Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
axlns
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

Unread postby axlns » 10 Jul 2024, 07:21

Hi, thanks for all your hard work on MMMerge project.

I have a problem, I started game few days ago only installing latest MMMerge pack and patch for it. Today I made new clean installation following this instruction https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install and choosing Revamp branch. My problem is that after I loaded my save game from previous installation (with only merge pack) all my skills where I was at least Expert were promoted to grand master level, which made my team VERY powerful and obviously ruining game play :)

So for example my Sorc had Air magic skill of 5 with expert level, now she has same skill level of 5, but with grand level. and that happened for all skills with at least Expert level for all characters. Skills where I did not have any "promotion", such as expert or master, are unaffected. For example my knight had repair item skill of 9, but without expert level in it - this remain as it was.

So I did another clean installation, but now I chose Rodril-fixes branch, this worked normally, skills promotions are not affected.
But I really like to try Revamp branch as it has some nice to have features.

Did I install something wrong? Or maybe there is some bug? I can send my save game file if this help. Thanks again!
Last edited by axlns on 10 Jul 2024, 08:09, edited 2 times in total.

Robbie19911
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Robbie19911 » 13 Jul 2024, 17:50

Love the mod! the dream of a kid come true!

QQ - with the newest patch i have some issue with finding a merc that i'm looking for in training grounds. I started in mm7 world with Ranger, Vampire, dark elf, archer and was hoping to recruit villain Paladin later on as overall i want to pick the light patch. the only 3 classes (with promotions mix) that i'm finding are sorcerer, cleric (mm8) and Knight. Any idea why and if it is possible to change it?

TIA

Kinox
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Kinox » 14 Jul 2024, 22:00

Robbie19911 wrote: 13 Jul 2024, 17:50 Love the mod! the dream of a kid come true!

QQ - with the newest patch i have some issue with finding a merc that i'm looking for in training grounds. I started in mm7 world with Ranger, Vampire, dark elf, archer and was hoping to recruit villain Paladin later on as overall i want to pick the light patch. the only 3 classes (with promotions mix) that i'm finding are sorcerer, cleric (mm8) and Knight. Any idea why and if it is possible to change it?

TIA
Depending on very specific Character outputs, for Recruits Randomization, is complicated and may take a lot of time of on/off game time.

What I would do in such circumstance, is using CE (Cheat Engine) --a free to download app in the web.
Basically, there is a post here with the CE file which provides basis to edit all 50 Playable Characters in MMMerge.
You may change plenty of things there, such as the Class (including the Promotion type: Paladin/Crusader/Hero/Villain).

So, what I'd recommend, is that you Recruit to your Party the first Paladin/Crusader that appears, and then just edit that Character's Class (Promotion) to "Villain" using CE. That would do. The link is here: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... ne#p392199

You could do that with a Hero as well, but then, because of possible Alignment Skills differences between Promotions, to make it perfect, you might have to manually edit some of the Skills too in CE; or wait until you achieve the Villain Promotion Quest, which I believe, in MMMerge, would allow to swap even a Hero into a Villain, retroactively resetting any of the Aligned Learned Skills.

Black_Triad
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Black_Triad » 18 Jul 2024, 15:05

Is this thread a good place to report possible bugs or is there a bug tracker elsewhere?

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 19 Jul 2024, 12:56

The attributes of monsters summoned by Druids are not affected by the setting of "Bolster Monsters". But if the game progress is reload after summoning, the attributes of the summoned monsters will be affected by the setting of "Bolster Monsters".
Reproduce steps:
1. Keeping the "Bolster Monsters" is on, "Bolstering power" is 100% or above, party member of Druid level 25 or above, Scripts.EnableDruidSummoner in modsettings.txt is 1.
2.Summoned a monster on current map using the spell of earth by Druid, and record the HP of the summoned monster as HP1.
3.Save game and reload it.
4.Now Check the HP of summoned monster, it's far greater than HP1.
This issue doesn't affect the game, it just looks confusing. :)

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 29 Jul 2024, 10:51

toadking wrote: 19 Jul 2024, 12:56 The attributes of monsters summoned by Druids are not affected by the setting of "Bolster Monsters". But if the game progress is reload after summoning, the attributes of the summoned monsters will be affected by the setting of "Bolster Monsters".
Reproduce steps:
1. Keeping the "Bolster Monsters" is on, "Bolstering power" is 100% or above, party member of Druid level 25 or above, Scripts.EnableDruidSummoner in modsettings.txt is 1.
2.Summoned a monster on current map using the spell of earth by Druid, and record the HP of the summoned monster as HP1.
3.Save game and reload it.
4.Now Check the HP of summoned monster, it's far greater than HP1.
This issue doesn't affect the game, it just looks confusing. :)
I tried adding a line "BolsterMonster()" to the EventCastSpell function , then the setting of "Bolster Monsters" can work on creatures summoned by Druids. Maybe this way can be used as a reference. :)

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 02 Aug 2024, 09:18

Sorry for bothering you multiple times, can you help confirm if this rule is correct?
In my games with the last master branch patch, whether it's the Troll Master Monk or the Minotaur Master Monk, their SP is always 5, no matter how many levels they level up. For example, a level 10 Troll Master Monk and a level 60 Troll Master Monk both have the same SP of 5.
Thank you very much.

