Bugs in HV...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 30 May 2006, 23:12

Safaex wrote:I haven't read through all these posts but here's some that I couldn't find in Gaidal Cains list but which I have experienced.

The building on the adventure map from which you recruit peasents, have a special animation (chickens fighting each other). This animation only works properly from the time you stand next to the buildning (or enter it, not quite sure). Before this it's freezed (and it looks really buggy when you look at it start).

Second, sometime when I walk with my hero, it was either with Godric or Isabel in the campaign mode, his/her movement was increased while you move. Which means where you see the end of your dot trail, the orange ones (which shows you where you will have to stop for the day) are increased while you walk. Though the hero doesn't countinue on these additional dots, instead he/she will stop where the dots ended before you started travelling. After that you'll have to click again and move the additional ones, usually around 3 dots.

Other than this I'd just want to complain on the tree-shagging map (2:3). Utterly impossible. Even when I get my hands on Frenzy... it's just impossible :devious:
Your second item is listed in the "Buglist", as "Heroes stop moving without any apparent reason." I experienced that several times too. It's probably because the number of steps required to reach a certain target is miscalculated and updated only after the initial number of steps are taken. Then, it turns out that the hero has not used up all her movement points and new points appear.

The first item may be related to the fact that adventure objects start animating only after a visit by a hero. Until then all mines, dwellings, etc are dead. This is intended and nice, but I don't recall how a not-animated farm looks like. Do the chickens stand still, are they pale in color, etc?
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Safaex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Safaex » 31 May 2006, 00:36

Oh, it's a... "feature"! :). The chickens stand still yes, no animation at all. The start of the animation is a little twitchy, maybe thats why I thought of it as a bugg.
theGryphon wrote:Your second item is listed in the "Buglist", as "Heroes stop moving without any apparent reason." I experienced that several times too. It's probably because the number of steps required to reach a certain target is miscalculated and updated only after the initial number of steps are taken. Then, it turns out that the hero has not used up all her movement points and new points appear.
Well I read that sometimes a Hero can halt in the middle of its movement but the description of the bugg didn't really say that the movement length was increased as you moved (maybe that's what you ment anyway). I have expereinced when a hero just stops after ½ of its movement capacity, but this is different.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 31 May 2006, 10:45

Safaex wrote: Second, sometime when I walk with my hero, it was either with Godric or Isabel in the campaign mode, his/her movement was increased while you move. Which means where you see the end of your dot trail, the orange ones (which shows you where you will have to stop for the day) are increased while you walk. Though the hero doesn't countinue on these additional dots, instead he/she will stop where the dots ended before you started travelling. After that you'll have to click again and move the additional ones, usually around 3 dots.
Could stables be involved in this somehow?
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 May 2006, 11:01

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Safaex wrote: Second, sometime when I walk with my hero, it was either with Godric or Isabel in the campaign mode, his/her movement was increased while you move. Which means where you see the end of your dot trail, the orange ones (which shows you where you will have to stop for the day) are increased while you walk. Though the hero doesn't countinue on these additional dots, instead he/she will stop where the dots ended before you started travelling. After that you'll have to click again and move the additional ones, usually around 3 dots.
Could stables be involved in this somehow?
Actually,I think I noticed this bug a few times.You see that orange doesnt go all the way to a building,there is one white dot in between,but when you get near,suddenly you get a movement bost and reach the building.

Safaex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Safaex » 31 May 2006, 13:02

Yes stables could defenitely be involved as it has only happened to me with Haven so far. I'll have to check it out again and see if i can confirm if that's the reason.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Jun 2006, 10:53

I am not sure if you can call it a bug, more of a missing mechanic, but you can plot a hero path that will take you into combat on the way to the objective point. As opposed to in earlier games, where it would take a detour or not allow you to set the point if it meant there would be battle along the way. That was good, as it meant you didn't get into fights you didn't mean to. And in this game, where the graphics are very good at hiding mosnters and other stuff, it's even more important.

Another thing is that if you place the cursor on a castle it won't show a number telling how many turns it will take to get there.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 03 Jun 2006, 11:21

The really annoying part is that sometimes it does plot a detour. This made me lose twice on "The Ship" when my hero suddenly instead of running away ran straight into the enemy hero.

