We all played HOMM V for some time and it's time to choose..

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What is your favorite faction in HOMM V?

Heaven
10%
Inferno
12%
Necropolis
24%
Dungeon
23%
Sylvan
16%
Academy
15%

Total votes: 164

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Sigh...

Unread postby Humakt » 17 Jul 2006, 14:33

wolf8t8t wrote:Again I state it, necro is far superior to any of the other races. And for those that like warlock ok great but don't go around saying they are the best race. There not. They really don't have much combat durability, they grow too slow, and cost too much. Aside from hydras and minotaurs all of their units once you get in their faces can't hold their own. And yeah you can say the same for necro units but look at it this way; You get skeletons for free, zombies growth and price makes up for their lack of everything, ghosts are hard to hit with haunt mine you can get them for free, vamps raise themselves, lichs are pimps, wraiths are a decent unit (would rather have death knights) and dragons grow +1 with the graveyard to make up for their lack of strength. Everything is also pretty dirt cheap too.

Also the whole raise dead thing is nice and all but there are a lot more strategies available. I would rather much build up a hero and take advantage of all the different abilities the necro heroes can get. Haunt mine is one of favs for no real reason at all. Yeah 25 ghosts is kinda worthless but more mines to take the more you get for free, that and harvasting skeletons is always fun.
Maybe YOU missed that this topic was about FAVOURITE faction not the BEST one. In any case, I still tend to think that the best faction still depends on map like in earlier heroes, for instance Necromancy changes from overpowered skill to very weak skill when there are few higher level guardians compared to lots of weak level ones, even the map size. It's rather easy to make a map where every faction has equal starting area but the map would favour certain alignment over others since it would be more suitable to their overall strategy or faction's elements. We just need the map editor.

As for the topic; I don't have clear favourites, but the new style and feel of Academy certainly is appealing to me.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Jul 2006, 14:52

I dont think its quite because of the balance.More likely it is because the game is new and we still havent explored them to the fullest,but all of them have some interesting tactics and abilities.Even the plain old boring human faction has a breath of fresh air around it.

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant
Location: Somewhere out there in the Infernal Plane (Near 52°07'N 20°38'E)

Unread postby howgrizzly » 17 Jul 2006, 16:09

DaemianLucifer wrote:I dont think its quite because of the balance.More likely it is because the game is new and we still havent explored them to the fullest,but all of them have some interesting tactics and abilities.Even the plain old boring human faction has a breath of fresh air around it.
I think that we played the hell-out-of these maps that we have and can say that it's explored enough to choose our favorite factions, strategies and stuff. We know about all the abilities and how they work. The game is being modded for gods sake!!! (many mods are great by the way).
In one I agree, the "old boring human" as you called them have a new touch and I must recommend the older skin mod for Haven units from www.elrath.com they look ravishing :D

PS. I'm 100% with Humakt 2 posts earlier.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

Sixy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sixy » 17 Jul 2006, 16:53

Go-go Academy! Yeeeeey! Go-go Week of Worry! : )

They are my best, my favourite, my PRECIOUS with all those cute elephants, the arabian-style, the headless genies, the hookahs, and all the funny stories about them. Oh, and my favourite Academy-start is Havez with a lot of gremlins, and a nice little artifact. Nothing can stop me, yeeeeey! : )

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 17 Jul 2006, 19:47

howgrizzly wrote: I think that we played the hell-out-of these maps that we have and can say that it's explored enough to choose our favorite factions, strategies and stuff. We know about all the abilities and how they work. The game is being modded for gods sake!!! (many mods are great by the way).
In one I agree, the "old boring human" as you called them have a new touch and I must recommend the older skin mod for Haven units from www.elrath.com they look ravishing :D

PS. I'm 100% with Humakt 2 posts earlier.
Balance apears only when mp is going 24/7. And even then some gamers have different opinions about balance betwen factions. Yes you know all abilities and so on, but have you tested them against human player a lot? Against various different factions controled by human? Many things which looks nice on paper and works nice against AI most of the time apears to be completely useless against thinking opponent. And as Humakt said topic is about favorite faction, not about best one. I voted because i like drows, i could care less if they have empowered spells or some other nice abilities.

wolf8t8t
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

OFF TOPIC!!!

Unread postby wolf8t8t » 18 Jul 2006, 01:02

Wow you nerds are really sensitive about your hero factions. One word like warlock is for losers.... or demons are weak.... or Necros are the BEST AND FAVORITE faction and all of you go off in frenzies. Kinda funny! and I leave you with this simple 6 letter word

SQUIDS! yes that's right your all a bunch of squids. Now make with the comments for they entertain me.