10bladedswallow
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 10bladedswallow » 03 Aug 2024, 17:55

toadking wrote: 02 Aug 2024, 09:18 Sorry for bothering you multiple times, can you help confirm if this rule is correct?
In my games with the last master branch patch, whether it's the Troll Master Monk or the Minotaur Master Monk, their SP is always 5, no matter how many levels they level up. For example, a level 10 Troll Master Monk and a level 60 Troll Master Monk both have the same SP of 5.
Thank you very much.
is there a change in spell points depending on how much personality the character has?
the number can be viewed and/or edited in the merge folder>Data>tables>class hp sp.txt
it sounds like the base SP is 5 and SPfactor is 0 for the Master class, although if the spell points don't change with more personality points it might be something else.

AndyB
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AndyB » 11 Aug 2024, 12:31

Hi,

Cant get into the breach basement. Have retrieved my party, solved all the riddles and runaway chaos has joined my party. I have watched a youtube video where one clicks on the area with the rubbish outside. All i get is a message that states "it seems that the entrance does not lead to the dark dwarves compound."

Any help would be really appreciated.

justl
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby justl » 13 Aug 2024, 16:32

AndyB wrote: 11 Aug 2024, 12:31 Hi,

Cant get into the breach basement. Have retrieved my party, solved all the riddles and runaway chaos has joined my party. I have watched a youtube video where one clicks on the area with the rubbish outside. All i get is a message that states "it seems that the entrance does not lead to the dark dwarves compound."

Any help would be really appreciated.
have you tried the good old spacebar?
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 13 Aug 2024, 23:38

The hitboxes for the doors in The Breach are... not very good. You'll need to click with your mouse on the hotspots. Spacebar will be insufficient.

Kinox
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Kinox » 16 Aug 2024, 22:00

N7Kopper wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 15:42
Kinox wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 17:57 I cannot use CE to Rename Characters, nor to change their biographies. If you or anyone here in the forums knows if this is possible and how, that would be great information!
That's exactly what I figured out! I'm still doing my playthrough (being in a very interesting position between avoiding spoilers and actively using CE to modify characters to build my party), so I haven't finished editing the CE lists yet, but I do in fact know how. The trick is to look at the character's bio in the Adventurer's Inn, and then search for that text string. After searching, pick the result that has "mm8.exe" and is written in green. And the "00" thing just means that MM8 uses null-terminated strings. Write your names and bios within reasonable limits, then put 00 at the end.
Hi again! Sorry about delay, but only recently I've been able to retake my investigation on these CE questions and figure out some aspects of your explanation in situ.

Thanks to your instructions, I was able to:
Search, find and edit, the String(s) for Characters' Names and Biographies using but CE (not mm8che). I'm partially successful; there are still some issues that I have found, and a bit of updating work to be done.

On one hand, I just didn't get enough time to uncover each of those addresses and update it, for the full set of the 50 Playable Characters, in the CT file. That would be a next goal for me. There is an automation for that in CE, and I already know the linear progression math addition that exists, regularly, between each different Character's address for any (un)mapped attribute/property sequence. In hexadecimals, that would be, to add/subtract exactly this value (containing 8 case values at total): [+0 +0 +0 +0 +1 +D +2 +8 ] or just [ +1 +D +2 +8 ], also readable as [+00 +00 +00 +00 +01 +13 +02 +08 ] to whicever Character address found (for example, a true, editable Character's Name address, or a true, editable Character's Biography address).

On another hand, issues:
Though I was to reproduce the "After searching, pick the result that has 'mm8.exe' and is writte in green", the problem is that often or always, there are more than one value appearing in green! So, it's confusing; but with a few trial-and-error, it is possible to find the correct address. Doing it while the player is inside the Adventurer's Inn, makes even more addresses to pop up! so it does't sound a good idea; better do the Search outside of the building.
But, the major problem I have now, while directly editing those Strings for Name and Bios (Biographies) of a Character, is that the Spacebar symbol (digital character, but I'll call "symbol" to avoid any confusion), so, literally, this empty space: " ",just overrides already existing written symbol for Name/Bio. I haven't found a way to ERASE/DELETE symbols from those Strings, directly by String edition in CE. So, it is very easy to override a Character's Name or Bios with a LONGER text. But, if needed to make any of those into SHORTER texts, I don't know how as of yet. Thus, "Ethel" can be easily turned into "Drugomniel", but "Drugomniel" to "Ethel" would become "Ethelmniel"! Spacebars don't really erase, they create real symbol space, which affects the position of the text in the UI! (but this fact is rendered more evident for the Names than in the Bios). Also, there is a "Placeholder" default String lurking on certain Names I guess.

