Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rozwaal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

Unread postby Rozwaal » 22 Jan 2024, 15:06

Xfing wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 22:25
Rozwaal wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 14:53 Why do you just want to limit something? What is the point of limiting the player in his worldview and giving clear instructions on what is “good” and what is “bad”? It was only after so long that we came to the idea of complete freedom in class and race, and you want to roll back everything and again reduce everything to a template and post a huge table "LOCKED" on all possible combinations
Having "dragon knights" and the like is still not the standard way to play. It's a possibility for niche players and a quirky experiment at best, and clearly breaks immersion. That's like allowing the player to pick the Barbarian's model in Diablo 2 but have him develop according to the Necromancer's skill tree, for example. Because why limit something, right?
And what’s the problem if I want to do this and I can? This is the beauty of the mod that everyone plays as they please. If you want to play within certain limits and strict rules, then play, who's stopping you? But promoting this nonsense is a bad idea. Let's then introduce strict censorship on the names of the characters, let's limit the player's time of passage, otherwise why the hell his characters live for 200 years, this is implausible and a lot of similar nonsense can be invented so that everyone ends up playing the SAME and in general why play if you can just show the CORRECT passage.
So if you want to play within such a framework, play, but don’t try to impose it on others.

Rozwaal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Rozwaal » 22 Jan 2024, 15:39

Xfing wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 22:25
Rozwaal wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 14:53 Why do you just want to limit something? What is the point of limiting the player in his worldview and giving clear instructions on what is “good” and what is “bad”? It was only after so long that we came to the idea of complete freedom in class and race, and you want to roll back everything and again reduce everything to a template and post a huge table "LOCKED" on all possible combinations
Having "dragon knights" and the like is still not the standard way to play. It's a possibility for niche players and a quirky experiment at best, and clearly breaks immersion. That's like allowing the player to pick the Barbarian's model in Diablo 2 but have him develop according to the Necromancer's skill tree, for example. Because why limit something, right?
And how did you decide to play this mod with only such convictions? He is historically incorrect and generally breaks every possible rule. Go play the original without all the mods, but as the authors intended. Or have you become bored of playing by the rules? I just don’t understand how you can seriously promote such nonsense “let’s return everything to the way it was”, well, go and play the original and don’t interfere with mods

Kinox
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Kinox » 22 Jan 2024, 19:02

candida wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 20:25 Hi there (after a long hiatus),

Just started testing the last update, one small question:

Is it possible to go to Emerald Island back after completing the contest by ship?

Just not to be mistaken, especially if you don't start in Antagarich, but in other continents?
Hi, I believe MMMerge don't have this particular feature. What we can do is: as we get the contest message in Erathia, we can travel to Emerald Island (from Erathia's docks) as much as we like, provide the Contest Quest is not achieved --Note: but to see this happening, we must be able to leave Emerald Island without achieving that Main Quest, meaning we need another Travel alternative (Town Portal, Lloyd's Beacon,...), since the boat in Emerald Island is locked. Then, of course, the strategy would be to set a Beacon on Emerald Island eventually, and the finish its Main Quest... I think it's the only way; although that could be delaying the Main Quest in Antagarich forever.

However, I know that another Mod, MMMerge Redone!, has got this feature and that seems pretty cool. There exist also many other MM7 Altar-Obelisk type Warpers around the world (I believe only in Antagarich), usually requiring some quest or key to enable them.

Ultimately I think it wouldn't be a bad idea, if the original MMMerge got some solutions like these; especially regarding travel to Emerald Island --because it is rendered inaccessible by normal means of Travel. But this shall be a discussion between the Mods' authors if ever interesting. I'm just making an interchangeable, retroactive feature suggestion. As Mods often get exchanged cool features here and then, according to the author's choices.

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 23 Jan 2024, 01:07

Rozwaal wrote:Why do you just want to limit something? What is the point of limiting the player in his worldview and giving clear instructions on what is “good” and what is “bad”? It was only after so long that we came to the idea of complete freedom in class and race, and you want to roll back everything and again reduce everything to a template and post a huge table "LOCKED" on all possible combinations
To be fair the race/class unlocker is an optional component for this very reason. Not everybody thinks its a good idea (I like the concept but there's no sane way to balance it and there's weird anti-features baked into it, such as Minotaur Liches losing maximum skill ranks).

