How do you like the new Dungeon side compared to Heroes 3?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What do you think of the new Dungeon side?

Better than Heroes 3
40%
The same as Heroes 3
26%
Worse than Heroes 3
34%

Total votes: 35

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

How do you like the new Dungeon side compared to Heroes 3?

Unread postby Dublex » 20 May 2006, 11:36

What does everyone think of the new Dungeon faction compared to Heroes 3?

I'm still unsure on the one hand if I like the shift to a dark elven like faction from a creepy crawly dungeon dwelling faction, although it does solidify them as a side compared to it being a sort of jumbled mass of creatures in 3.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 20 May 2006, 11:39

Yes, Dungeon has become more of a faction and less of a loose collection of creatures. (The Asylum in H4 was literally an asylum in the everyday sense, but I'm not going to remember *that*.)

Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Purple Sky » 20 May 2006, 11:40

Totally better. I dont enjoy playing such monster/barbarian towns like the HoMM 3's Dungeon and that chaos town in HoMM 4. Imo, the creatures should have some sort of a logical connection in the factions.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 11:54

4 bloody pale elves. No thank you.

The heroes are the ones ruling a certain city, not the creatures. Underground monsters enslaved by Overlord/Warlocks made enough sense. Turning the game into Races of M&M isn't something i'd like to see.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 20 May 2006, 12:07

ThunderTitan wrote:4 bloody pale elves. No thank you.
With two of them fighting on very high heels, one even stepping on her semi-transparent dress, still being stronger than my beloved Hydra, which is again locked in the dry Dungeon, when the name "hydra" itself suggests water, so their only real place should be in a Swamp town or, if not, only an Ocean/Sea town could be an alternate home for them.

So no. Deffinetly a "no thank you" from me also.
Last edited by Zamolxis on 21 May 2006, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 20 May 2006, 12:10

ThunderTitan wrote: The heroes are the ones ruling a certain city, not the creatures. Underground monsters enslaved by Overlord/Warlocks made enough sense. Turning the game into Races of M&M isn't something i'd like to see.
Ditto.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 20 May 2006, 12:55

I don't really have anything against this new approach.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 20 May 2006, 13:26

I too am not comfortable with too many high-heels and enslaving story (Minotaurus :cry: ). I like the races idea tough, it makes the factions more tied-together. I just don't like how they do this with the Dungeon. Putting Hydra's into the Dungeon was not their idea though (HII anyone?). But they could have added a damp area or a swamp for them. Overall, the troops play almost the same (as pre-HIV).
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 20 May 2006, 13:31

Warlock town in H2 wasn't a "dry" town, so hydra fit well there.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 20 May 2006, 14:09

It's tought waiting for my own copy so I can actually comment on stuff like this.

In theory, though, my main objection is that the women are way underdressed. However, zooming all the way out during a battle and disabling cinematic camera can obviate that difficulty.

Concept-wise, I don't mind a Dark Elf town. If we get another Elf faction in an expansion, though, I might change my mind.

And strategically, I definitely approve of a low-growth high-power option.

All this may change once I actually play the game (except the first part), so I won't vote yet.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

berntie
Scout
Scout

Unread postby berntie » 20 May 2006, 14:45

Ethric wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote: The heroes are the ones ruling a certain city, not the creatures. Underground monsters enslaved by Overlord/Warlocks made enough sense. Turning the game into Races of M&M isn't something i'd like to see.
Ditto.
Ditto

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 20 May 2006, 14:48

Bandobras Took wrote: Concept-wise, I don't mind a Dark Elf town. If we get another Elf faction in an expansion, though, I might change my mind.
I strongly believe that we've seen all the elves there are in the new HoMM saga. Dwarves and orcs are next so there's no risk of seeing elves there.

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 20 May 2006, 14:51

ThunderTitan wrote:4 bloody pale elves. No thank you.
You're counting Raiders as elves? That's not really fair. It's not like the unit is "just another elf", it's a mounted unit. Do you count the Wolf Raiders in H3 as Goblins? Is a Dragon Golem in H4 just another Dwarf? Pegasus in H3 just more elves?
The heroes are the ones ruling a certain city, not the creatures. Underground monsters enslaved by Overlord/Warlocks made enough sense.
Why does that make sense and Hydras/Minotaurs enslaved by the Dark Elven rulers not make sense? As for "heroes ruling a city, not creatures", what do you think the Dark Elven heroes are? Dwarves? Orcs? No, they're Dark Elves. And they're ruling the city.
Turning the game into Races of M&M isn't something i'd like to see.
What? You mean because there's a couple of creatures that share the same race, heroes are suddenly unimportant? So H1 and H2 should be Races of M&M because all the Knight troops were human? H3, too, with almost all humans in Castle, almost all elementals in Conflux? And of course if Undead is a race, then all games are Races of M&M.

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 20 May 2006, 15:15

I like the idea, nothing says fun like evil elves on a rampage.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 16:17

Continuity wrote: You're counting Raiders as elves? That's not really fair. It's not like the unit is "just another elf", it's a mounted unit. Do you count the Wolf Raiders in H3 as Goblins? Is a Dragon Golem in H4 just another Dwarf? Pegasus in H3 just more elves?
Yes, they were. Rampart had 2 Elf units, the Stronghold 2 Goblin units. Racial unity right there. The Dragon Golem has a huge machine, so I didn't see it as a dwarf.
Two units of the same race were OK, but 4 out of 7? No thank you. And they made a pixie/sprite that looks more like an elf then the former HoMM pixie. There are 7-8 elf units in the game. Like there weren't enough humans in the previous ones already.
Continuity wrote: Why does that make sense and Hydras/Minotaurs enslaved by the Dark Elven rulers not make sense? As for "heroes ruling a city, not creatures", what do you think the Dark Elven heroes are? Dwarves? Orcs? No, they're Dark Elves. And they're ruling the city.
That wasn't my point. My point was that you don't need 3-4 creatures of the same race to make that town be the Race X town. And Hydras are more likely tamed, not enslaved.
Continuity wrote: What? You mean because there's a couple of creatures that share the same race, heroes are suddenly unimportant? So H1 and H2 should be Races of M&M because all the Knight troops were human? H3, too, with almost all humans in Castle, almost all elementals in Conflux? And of course if Undead is a race, then all games are Races of M&M.
1 town out of 4/6/8 had more then half of the creatures of the same race. Now there are 3 of them out of 6. And that's being generous. Elementals and Demons aren't a creature race, they're a creature type, same as the Undead.

Also heroes used to be of different races within the same aligment, now that's gone.

Having a game with all the factions having more than half of the creatures in an aligment be of the same race (not type, as in demon) would be boring. And also not HoMM.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 20 May 2006, 17:14

Same race but different abilities, so boring to look at but as long as they are used different i really dont see the big deal.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 18:01

Corelanis wrote:Same race but different abilities, so boring to look at but as long as they are used different i really dont see the big deal.
Because if we let them well get a game with only humans and elves in it. Oh, wait.... we already have (demons notwhistanding).

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 20 May 2006, 18:59

Yes, because 13 out of 48 is a majority... It's all humans and elves...

At some point you're going to have to consider facts before you make your nine millionth post bashing the game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 19:07

Really. Funny as from where i'm standing the Elves and Humans rule all the factions except Inferno. You also forgot that the Undead are human corpses/spirits.

And 13 out of 48 is a majority if you split them up based on race/type.

Corelanis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Corelanis » 20 May 2006, 19:09

I dont think hes bashing the game.
I think that they are just trying to give a real theme behind the towns monsters cuse after what is a elve/human town with out them in the majority.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”