Escaton and the destruction of Enroth

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Daerandin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Escaton and the destruction of Enroth

Unread postby Daerandin » 23 Jun 2024, 13:30

Note that what follows is pure speculation based off a few things in the games. There is nothing in the games so verify my speculations.

In the last year I did another full playthrough of all NWC Might and Magic + Heroes, I do that occasionally. This time I kind of got hung up on Escaton's final message. He says "Tell them I have failed." I would assume that the ancients receive this message from the little robot, and I would assume that the ancients still think the Kreegan are a serious threat and want to go through with the destruction of Enroth.

The Sword of Frost was created long ago, I don't remember if it is stated exactly how old it is, but maybe the ancients had a hand in the creation. Then there is the prophecy about Armageddon's Blade and Sword of Frost clashing, I always found that a bit odd, seeing that Armageddon's Blade was create fairly recently in Enroth's timeline. Maybe AB is a type of weapon that the Kreegan leaders have created in the past as part of their conquests. Then, in my opinion, it is not completely out of the question that the Ancients would create a last resort weapon to nullify a Kreegan infested world where AB is present. In other words, the Sword of Frost was made to destroy the world in case of a strong Kreegan infestation where AB is made.

So the thought struck me, what if the Ancients somehow™ manipulated events that lead to the Reckoning, as a backup plan when Escaton failed.

Now this is all obviously speculation, and I can't remember seeing anything in the games that directly support my speculation. Still, I just had the thought and wanted to share. For me, this would at least give some meaning to Enroth's destruction. Nothing in Escaton's message indicated that the Kreegan are not a threat, only that he failed. It would seem logical that they would try to destroy the world in another manner.

Obviously, if there was any merit to my speculations, then I would assume it would have been mentioned in some dev interview at some point.

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Re: Escaton and the destruction of Enroth

Unread postby Tomsod » 24 Jun 2024, 01:13

FWIW, when you just place the Armageddon's Blade on the ground in some H3 map, the pick-up message is:
Deep beneath the earth, you find a vault of the Ancients from before the Silence. Inside, you find a sealed casket, deeply etched with dire warnings. Ignoring them, you break the seal. Inside, you find Armageddon's Blade.
I think even in the campaign the idea was that even though the Blade was newly forged, the schematic for an Armageddon's Blade was very ancient, perhaps Ancient.

Daerandin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Escaton and the destruction of Enroth

Unread postby Daerandin » 25 Jun 2024, 18:36

Yes, I just feel like all these little things add to make sense. Of course, something making sense does not equal to it being true. And I have not seen any proper evidence pointing at this idea. Escaton's message is still the thing that got me thinking about it this way.

Would be interesting to see if there are other interpretations of this, either in support or contrary to this idea.

Return to “Might and Magic”