There is not enough resources...

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

There is not enough resources...

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 29 May 2006, 15:44

First, to be fair, two things- 1) HMM III had about 6th grade level writing quality in the stories, sad but true. and 2) This is a game made by people who are not native English speakers, and I'm glad they even HAVE an English version.

But fer chrissakes guys. There is not enough resources? With the millions that go into the production of a game, how much more time and effort is it to have a competent English speaker vet the text contents of a game? Are the non English versions of this game this rocky, can anyone tell me?

(sigh) I see this year after year, and the writing is no better even when the designers ARE English speaking. It's embarrassing. And people wonder why computer gaming is still considered kid stuff by the mainstream...

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 17:00

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: There is not enough resources...

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 17:10

blueparrot1966 wrote:1) HMM III had about 6th grade level writing quality in the stories, sad but true.
Maybe 6th grade where ur from. It's at least 9th grade down here. Mostly because it doesn't make you wonder how those people ever passed 1st grade.

And the Original H3 campaign is leaps and bound better then the H5 one, storywise.

SOMEBODY SET UP US THE BOMB! (now read it backwards)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 17:35

It's all about bad Engrish.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 17:36

@DL
Nah.... i probalby mean US TO BELONG ARE BASE YOUR ALL.

And when did the mainstream know about great stories anyway? They think it's kids stuff because that's how it's been marketed.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 29 May 2006, 17:42

Don't know what you're getting at exactly, Titan, but I was done with 6th grate in 1977. :-D Yep, it's all about bad Engrish. Things like "ur" drive me up the wall too. ne one else agree?

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 May 2006, 17:44

blueparrot1966 wrote: But fer chrissakes guys. There is not enough resources? With the millions that go into the production of a game, how much more time and effort is it to have a competent English speaker vet the text contents of a game? Are the non English versions of this game this rocky, can anyone tell me?

(sigh) I see this year after year, and the writing is no better even when the designers ARE English speaking. It's embarrassing. And people wonder why computer gaming is still considered kid stuff by the mainstream...
I heartily agree here but disagree about HoMM III. In my opinion that game had great campaigns and competent writing, as did the rest of the series for the most part.

Beats me why the HoMM V team didn't invest into a relatively skilled speaker/student/translator of english. I'm sure it's not that big of a distraction to the majority of players, but to myself, being a student of languages (and the English language in particular), it is above-average annoying I guess.
Last edited by Metathron on 29 May 2006, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 17:46

Well, the next time Markal tells Godric "All your Castles are belong to us", we'll know what's going on!

blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 29 May 2006, 17:47

Oh, don't get me wrong. The campaigns of HMM III were great, and even the basic game came with TONS of good content. HMM III is in my personal top 10 of all time gaming goodness. But the quality of the writing was still lousy, lol.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 18:56

Metathron wrote: I heartily agree here but disagree about HoMM III. In my opinion that game had great campaigns and competent writing, as did the rest of the series for the most part.
I belive he means that they weren't written by a true man of letters.

The thing about the 9th grade was about the things that end up in the national test between 8th and 9th grade where i'm from. Saying they lack logic is an understatement.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 29 May 2006, 19:05

I don't know what you mean with the grades, but the national tests between 8th and 9th don't include a foreign language exam.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 19:08

6th grade level writing quality
Notice something?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 May 2006, 01:27

it would be nice if they paid someone who wasn't a junior to do the grammar and spelling checks into english, hey, i'm available

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 May 2006, 01:30

while i'm going strong, can i just say

There ARE not enough resources

and ur is not something that irritates me, but the misuse of your and you're.

You use your when something belongs to you .... your jacket, your dog etc, you're is used in place of You Are .... you're not very smart, you're an illiterate peasant etc ;)

:-D

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 30 May 2006, 04:19

stefan.urlus wrote:you're not very smart, you're an illiterate peasant etc ;)

Oh, what a give away. Did you here that, did you here that, eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing me, you saw it didn't you? What are you then... a King?

Oh king, eh, very nice. An' how'd you get that, eh? By exploitin' the workers -- by 'angin' on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic an' social differences in our society! If there's ever going to be any progress--

Oh, never mind... you're no fun anymore.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 May 2006, 04:39

Did you here that, did you here that, eh
unless im missing a joke here

Did you hear that, did you hear that, eh

:-D :devil:

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 30 May 2006, 04:49

Heroes 3, The Restoration of Erathia at least, was very light on exposition. There quality of the existing story was quite passable, it was the lack of plot development that was the problem. Luckily, the plot development got much better in Armageddon's Blade, Shadow of Death, and Heroes 4.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 30 May 2006, 05:35

stefan.urlus wrote: unless im missing a joke here
You're missing a joke... BIG TIME.

On a side note:

WARNING: Grammar Police WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!!

The Grammar Police (GP) work undercover in public places such as Internet Boards and Newsgroups. They do nothing to draw attention to themselves, but casually eavesdrop until they overhear someone butchering our fine language. Upon observation of an offense, they blow a whistle and do everything they can to draw public attention as hidden officers produce a large whiteboard and force the victim -er- *criminal* to diagram their sentence. This anal-retentive attention to detail, though unrequested and off-topic, is often quite annoying to those around the self-righteous GP.

Really folks... GET A LIFE.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 30 May 2006, 06:10

come on wolfshanze ... where's your sense of adventure?? :-D

so what joke did i miss?? go on, share

i don't normally comment on grammar or spelling in boards, since most people either type in a hurry and make a mistake, or simply don't know how to spell or structure a sentence ... but i am especially wary of doing it on boards with an international membership, due to english being a second language for a lot of people, besides, if i can understand what they're saying it doesn't really matter ...

i try not to let my prejudices run away with me ;)

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 30 May 2006, 09:13

Wolfshanze wrote:
stefan.urlus wrote:you're not very smart, you're an illiterate peasant etc ;)

Oh, what a give away. Did you here that, did you here that, eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing me, you saw it didn't you? What are you then... a King?

Oh king, eh, very nice. An' how'd you get that, eh? By exploitin' the workers -- by 'angin' on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic an' social differences in our society! If there's ever going to be any progress--

Oh, never mind... you're no fun anymore.
I wonder if you had to check that up or could spell it out of your memory.

Some call me..... Tim. I'm going to clap some coconuts together now. And moose just bit me, with mexican llamas dancing in the background. And my favourite color is blue by the way, wait no, yelloooooow.

Return to “Campfire”