Wolf

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Jul 2006, 01:25

nice work wolf .... that was very constructive

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Jul 2006, 02:06

Very constructive indeed.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: OFF TOPIC!!!

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 18 Jul 2006, 05:15

wolf8t8t wrote:Wow you nerds are really sensitive about your hero factions. One word like warlock is for losers.... or demons are weak.... or Necros are the BEST AND FAVORITE faction and all of you go off in frenzies. Kinda funny! and I leave you with this simple 6 letter word

SQUIDS! yes that's right your all a bunch of squids. Now make with the comments for they entertain me.

Wolf
Wow, our very own troll! :)

GOW

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 18 Jul 2006, 05:29

Trolls didn't make the H5 cut . . . and I'll leave it at that.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 18 Jul 2006, 06:39

Squids... Relentless 8 armed predators.

err.. that must be a compliment then! :D

(as if I care what some new kid preaches at this early stage of playing the game)
Last edited by wimfrits on 18 Jul 2006, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Jul 2006, 06:48

anyway, enough about that .... back to enjoying the factions, even though i picked sylvan and mentioned my favourites as dungeon, sylvan and inferno, i do really enjoy necro and to a lesser degree haven (have not played enough with academy to make a true judgement) so at this stage it doesn't look like i will have any disliked factions, which speaks well for longevity and hopefully will carry over to any new races in an expansion

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 18 Jul 2006, 07:30

Did you ever thought of combining Haven and Necropolis?
You can train units and change them to your liking :D.
It reminds me of zerg infecting terran base.
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 Jul 2006, 07:53

wolf8t8t wrote:Wow you nerds are really sensitive about your hero factions. One word like warlock is for losers.... or demons are weak.... or Necros are the BEST AND FAVORITE faction and all of you go off in frenzies. Kinda funny! and I leave you with this simple 6 letter word

Wolf
The man(or should I say the kid?)finished the campaigns and now hes an almighty heroes expert?Plus all of his arguments are based on name calling.Sounds a lot like the politicians in my country.A very nice role model indeed :no: What do you expect to achive by that(except a ban)?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 18 Jul 2006, 08:04

That's why I now have him on /ignore

Killroyan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Killroyan » 18 Jul 2006, 09:23

Alamar - Necropolis
Wimfrits - Inferno
All we need now is infiltrator stating dungeon and then all beta-testers have stuck to their own personals during the beta testing ;)

I vote acadamy because they are just plain fun and I really like the artificer skill. I think sylvan has some of the most powerfull units but I don't like the avenger skill.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 18 Jul 2006, 13:44

Inferno is of course my favorite, but Haven's coming in second. Ellaine's got one of the coolest specialties in the game. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

SCum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SCum » 18 Jul 2006, 15:26

Hm. Necropolis.

There is just something enchanting with the undead, as it is. Then the fact you get to play out the hordes of skeletal beings.. Well, it just adds to that dream.

Not that I have dreams of raising the dead to slaughter the living.. Not at all.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 18 Jul 2006, 15:31

I voted for the Necromancers. I felt most of the units were well done, even though I am not overly fond of the zombies or skeletal dragons. Necromancy, while not as powerful as before, it is a lot more balanced. Being able to raise legions of skeleton archers is a good idea, as opposed to raising 3 vampires after each battle. I liked the additional vampires, but it felt really overpowered. The spectres were so-so and kind of pricey, but I found they were a good follow-up unit, providing they weren't hit by a spell. The vampire lords are still at the top as one of the best units in any Heroes of Might and Magic game. The lich and its upgrades have become even more useful with the ability to cast spells. I really like the wraiths and even though the harm touch seems a bit useless, it sure is nice having when facing a summoned phoniex. As for the zombies and the skeltal dragons, they are good meat shields but I could do without them.

I've always like the Necros since their introduction and I am glad to see that they have remained a strong faction.

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 18 Jul 2006, 15:31

SCum wrote:Hm. Necropolis.

There is just something enchanting with the undead, as it is. Then the fact you get to play out the hordes of skeletal beings.. Well, it just adds to that dream.

Not that I have dreams of raising the dead to slaughter the living.. Not at all.
Muahahahah :D that was nice(creepy). I think that the Archangels look enchanting and I don't like the Angels anime-look. I think that their head isn't the best thing they could do.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Heroes V-VI”