I don't see an issue as long as artifact restrictions are an optional component. Using the MM7 restrictions as a baseline is a good starting point.

Maslyonok
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Maslyonok » 23 Jan 2024, 06:37

raekuul wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 01:07
Rozwaal wrote:Why do you just want to limit something? What is the point of limiting the player in his worldview and giving clear instructions on what is “good” and what is “bad”? It was only after so long that we came to the idea of complete freedom in class and race, and you want to roll back everything and again reduce everything to a template and post a huge table "LOCKED" on all possible combinations
To be fair the race/class unlocker is an optional component for this very reason. Not everybody thinks its a good idea (I like the concept but there's no sane way to balance it and there's weird anti-features baked into it, such as Minotaur Liches losing maximum skill ranks).

I don't see an issue as long as artifact restrictions are an optional component. Using the MM7 restrictions as a baseline is a good starting point.
Actually, I like this feature not because for the possibility to use dragon-knights, minotaur liches etc, but beacause you can use any model for any class in general. For example, in my last playthrough I played with 3 monks in team and I used character models not only from MM7 where monk class was originally, I used models from MM6 and MM8. Without this feature, I couldn't do that in normal means. :)

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Jan 2024, 08:18

Rozwaal wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 15:06 And what’s the problem if I want to do this and I can? This is the beauty of the mod that everyone plays as they please. If you want to play within certain limits and strict rules, then play, who's stopping you? But promoting this nonsense is a bad idea. Let's then introduce strict censorship on the names of the characters, let's limit the player's time of passage, otherwise why the hell his characters live for 200 years, this is implausible and a lot of similar nonsense can be invented so that everyone ends up playing the SAME and in general why play if you can just show the CORRECT passage.
So if you want to play within such a framework, play, but don’t try to impose it on others.
You're being waaay too autistic about this. In fact, you sound exactly like Templayer did. Which would make sense, since the unlocker was his pet project. I honestly have no idea what purpose all those exaggerations you're making serve, given that nothing in the game has changed so far, nor do I even have the power to make it happen since I'm not the author of the mod. If you're angry at me for making a non-binding proposal, which I mentioned 3 times is up to Rodril's discretion to include and modify as he sees fit, you should be twice as angry at NWC for making skill levels limited by class starting with MM7. I mean, what was the problem with full liberty that mm6 had, right? Come on, grow up.

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 23 Jan 2024, 15:53

Currently playing races unlocked with melee party of 3 human monks, 1 minotaur druid, 1 troll cleric. These monks can GM armsmaster, on top of GM unarmed and staff, which pumps a lot of dmg. My minotaur druid also can GM armsmaster, so no pushover either. Would have used minotaur cleric too, for more armsmaster, but wanted the ability to maximize light magic, so Taledon's Helm on minotaur is not an option. Goal is reaching 400+ dmg :D

This is what races unlocked is for. For funky gameplays.

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 23 Jan 2024, 19:51

The only good reason for restricting stuff is balanced gameplay, which is important even in single-player games because gradual progression keeps the player engaged and makes the effort rewarding. But Merge is already notorious for its lack of balance, so you may as well own it! Trying to limit specific things is a band-aid on a sinking boat at this point, so something like WoG with its hundreds of optional features that broke the game and each other in multiple ways, but were still fun, is a better role model.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Jan 2024, 22:06

qtish wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 15:53 Currently playing races unlocked with melee party of 3 human monks, 1 minotaur druid, 1 troll cleric. These monks can GM armsmaster, on top of GM unarmed and staff, which pumps a lot of dmg. My minotaur druid also can GM armsmaster, so no pushover either. Would have used minotaur cleric too, for more armsmaster, but wanted the ability to maximize light magic, so Taledon's Helm on minotaur is not an option. Goal is reaching 400+ dmg :D

These combinations are already opened in the regular Merge, as are all the more "realistic" ones. If you can recruit a peasant of any race, you can make them into any class - except vampires who are still restricted to being their race/class (I think), and of course no Minotaurs becoming the "Troll" class and so on. And that's fine - doesn't break suspension of disbelief etc. I myself have been running a full Mino party now for example. Mino sorcerers have had a precedent with Dungeon heroes from h3 for example, so there's no problem with that at all. The Unlocker goes beyond that and lets you do really quirky stuff and combinations that couldn't be found naturally.

