Search found 18 matches

by blueparrot1966
08 Feb 2009, 19:53
Forum: Campfire
Topic: Any other "old farts" playing HMM here?
Replies: 63
Views: 23649

Wow, a blast from the past! I was searching for something else, and came across this. And I started it, lol. Fallout 3, a distant prospect then, has been out for months now, and in my opinion, it's better than I'd hoped for, even if it IS geared towards a console world. It's a lot of fun right out o...
by blueparrot1966
31 May 2006, 02:48

MOO2 was all right, I think it was just a victim of high expectations. I never liked the look they chose for it, very washed out and steely as I recall. Archon, yes, I'd forgotten that one! That was one of the reasons I always fell for the HMM battle style, I think. Fallout 3 is officially a Bethesd...
by blueparrot1966
30 May 2006, 22:25

Age of Wonders was a pretty respectable "spiritual" sequel to MOM. MOO2 was competent but uninspiring sequel to MOO, and I agree, MOO3 is best forgotten. I hear Bethesda has the nod for another Fallout, but Oblivion left me cold, and I worry now that that's not a good thing. I swear, I'd p...
by blueparrot1966
30 May 2006, 22:18

I've been happy enough with the battle AI so far. I'm just getting used to the different scale and pace of V. As for where I am on the "old-fart-O-meter", my first computer was a Commodore 128d. I was high tech, I had TWICE the memory of a C64. :-D I remember stuff like Questron and the Se...
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 18:28
Forum: Heroes V-VI
Topic: Week of...
Replies: 28
Views: 6997

I never figured out what exactly changed the random seed, but like Metathron, I used to rearrange things to avoid a week of the plague. Even on day 7, you could avoid one if you shuffled things around. I could even live with something where you knew the schedule, you KNEW, say, that week 5 coming up...
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 18:24
Topic: Likes and dislikes...
Replies: 16
Views: 4283

Oh yeah? That's too bad, I thought the archers weren't retaliating because I'd already used 'em or something. Would've been a nice touch.
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 18:02
Topic: Likes and dislikes...
Replies: 16
Views: 4283

Likes and dislikes...

I know some of this has already been gone over, but I just thought I'd throw out some snapshot impressions of the choices they made, art and sound wise. -I think I feel an overall WoW influence in the look of the game, and I know not everyone digs that, but it's fine by me. -Griffins were always one...
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 17:47
Topic: There is not enough resources...
Replies: 22
Views: 10532

Oh, don't get me wrong. The campaigns of HMM III were great, and even the basic game came with TONS of good content. HMM III is in my personal top 10 of all time gaming goodness. But the quality of the writing was still lousy, lol.
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 17:42

Don't know what you're getting at exactly, Titan, but I was done with 6th grate in 1977. :-D Yep, it's all about bad Engrish. Things like "ur" drive me up the wall too. ne one else agree?
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 15:44

There is not enough resources...

First, to be fair, two things- 1) HMM III had about 6th grade level writing quality in the stories, sad but true. and 2) This is a game made by people who are not native English speakers, and I'm glad they even HAVE an English version. But fer chrissakes guys. There is not enough resources? With the...
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 15:22
Topic: A month of bad luck
Replies: 30
Views: 16341

When I play H III, week of the plague is almost always an automatic "do over" for me. I'll go back on saved games until I get ANY other result. I'm not against the week system, but it's a big balance issue for me. The benefit or loss shouldn't be some overwhelming thing. Good weeks shouldn...
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 15:04

Hey, if folks like H IV, it's a free country. I never understood people flaming over it. And I actually DID like the graphics, unlike a lot of people. The thing I could never forgive IV for was the utterly nonexistent AI. It was worthless as a single player game imho. I'm worried about H V for the s...
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 03:30

"Old fart" is all relative, of course. But playing WoW (the only mmorpg I ever got into) taught me that I AM one, at 39. There was a platoon of 30 and 40 somethings (and above) playing, but we were always surrounded by a regiment, an ARMY of 25 and unders. It really started to sink in with...
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 02:09

Any other "old farts" playing HMM here?

I go all the way back to King's Bounty on my Commodore 64, and this has been one of the best franchises of gaming goodness in the history of the hobby. KB and Heroes I and II were all respectable progressions of the genre. I was one of the people who actually LIKED the opera bits in HMM II. Also, an...
by blueparrot1966
29 May 2006, 02:04
Topic: Heroes 5 Musical Score
Replies: 30
Views: 10474

And I thought I was the only geek out there who even REMEMBERED the operatic stuff from HMM II. Brings a tear to my eye (sniff). But seriously, as I recall, about 1/3 of us liked the opera stuff, 2/3 did not. There was an option to just turn off THAT part of the music as I recall, so I never underst...
by blueparrot1966
28 May 2006, 20:24
Topic: This is a manual?
Replies: 85
Views: 21019

The racket of charging $20 for a game guide has always hacked me off, even for (rare) well documented games. With the so called "manual" HMM V comes with, I'll be @#$!-ed if I'm going to give them a nickel for the guide. As others here have stated, I think Nival knew dang well that fan sit...
by blueparrot1966
28 May 2006, 18:13
Topic: A suggestion for the adventure map
Replies: 3
Views: 1996

Sure, that's the sort of thing I've been doing, and I agree, fat chance it'll be implemented. But it'd sure be nice if I could tell, obviously, at a glance, where I can and can't go. Like most everyone, I agree that this game is flat out gorgeous. But I'm always finding myself wishing for that HMM I...
by blueparrot1966
28 May 2006, 17:17
Topic: A suggestion for the adventure map
Replies: 3
Views: 1996

A suggestion for the adventure map

There's obviously a grid at work on the adventure map just as there is on the battle map. It'd be nice if I could make that grid visible, as I can on the tactical level. Anyone know a way to do that, or mod it, or patch it...? The 3D adventure map is gorgeous, like the rest of the game, but I'd like...

Go to advanced search