I found no utility for adding "00" anywhere in the Strings in the end of the text; maybe I was adding in the wrong way or method? Perhaps, that relates to the ERASE/DELETE functionality I am looking for, but that must it be set then in another method that is not String then?

An easy trick that I've found, while catching the Names' address (before an automation work update, that is), was to first Search the Bios address of a Character (e.g., Ethel - Knight), override any "Ethel" mention; and THEN, re-Search for "Ethel" Strings, as there will be less results to be confused with.

Ok, that's it for now! I'll keep looking for updating this stuff; if any of you guys have some contribution to make, especially regarding CE and MMMerge, feel free give your feedback; will be highly appretiated. :up:

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

EDIT: Found a solution! :yes:

By just double-clicking, for example, a Character's found Name address, it goes to the addresses' list ("add selected addresses to the addresslist"); down there, there already exists a basic setup to solve the mentioned text issues. In the Type column, if it is set to String, the Length of the word can be set (e.g., 7, for a Character named Arkoidh), while the Value column then can be set to any typed Name with the chosen Length. Naturally, must mark its corresponding address checkbox, as usual for CT files, for applying changes to the game.
As for the Biography addresses, I bet it can be the same process.

Now, I just have to fix the CT file updates... :D

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 19 Aug 2024, 08:40

toadking wrote: 02 Aug 2024, 09:18 Sorry for bothering you multiple times, can you help confirm if this rule is correct?
Thank you very much.
Troll has +2 HP/lvl and -2 SP/lvl. Mino has +1.5 HP/lvl and -1.5 SP/lvl. See https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wikis/Revamp/HP-SP and Data/Tables/RaceHPSP.txt.

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 19 Aug 2024, 15:39

Might be a good idea to set a lower limit to HP/SP growth, even if as little as 0.25/level. Having no SP pool except for from items is too harsh a penalty!

toh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby toh » 19 Aug 2024, 20:04

I dont know if it is unfixable or was reported already:
i remapped some of keys. (they show in english in the game).
if i use Russian keyboard layout - half of my buttons dont work. i have to switch to english layout.

also:
Chiming sound of quest book update has annoying buzzing ending to it (barely audiable but still. like a vibration from mobile phone or a wooden door squeeking). I dont remember it in original.
Is there a somewhat easy way to edit this sound?
i dont mind to do it for myself. Just please guide me a little bit.

ps. Yeah it is in original too. i wonder how could i not have heard it before (played for hundreds of hours when i was a kid)

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 20 Aug 2024, 07:38

Tomsod wrote: 19 Aug 2024, 15:39 Might be a good idea to set a lower limit to HP/SP growth, even if as little as 0.25/level. Having no SP pool except for from items is too harsh a penalty!
Increasing both spell cost and class SP Factor looks more promising to me. With race spells for all races and [therefore] Meditation for everyone.

iAxel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby iAxel » 20 Aug 2024, 23:54

1. I can use RTSS (afterburner) with the MMMerge? Its need me for look fps and enable scan sync vsync. Or what API (directx, opengl etc) using?
2. How i can enable "Accelerated 3D audio" if i click disable checkbox, after restart a game, checkbox again return. I dont need directsound3d and i dont have Creative card i need just increase quality of sound in this maybe old but good game and i just want turn on Miles fast 2d i think it just basic stereo and its okay.
3. Music is always louder than other sounds in the game, i know what music in the past doesnt play and i think its ok for very old game like M&M but it can fix?

iAxel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby iAxel » 21 Aug 2024, 01:26

4. And last question. I can run two copy of Merge on one PC for playing in multiplayer mod with myself?

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 22 Aug 2024, 20:58

Daedros wrote: 17 Jun 2024, 08:36 Just thought i'd mention this. A tabletop HoMM game is coming out, and it's based in Enroth. Looks like Ubisoft is going back to Enroth.
https://bleedingcool.com/games/heroes-o ... announced/

Wonder if the success of this "Might & Magic Merge: World of Enroth" had any influence on that decision.
Looks like i was right. Ubisoft just announced "Heroes of Might and Magic: Olden Era" which is going back to Jadame. They're making it function more like HoMM 3.

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/ ... t-gamescom
"Releasing on PC in Steam Early Access in the first half of 2025, Olden Era is set before the events of the first game, and will take players back to the world of Enroth and the continent of Jadame. Featuring new factions, biomes, and creatures, Jadame has been referenced but never explored in the main Might and Magic series."
Lol, what? The dude who wrote that is obviously unaware of Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer, which takes place in Jadame.

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 22 Aug 2024, 22:48

Generously, they could mean it was never explored completely, as the eastern half of the continent was not featured in the game. But yeah, probably a blunder of the article writer.

Return to “Might and Magic”