I think it might depend on if you go to an adjecent square (which also triggers the fight" or if you run straight through the square where the battle is.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Jun 2006, 11:39

My experience was that if you went straight through, it would send you right into a fight. Is that what you meant?
- Duke

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 03 Jun 2006, 11:41

I've seen all kinds of behavior. Clicking behind a creature stack either makes my hero
1) Run up to the exact square the enemy is at, fight it, then run to where I clicked.
2) Run up close to it, still fight it, then run tho where I clicked.
3) Take a detour, avoiding the fight.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Jun 2006, 11:43

Right... I haven't had that much experience, to encounter the full range of "options" ;| But how you describe it, acting in a nonconsistent manner, it sure sounds like some sort of bug.
- Duke

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 03 Jun 2006, 11:46

Actually, to be fair, I just remembered the reason for the detour could have something to do with me traveling underground and the game deciding that traveling aboveground was faster, regardless of the enemy hero standing there.

So I guess maybe it's not messed up after all.

What is a bit strange though, is basically when you click past a creature stack. If you can pass by it, you get green dots to mark the path. If you can't, the dots are red on the squares when you fight the enemy. This is all normal - BUT. If you can't reach the square you clicked in one day, the dots turn into gray, and they stay gray regardless of you will fight an enemy on the way or not. There should be two different colours, one for "you can't reach, but there are no enemy encounters along the way" and one for "you can't reach, but you'll fight enemies along the way."

Which I guess is what you were talking about in the first place. :)

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Jun 2006, 13:02

No, what I meant is that it shouldn't allow you to plot a line that make you have to fight enemies along the way at all. A line *to* the enemies, yes of course. But not a line past them that has them jumping you along the way, often unexpectedly if you didn't see them. It should plot a safe detour, or disallow plotting the route if there are no open detour.
- Duke

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 03 Jun 2006, 13:08

in my experience, the only time it will plan a route leading to a fight is when the ONLY way to what you want to reach implies combat.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Jun 2006, 13:28

Oh yeah, I think you're right. But it shouldn't do it then either.
- Duke

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 03 Jun 2006, 13:39

Ethric wrote:Oh yeah, I think you're right. But it shouldn't do it then either.
debatable, but i agree with you you should have a clear warning. on the other hand, it's a pin to have your hero make a huge detour to reach some place he could reach with beating 2 peasants in the process =/ when every movement point counts, this is frustrating. but i'm not sure there's a decent simple solution to that, unfortunately =/

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 03 Jun 2006, 15:49

I prefer having to make sure I'm not taking an unnecessary detour when the route seems a bit long, to loosing my entire army from an "ambush" by some creatures hidden behind some of those huge 3d trees.

And another bug\idiot feature: the shroud doesn't recede while you travel, rather it "updates" to your current position when you stop moving. I see no reason to not have it update as you go along.
- Duke

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 03 Jun 2006, 15:49

There is a chance that during saving or autosaving the PC automatically shuts down. It happens to me once per 15-20 saves and urged me to disable autosaving, what is very uncomfortable.
http://www.heroesportal.net -- More than 2000 maps for Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, III, IV. Forums and chat in heroic style! Various tourneys and everything a real hero needs!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 03 Jun 2006, 17:33

Ethric wrote:I prefer having to make sure I'm not taking an unnecessary detour when the route seems a bit long, to loosing my entire army from an "ambush" by some creatures hidden behind some of those huge 3d trees.
Then you should get a different coloured path, so you can see where the enemy and if you can handle it. Or maybe you should just learn to use the camera- creatures are usually easy to spot.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Jun 2006, 18:21

It plots a detour if one is available.But this really isnt a problem since if you are to run through your enemy all the donts behind will be red.A bigger problem is that ploted paths dont change.If you have a hero blocking your path and that hero moves,youll still take the longer path.Reverse can happen as well,allowing you to go trough your heroes.And if its a week of monsters,and a monster appears on your path,youll have to fight.

Suzuna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Suzuna » 04 Jun 2006, 03:02

Did anyone tried sacrificing creatures in Inferno towns?

Whenever the hero levels up by sacrificing creatures, it is possible to learn 2 (two) skills..
What happens is that the level up popup will NOT disappear after choosing your 1st skill (select and click OK)
The screen will remain the same as if nothing happened.
You can then select another skill apart from the 1st you selected and get a free skill :hoo:

So far i haven't noticed anyone posting about it...
Is it a bug or intended? :|

Return to “Heroes V-VI”