Arch-vile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arch-vile » 24 Jan 2024, 15:48

Xfing wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 08:18
Rozwaal wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 15:06
"you sound exactly like Templayer did"
Déjà vu ? :D

Please fix the game first (especially all the logs "Miscellaneous", "Seer", "Auto Notes" and Awards) and then do crazy things like a dragon-knight.

qtish
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby qtish » 24 Jan 2024, 21:15

Xfing wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 22:06
qtish wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 15:53 Currently playing races unlocked with melee party of 3 human monks, 1 minotaur druid, 1 troll cleric. These monks can GM armsmaster, on top of GM unarmed and staff, which pumps a lot of dmg. My minotaur druid also can GM armsmaster, so no pushover either. Would have used minotaur cleric too, for more armsmaster, but wanted the ability to maximize light magic, so Taledon's Helm on minotaur is not an option. Goal is reaching 400+ dmg :D

These combinations are already opened in the regular Merge, as are all the more "realistic" ones.
So you saying monks can GM armsmaster, if human/goblin/mino?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 25 Jan 2024, 01:53

qtish wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 21:15 So you saying monks can GM armsmaster, if human/goblin/mino?
I don't think any race gets + to armsmaster in the verison I have currently (which was freshly downloaded from Rodril), but if they did then sure, you could make monks with GM, that's how it works :D

I think currently Humans only get + to learning, Goblins to disarm and Minos to bodybuilding and plate. I also added perception for minos and dragons in the latest revision I put up, because I thought that made sense, but that's not official. Anyhow, I think minos are OK having some more bonuses since they don't get boots or headwear.

keneki123
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby keneki123 » 31 Jan 2024, 11:01

How to translation my language?
Can support me?

Bonaccorso
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bonaccorso » 31 Jan 2024, 18:50

Hello, I'm not sure if it's a problem, I'm new to this mod - in the center of the screen there's a cursor https://ibb.co/6WqTbqQ
Is it possible to make it invisible? I didn't find any relevant options in mm8.ini, or in game options.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 01 Feb 2024, 00:25

Excuse me, the magic resistance in the game can only reach 255. Is there a way to break through the limit of 255?
eg,repeatedly executing the following command to increase water resistance for a team member, the command will no longer work when water resistance reaches 255:

Code: Select all

evt.Add("WaterResistance", 100)

Arch-vile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arch-vile » 01 Feb 2024, 06:44

keneki123 wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 11:01 How to translation my language?
Can support me?
Supported for merge languages are German, Polish, Russian, French, Czech and Spanish.

I don't know what you need? :)

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 01 Feb 2024, 14:08

Xfing wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 22:25 That's like allowing the player to pick the Barbarian's model in Diablo 2 but have him develop according to the Necromancer's skill tree, for example. Because why limit something, right?
Bad example because Path of Exile allows you to do exactly that and is very successful for it, having a Marauder able to pick up a wand because that's what the randomness of the loot dropped and since you're stranded you gotta make do with what you get, makes it for a huge immersion-building gameplay, rather than immersion-breaking like you state.

Terelyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Terelyn » 03 Feb 2024, 23:02

The game crashes if you attempt to enter the Blades' End in New Sorpigal before purchasing membership. I'm using the lastest version of the Merge with Revamp.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 04 Feb 2024, 12:51

joanthedark wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 14:08 Bad example because Path of Exile allows you to do exactly that and is very successful for it, having a Marauder able to pick up a wand because that's what the randomness of the loot dropped and since you're stranded you gotta make do with what you get, makes it for a huge immersion-building gameplay, rather than immersion-breaking like you state.
PoE is known for its gimmick of having a shared passive tree between all the classes. Still, it later added ascendancies which have drastically narrowed the number of viable paths for each class archetype. What you'd need in MM6-8 is just a class that can learn any skill to any mastery, only then would you have full liberty

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 04 Feb 2024, 14:52

That's actually fairly trivial to do, just set a class's mastery limits to 4(G) across the board.

Just don't be surprised when you're bored with the idea after two or three runs. It works in MM6 because MM6 didn't lock anything behind masteries to begin with (even the Baa Temple's Perception requirement - you just need to have a high enough perception score that just happens to be what you'd have with Expert 4)

Return to “Might and Magic”