Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

Unread postby antipaladin » 22 Feb 2024, 20:39

is there a way to add raciel "magics" where they warent in the first place (goblins, dwarven etc)?

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 22 Feb 2024, 22:44

Rodril wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 19:15
Daedros wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 09:19 Is there any way in the current version of the Merge to allow races to learn and GM their associated Racial ability?
Yes, you have to edit "Race Skills.txt" file in the "Data/Tables" folder, use Grayface's TxtEdit. Explanation of the meaning of column values: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... xt#p390428
Yeah, i edited it with Notepad++ last night. Was kind of confusing where each line corresponded to. Looks much more clear in Grayface's TxtEdit.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 23 Feb 2024, 20:25

Daedros wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 22:44 Yeah, i edited it with Notepad++ last night. Was kind of confusing where each line corresponded to. Looks much more clear in Grayface's TxtEdit.
I *think* you can edit it in excel or openoffice calc if you want. Open the program, then drag and drop the txt file into it and choose the "Separated: by Tab" option so it displays nicely (at least that's how it works in openoffice). Then when you're done make sure to save it as a .txt file again.

I haven't made any changes to my tables since I figured this out myself, so maybe something could go wrong when the game tries to load it? Make sure to keep backups.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 27 Feb 2024, 12:29

After created a new game, in member's inventory, empty potion bottles sometimes have "power" attributes.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 04 Mar 2024, 12:24

Hello,
I§ve decided to try the mod (Win 10).
I cannot even run it, because I can't set the compatibility (at least I hope it's the only issue). When in the window where I can set the compatibility, I cannot set it manually - the tick box is greyed out with Win 95 compatibility pre-set. I can only use the Compatibility Troubleshooter, which is about as useful as windshield wipers on a submarine. What is weird, that when I tried it on other files, it works just fine.
Is there any way to change the compatibility setting manually, without that abomination?
Thanks
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Prince_of_Thieves
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Prince_of_Thieves » 04 Mar 2024, 16:19

klaymen wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 12:24 Hello,
I§ve decided to try the mod (Win 10).
I cannot even run it, because I can't set the compatibility (at least I hope it's the only issue). When in the window where I can set the compatibility, I cannot set it manually - the tick box is greyed out with Win 95 compatibility pre-set.
Hello, had the same problem, I clicked "Change settings for all users" at the bottom and managed to change compatibility there.
Since I've stepped away from the Thieves Guild affairs, I've mostly been drawing Enroth. My artworks can be found here: https://www.instagram.com/art_out_of_despair/

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 04 Mar 2024, 21:23

Thanks for the advice, I have managed to change it. I'm getting the same error message as before ("This application cannot be started on your PC" or something like that), so no dice.
-Ahzek Ahriman

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 04 Mar 2024, 22:01

klaymen wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 21:23 Thanks for the advice, I have managed to change it. I'm getting the same error message as before ("This application cannot be started on your PC" or something like that), so no dice.
Does GOG MM8 run fine on your PC? I don't know what causes the error, only way, I can reproduce it, is to try to launch mm8.exe within mod folder, without extracting it into MM8 game folder.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 05 Mar 2024, 05:25

Yes, it runs fine. Actually I've finished my last run about two weeks ago.
-Ahzek Ahriman

Prince_of_Thieves
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Prince_of_Thieves » 05 Mar 2024, 11:11

klaymen wrote: 04 Mar 2024, 21:23 Thanks for the advice, I have managed to change it. I'm getting the same error message as before ("This application cannot be started on your PC" or something like that), so no dice.
Well, the full instruction I got from Rodril is this one:
Rodril wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 20:52 Ensure you have selected Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode in properties of mm8.exe and mm8.setup.exe. Apply latest patch, if necessary. Install Microsoft VCRedist 2015+ x86 (just in case). If error persist, check your game folder for file named "ErrorLog.txt", and send it to me, please.
Maybe it will help.

P.S. Meanwhile I am really enjoying Merged mod on my custom High Difficulty set: bolstering power 130% (hp 1.3, AC 1.4, damage 1.7, hit chance 1.55, speed 1.2) – not sure how one affects the other, are my custom settings additionally multiplied by 130% bolstering power? :|
+ I prohibited myself to drink from fountains out of current location (say, Town Portal dispels fountains effects);
+ Prohibited usage of Mind spells such as Berserk and other control-monster-spells;
+ I am trying not to level up very often, just to check the concept of progressive higher experience-demand on higher levels.
+ I am trying not to use fly + meteor shower tricks with monsters who doesn't have ranged damage (it would be fair to add them such if you are flying upon them! because WTF!)

I play Wizard+Druid, starting in Antagrich, so the promotion doesn't go that easy. Really have to jump from Continent to Continent and struggle with minor quests before I can handle serious monsters.
Catalyst upgrade is amazing!!! it really makes alchemy work!
In Merged the MM8 is so contrasting to other parts, you can see how low money and time did devs have. =( Since I do 3d graphics, I was questioning myself, if it's possible to add our own 3d-animation to some locations where 3DO was too lazy to do that.

