Week of...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Week of...

Unread postby Metathron » 29 May 2006, 13:38

What do you think of this new "feature"?

It seems it has no effect when there's a plain animal name, but other times it does.

I was quite shocked when for a week my mines and town weren't producing any resources and was in doubt whether implementing this was a good idea.

Another week, of sorrow, I think, decreses the morale of haven, sylvan and academy troops in battle.

There are others as well, but I do not remember what they were any more.

So, what is your opinion? Has a particular week affected you in a good or bad way?
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 29 May 2006, 13:50

I think this is an interesting new feature. Of course there can be disatvantages, but that makes it exciting.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 29 May 2006, 14:09

It's not a new feature though, they've just added effects to the Week of-concept that's been there in previous games.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 29 May 2006, 14:09

I think the "Weeks of..." are great. And in french version there are a lot of jokes in the week descriptions :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 May 2006, 14:13

Heres what I think about those dumb weeks :disagree:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 14:18

Marzhin wrote: And in french version there are a lot of jokes in the week descriptions :D
In the English version there are alot of mistakes in the week descriptions... ;) Guess it all evens out, ey...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 29 May 2006, 14:33

I think this is a great feature, no longer dull weeks except those releated to town and neutral creatures. Now theres skill, resources and ability related weeks too which is just nice like:
Week of gold, yeah thats right, double INCOME from gold mines and towns :D

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 29 May 2006, 15:17

And the reviews say nival wasn't innovative.

I think it adds a nice random factor which might affect what you are building and when you do certain things.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 29 May 2006, 15:47

The idea to have more varied weeks is a sound one, I think. The problem is that the effects are too often too strong- no income? 1/3 growth? Stuff like that can really ruin a game if you're unlucky.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 May 2006, 15:54

Instead of weeks,random events would be way better.Every day,there could be a chance(lets say 10%)for a random event.Something like lossing half the gold to thiefs,riot in a certain town preventing building for that day,better training gives more recruits,etc.

Raspyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Raspyn » 29 May 2006, 15:59

On the 2nd last misssion of the campaign, I got one of those weeks that worked out heavily in my favor, for the final fight of that mission.

I got one where it was -2 luck for necromancer, warlock and inferno troops.

Having all the enemy at -2 luck made the fight considerably easier :)

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 29 May 2006, 16:16

the problem for me is that they stick for a whole week. aside from that more random elements are fine.

but I still think that the options should be enhanced. things should be able to be turned off.

if anyone here is into 2d fighters you should check out street fighter 3 third strike.

a whole system made just so you can tweak game play. that's what I've been asking for since the beginning. TWEAKABILITY.

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 29 May 2006, 16:30

Hate it, some have way too strong effects.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 May 2006, 17:35

Gaidal Cain wrote:The idea to have more varied weeks is a sound one, I think. The problem is that the effects are too often too strong- no income? 1/3 growth? Stuff like that can really ruin a game if you're unlucky.
I am in general quite enthusiastic about this new feature, but what GC says is true - these things can have a huge impact, even to the point of messing up your game and perhaps even putting you off completely. In the last mission of the haven campaign, I had no income for a week (or was that two?) which made me finish the scenario much later than is the 'norm'. I suppose this could be balanced by decreasing the power of some of the 'negative' weeks, for example I would much rather be stricken by -2 luck than with no income for a week or some such.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 29 May 2006, 17:50

Is the 'Week of...' decided at the turn of the day, or earlier? (In H3, if you reloaded you might get a new selection, in WoG it was decided by day 2 of the week.) If the former, this would allow for reloading if you were getting a terrible choice.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 May 2006, 17:56

Bethel wrote:Is the 'Week of...' decided at the turn of the day, or earlier? (In H3, if you reloaded you might get a new selection, in WoG it was decided by day 2 of the week.) If the former, this would allow for reloading if you were getting a terrible choice.
Reminds to what great lengths I went in Homm II to prevent plague from happening - buying available creatures from towns, rearranging their order, hiring new heroes, building new buildings...And I'd succeed 90% of the time! :-D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 May 2006, 18:10

Bethel wrote:Is the 'Week of...' decided at the turn of the day, or earlier? (In H3, if you reloaded you might get a new selection, in WoG it was decided by day 2 of the week.) If the former, this would allow for reloading if you were getting a terrible choice.
I dont know how random seed works this time.But it is very preserving(and annoying)thats for sure.

blueparrot1966
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby blueparrot1966 » 29 May 2006, 18:28

I never figured out what exactly changed the random seed, but like Metathron, I used to rearrange things to avoid a week of the plague. Even on day 7, you could avoid one if you shuffled things around.

I could even live with something where you knew the schedule, you KNEW, say, that week 5 coming up was going to be a good week to buy troops, or a lousy one. That's been the way of it in real life for centuries. Start a campaign during the month of Ramadan, or plan an attack on Christmas eve, that sort of thing.

Game wise, I think Civ III and IV did it best. If you think save/reload is for punks, you can choose to preserve the random seed. The rest of us can "cheat" all we want, lol.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 29 May 2006, 19:56

I don't think you can change the weeks once the map is loaded now- seems to be a separate seed for that.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 29 May 2006, 23:02

I found a great FAQ listing all possible 'weeks':

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/ ... _weeks.txt

Return to “Heroes V-VI”