How do you like the new Dungeon side compared to Heroes 3?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What do you think of the new Dungeon side?

Better than Heroes 3
40%
The same as Heroes 3
26%
Worse than Heroes 3
34%

Total votes: 35

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 21 May 2006, 00:24

ThunderTitan wrote: Remember Maximus the knight?
Ah yes. The good old H2 heroes. Let's not forget Kastore the Half-squirrel warlock... :D
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 May 2006, 00:53

I loved that guy (Kastore). And Halon the greenskinned whatever he was. And there was an Ogre looking guy... Gimme a sec... Rialdo. And Tyro had some weird teeth for a human. And Flint looks like a Genie, which was neutral in H2. And lets not even mention the weird skin-coloured females.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpage.php?id=6

Image Image Image Image
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 May 2006, 00:55

DuRieL wrote:Besides, I've got nothing against scantily clad dark elven ladies. :yummy:
Actually... this is what makes you love the alignment so much. It's a general trend in most of the B-games nowadays: when you feel you lack in creativity, throw in some half naked chicks, and they'll buy it blindly (remember how Cranky got his job at Nival few months ago ;)).

The game is prostituting itself, and of course it will sell, because prostitutes allways sell, and of course there are people who "love" the new Dungeon, as there are always people who love prostitutes. ;)

However, IMO, a real top game, an A game, has the decency & power of going above that, of selling itself without using cheap methods of attracting buyers, but genuine creativity and originality.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 May 2006, 01:04

Zamolxis wrote: The game is prostituting itself, and of course it will sell, because prostitutes allways sell, and of course there are people who "love" the new Dungeon, as there are always people who love prostitutes. ;)
Mesa luv yu long time.... :devil:

I have nothing against naked ladies in games, but the Dungeon looks cheap and trashy. Not to mention rather retarded. What's up with the weird crotch-protector.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 21 May 2006, 01:13

Yea why bother with it they dont seem to bother protecting anything else.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 May 2006, 01:25

vicheron wrote:Rakshasa is actually from Hindu mythology, they're shapechanging spirits. I don't know if they have a "natural" form but it's probably not a tiger.
If they have a natural form, it's most of the time human. They often have the ability of developing multiple arms or multiple heads or, as said by vicheron, of changing shape. IIRC most often we find them in the shape of a bull, but the shapes they take are endless. However, lion is one of the rarest you mind encounter (I for don't remember now any example - and I studied Indian mythology for years), because the Lion is sacred, being the vehicle of the Goddess Durga (the main Goddess in most Hindu cults). So while the lion is associated with the Goddess, the Good, the Rakshasas (the Evil spirits in Hindu religion - as I forgot to mention above - just like Demons or Devils in Christianism) could rarely take that form.

Moreover, the 4th avatar of Vishnu (main Hindu god) was Narasimha, a human with a head and sometimes also a torso of a lion. Another god who fought the demons/rakshasas - which had different forms, but again, I can't recall any of them having the face of a lion.

"Luckly" the Rakshasa we have in the game has also the lower part of the body lion-like, otherwise, having a representation of Narasimha associated with the name Rakshasa, would be like sb portraiting Moses or Jesus with hornes, goat feet and a scythe - aka a blasphemy - but I guess that's sth they couldn't care less at Ubi, as proven with other scrambled, misused religious symbols in the game. *grin*

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 May 2006, 01:33

Zamolxis wrote: portraiting Moses or Jesus with hornes, goat feet and a scythe
Now that would be something to look at... (why does the Devil have horns and goat feet? The scythe is Death, not the Devil, no matter what H3 says)

Here, this is from where Ubi took the current Rakshasa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakshasa_% ... 26_Dragons

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 May 2006, 01:37

ThunderTitan wrote:What's up with the weird crotch-protector.
He, he. I know sb who got a bit freaked by that, saying it looks like it's actually hiding "something". Can't get any kinckier than that, can it? With pierced nipples, whips, high heels, domina outfits and that "thing", it actually left room for "all" tastes & sick imaginations. Bleah!