Anyway, I am super happy that I can re-experience the game in such a way that I have to think a lot on strategy and there is even a new story-line with inrigue!!!!!!! thank you guys for your work!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Since I've stepped away from the Thieves Guild affairs, I've mostly been drawing Enroth. My artworks can be found here: https://www.instagram.com/art_out_of_despair/

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 05 Mar 2024, 23:15

The latest patch is already installed and the Microsoft VCRedist shows me an error message "Another version of this product is already installled". And the error log file is not there, so nothing seems to work.
-Ahzek Ahriman

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 06 Mar 2024, 01:42

I have played in both base and revamp versions with the last patch and found some issues:

1. The following scripts is no longer valid in the new version:

Code: Select all

evt.Set{"ArmorClassBonus", Value = 40}
This will cause the magic well in the Kriegspire(MM6) and Tatalia(MM7) that increases temporary AC to become ineffective.

2. The actual cost of upgrading skills varies from the prices mentioned in the chat, such as:
To upgrade Regeneration from base to expert at "Tarent Hovel" in the Rusted Desert(MM8), click "Expert Regeneration" show "Become Expert in Regeneration for 500 gold", but in his chat words, show this upgrading need 2000 gold.

There are quite a few inconsistencies like this, but it doesn't affect playing games.

Need your help, thank you.

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 06 Mar 2024, 08:47

toadking wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 01:42 1. The following scripts is no longer valid in the new version:

This will cause the magic well in the Kriegspire(MM6) and Tatalia(MM7) that increases temporary AC to become ineffective.
Script is valid still, problem is Party[x].ArmorClassBonus value is ignored later. Bolster hook at 0x48DB2F overwrites 'add esi, eax' instruction.

Fixed in commit f1d48b2d.

PS. 'xor edx, edx' in asmpatch seems to be copy-paste leftover.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 06 Mar 2024, 10:15

cthscr wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 08:47
toadking wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 01:42 1. The following scripts is no longer valid in the new version:

Script is valid still, problem is Party[x].ArmorClassBonus value is ignored later. Bolster hook at 0x48DB2F overwrites 'add esi, eax' instruction.

Fixed in commit f1d48b2d.

PS. 'xor edx, edx' in asmpatch seems to be copy-paste leftover.
It works,thank you very much.

MilesChen099
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MilesChen099 » 09 Mar 2024, 15:05

cthscr wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 15:20
toadking wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 12:56
cthscr wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 10:42
Yes, several asmpatches in proc 0x4485EC (twice near 0x448A00 for Base Resistance, twice near 0x448A6A for BonusResistance).
ASM scripts are a bit difficult for me. Is it possible for future versions to include this feature,break through the limit of 255?
Commit 82f4685e. In vanilla increasing resistance (for both base and bonus) will reduce it to 255 if it was bigger than 255 initially. I don't think this behavior should be preserved. So, ResistancesEvtBaseMax and ResistancesEvtBonusMax in Data/Tables/ModSettings.txt, default values for Revamp are 32000 now.
Great job!
Can I set the base attributes and the bonus attributes limits as well?

Prince_of_Thieves
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Prince_of_Thieves » 11 Mar 2024, 20:21

Not sure, but might be a bug: I haven't cleaned out vampire vault in Tatalia (I actually escaped in disgrace because I got beaten up there), but still the quest was marked as done when I came to Crag Hack.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 11 Mar 2024, 22:50

I think it would be a pretty big improvement for lategame if blasters were made into just ranged weapons like bows. That would let us use them in conjuction with melee weapons and staffs like Staff of the Elements / Ethric's Staff. And it would look better having them attached to the characters' backs instead of their weird way of holding them lol. Maybe would require a custom sprite for the small ones (have the handle stick out above the shoulder? Wear them on the hip in a holster?)
Prince_of_Thieves wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 20:21 Not sure, but might be a bug: I haven't cleaned out vampire vault in Tatalia (I actually escaped in disgrace because I got beaten up there), but still the quest was marked as done when I came to Crag Hack.
I think that's a vanilla bug (or not fully implemented) that was never fixed.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 12 Mar 2024, 02:46

Macros the Black wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 22:50 I think it would be a pretty big improvement for lategame if blasters were made into just ranged weapons like bows. That would let us use them in conjuction with melee weapons and staffs like Staff of the Elements / Ethric's Staff. And it would look better having them attached to the characters' backs instead of their weird way of holding them lol. Maybe would require a custom sprite for the small ones (have the handle stick out above the shoulder? Wear them on the hip in a holster?)
In my mod, I just placed them upside-down behind the belt. Looks weird if there's no belt, though.

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 12 Mar 2024, 11:12

Macros the Black wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 22:50
Prince_of_Thieves wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 20:21 Not sure, but might be a bug: I haven't cleaned out vampire vault in Tatalia (I actually escaped in disgrace because I got beaten up there), but still the quest was marked as done when I came to Crag Hack.
I think that's a vanilla bug (or not fully implemented) that was never fixed.
It is said in unpatched MM7 Super Vampire never appeared. So questbit was set (by NWC?) unconditionally before leaving map. The same questbit is set properly in MMMerge if Super Vampire was killed, so line 0 of event 501 could/should be removed.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 12 Mar 2024, 15:00

I remembered one bug. Splitter the axe (the one that creates a fireball in your vicinity) bugs the game out for me if I attempt to have a character use it. It just crashes and the console is brought up. I can get the error log if needed

Return to “Might and Magic”