MM7 new modding

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Re: MM7 new modding

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 27 Dec 2023, 05:58

wow! looks awesome!
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 28 Dec 2023, 09:42

Thanks Maestro, it's a great honor! I will try to make a mod worthy of its predecessors. And for Bowerbank too!
I have some ideas, and I would like to ask people on this. It's about rewriting spells. It is certain that need something to counter OP spells and strengthen very weak ones. I also thought of a few extras to add, some of the strongest spells would involve different conditions. Currently have this in my head:

Raise Dead - Unconscious
Ressurrection - Paralyzed
Enslave, Soul Drinker - Cursed
Palalyze - Asleep
Toxic Cloud - Poison
Pain Reflection - Disease

My goal would be to add some color to the game and make it more interesting/exciting by having the most powerful spells come at a serious cost. But maybe it would be counterproductive and I'd just be screwing the players with it. So, what are your opinions?

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 03 Jan 2024, 02:00

Really nice progress! Congratulations!
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 05 Apr 2024, 03:48

Your work is amazing! I can't wait to try it out. The tunnel, the pyramid and vori in general look so inspiring!

About those spells, I think it could be annoying as a player to have some of those unwanted side effects. Raise dead and resurrection having side effects for the revived character makes sense, though, and seems like a suitable 'punishment' for letting your character die. I think weak and/or unconscious fits a bit better than paralysed.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 06 Apr 2024, 11:49

Thanks very much! I'm making good progress with the improvements, and even though I don't always post, the work is continuously going on.
The "costs and penalties" for spells may be a bit exaggerated, you may be right. And other feedback tends to indicate this, I will think about it carefully, but probably delete most of it.
I'll put up some more pictures of the pyramid while I'm at here, it's the final state. I also played with the lights (and the corpses) a bit.

The final version was way over the size limit of the game (12670/7000 outlines, and that's including the RemoveLimit script of course), but luckily that's not a problem. Once it's split into rooms, it handles this without any problems, I'll have to write a few more events for it, but apart from that now it's a playable dungeon. It will take you about 3-5 hours of pure play time, I mean in real time, of course this will be highly team dependent. I've divided it into 105 separate rooms/corridor sections that can be explored individually, so it's not a '5 minute dungeon' like there are quite a few in MM7-8.

I'm currently rewriting the game mechanics. There'll be a lot of new stuff in it too, here's a preview for example (thanks to Tomsod, I haven't really delved into programming myself at this level, I'm just solving the simpler scripts, mainly following Grayface's documentation):

Prince_of_Thieves
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Prince_of_Thieves » 20 Jul 2024, 15:58

Hi there!
Wanted to ask you, how the project is going? It looked so awesome, and you have done such a big part of the job, it would be very sad if you gave up!
Since I've stepped away from the Thieves Guild affairs, I've mostly been drawing Enroth. My artworks can be found here: https://www.instagram.com/art_out_of_despair/

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 21 Jul 2024, 15:43

Hi!

The project hasn't stopped; in fact, I'm making better progress than I thought. Just lazy about posting updates. :) Thanks for your interest!
Here's what's happened so far:

- New Dungeons: I've completed 6 out of 10 new dungeons (including the two biggest ones). They're fully playable, and I just need to write the quests for them.

- New Quests: so far there are 20 new ones, each with a unique story. I tried to give NPCs proper motivations — why they want the party to go somewhere, why it's beneficial for the npc, why it's worth it for the party etc. Most quests are complex and involve multiple NPCs. I can't give a final number yet, but I think there will be about twice as many quests when I'm done with the mod.

- New Maps: I've completed 1 out of 2 new maps related to Vori. The castle area map is almost finished, and the terrain, models, and concept for the other one are done. Now, I just need to fill it with life, scripts, quests.

- Original Maps: All original exterior locations have been modified to some extent. New objects have appeared in many places (e.g., the Harmondale wall being shot at from the goblin fortress with cannon, which also has a quest). These objects are strategically placed, such as boats to travel between the islands in Tularean and Tatalia. Each new addition either connects to a quest or serves a useful function (e.g., ship/stable schedules, or something particularly useful in Tatalia, but players will discover on their own).

- New Gameplay: a lot in the gameplay is changed, including the physical/dark/light resistance for characters, shield blocks, and skill adjustments. Most of this is done, but there's still a lot of testing needed.

- Other Addons: I've rewritten almost all text files, incorporated stories into the lore, and made various other changes. And started to run out of space; for instance, `npcdata.txt` can't insert new NPCs above the 500th place, and I had to expand `monster.txt` to accommodate more entries. Fortunately, Tomsod helps solve serious issues like these. :)

At a rough estimate, the project is about 70% done. If everything goes well, the mod will be extremely long.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 22 Jul 2024, 08:38

Great to hear from you! Sounds like you're making great progress developing this mod. I can't wait to experience all this when the time is right. The scale of this project is impressive.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 24 Jul 2024, 07:34

Thanks! Yes, now I might be getting to the stage where I'm getting to know every little bug/stupidity of the development. I mean, it takes amazing little details to generate some bug that is very hard to track down, especially when I import models/rooms into the game, and it can take weeks to solve them, and in the end it turns out to be a few clicks.
But now I (maybe) have to mess with less of that, and yeah, that really speeds things up.

Return to “Might and Magic”