Of course they might try to turn it agains those accusing them as that, saying only sick minds see that there, but that's just their umbrella. ;)

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 21 May 2006, 01:40

To the OP:

Being a die hard H3 fan, I have to admit I like the changes. Some people may not like high heels and slightly slutty look to the Maidens/Furies but I do, it was a welcome change for me over the oh so ugly harpies. The things I don't like are minotaurs being level 3 and chained up and the loss of Manticores. But my overall impression is that I'm very satisfied with how dungeon turned out to be.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 May 2006, 01:48

ThunderTitan wrote:
Zamolxis wrote: portraiting Moses or Jesus with hornes, goat feet and a scythe
Now that would be something to look at... (why does the Devil have horns and goat feet? The scythe is Death, not the Devil, no matter what H3 says)

Here, this is from where Ubi took the current Rakshasa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakshasa_% ... 26_Dragons
I used scrambled symbols (from both Death & Devil) just as Ubi does, only to prove my point.

About the Rakshasa taken from D&D, for Ubi that's a minus (o bila neagra ;)). Copying from other games - Warhammer, D&D - is just diminuishing our pride as Heroes fans when confronting the fans of those games, as they'll have all the right to mock us for cheap copying them. I wished Ubi would have not acted like some mythology moron gamers, for whom the mythology was created only like 10 years ago, by games like D&D or WH, but like people who have a wider knowledge of mythologies, and who know mythologies are out there for thousands and thousands of years, and whatever some game had right or wrong 10 years ago, should be of almost no importance in developing another game based on so many mythic creatures. Should they have done that, no D&D or Wh or whatever fan could have mocked me today.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 May 2006, 01:56

I'm pretty sure D&D and WH fans can mock most other game fans.

But at least other games didn't already have perfectly fine other creature, or even the same creatures that could be used.

And remind me to thank you for any nighmares about sexualy ambigous elves i'll have tonight....

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 May 2006, 02:11

ThunderTitan wrote:And remind me to thank you for any nighmares about sexualy ambigous elves i'll have tonight....
:devil:

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 May 2006, 02:15

Infiltrator wrote:To the OP:

Being a die hard H3 fan, I have to admit I like the changes. Some people may not like high heels and slightly slutty look to the Maidens/Furies but I do, it was a welcome change for me over the oh so ugly harpies. The things I don't like are minotaurs being level 3 and chained up and the loss of Manticores. But my overall impression is that I'm very satisfied with how dungeon turned out to be.
Read this. :devil: :devil:

Kaboth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaboth » 21 May 2006, 03:12

I think Blood Maidens/Fury were a good replacement for Harpies though I'm sad to see Troggers and Medusae leave the town. Shadow Maidens and Matriachs are a fairly boring addition to the town though and I felt the could have adequately been Medusae instead.

Hydras seem misplaced also just as they were in HoMMII and HoMMIV.

The town does make a bit more sense logically as an entire culture than its H3 counterpart but I don't really care either way. The town plays great and has interesting creatures; that's what matters most to me.

Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Purple Sky » 21 May 2006, 09:03

Maybe celestialheavens.com can create some kind of a petition against the D&D copying? Perhaps Nival is not a heartless company ruled by demons and will change the designs? Seeing as they are hardcore HoMM players(from their words) it could be possible.

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 21 May 2006, 09:25

Zamolxis wrote:
DuRieL wrote:Besides, I've got nothing against scantily clad dark elven ladies. :yummy:
Actually... this is what makes you love the alignment so much.
So anyone who likes the new dungeon is a horny guy/girl who can't stop staring at the scantily-clad dark elves? ;|

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 May 2006, 10:16

This is how the dark elves should have been like, much more mystic and details around them, not like the simplified versions that is in the game.

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/ga ... tion.shtml

Hmm, It was meant that the dark elves should worship the mother spider (the dark elfs armor), but it turns out that necropolis got that symbol.

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/ga ... tion.shtml

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 21 May 2006, 10:51

Zamolxis wrote: Read this. :devil: :devil:
Hey, I was a Warlock from the moment I started playing heroes! You can't tag me with that :devious:

DuRieL
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby DuRieL » 21 May 2006, 11:38

Continuity wrote:
Zamolxis wrote:
Actually... this is what makes you love the alignment so much.
So anyone who likes the new dungeon is a horny guy/girl who can't stop staring at the scantily-clad dark elves? ;|
No, not at all! There are plenty of other reasons like... well, you know. :devious:

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 21 May 2006, 12:53

They cant have the dark elves worship spiders, that would be yet another rip off of D&D',in the form of Lolth(sp?).

Return to “Heroes V-VI”