Heroes 6 via Ubisoft Connect launcher no longer working on Windows 7

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Heroes 6 via Ubisoft Connect launcher no longer working on Windows 7

Unread postby Blake » 30 Dec 2023, 11:51

Just in case there's any other crazy old Windows 7 users like me here (yeah yeah I know, I'll update eventually lol) I thought I'd post about this issue and the fix I found.

Ironically while trying to test a possible fix for the darkness issue in the expansion & DLC content (which worked WOOHOO!) I encountered a whole new issue where I couldn't even launch Heroes 6 anymore due to the Ubisoft Connect launcher auto updating to a newer version that no longer supports Windows 7 resulting in you getting this message:

"ubisoft connect / uplay / upc.exe: entry point DiscardVirtualMemory not found in DLL KERNEL32.dll"

A google search showed most people saying "oh there's no way around that other than updating to Windows 10" but sure enough a few clever people did find a way around it that basically involves rolling back your Ubisoft Connect launcher to the last version that still worked on Win 7 and then changing a simple version.txt file to the latest version number to trick the launcher into thinking you have the latest so it stops auto updating and Heroes 6 starts up!

Here's the instructions...
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/c ... &context=3

Note: I've modified his quote below to fixed some typos, use the true last version number before the change and added a download link for it.
Yes it works on Windows 7 64 bit user. I also found out that it worked, as suggested above, using the following sequence:
1. Run the game that runs Ubisoft Connect's uplay.exe.
2. It will update itself, restart it, error message, crash..
3. Go to the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game launcher.
4. Delete the folder and restore it from a backup containing a version 10857 or earlier (Or download a fresh 10857 from here & install).
5. Edit version.txt (it contains just a line with "10857" in it) as 10872 (or latest version number now).
6. Now you can restart the game or Ubisoft connect: it will believe it is still v10872 or latest version and will no longer try to update, and the version 10857 or earlier will work fine.
7. Next time Ubisoft Connect updates (usually ever 1-2 months), it will fail again. So you will have to repeat the above and use whatever the latest version number is instead.
Last edited by Blake on 01 Jan 2024, 05:33, edited 8 times in total.
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Heroes 6 via Ubisoft Connect launcher no longer working on Windows 7

Unread postby Pol » 30 Dec 2023, 13:30

Does it work when you change your version to something supper high? Like 99999 - as for sure Ubi never release this one. :D

Great find Blake! ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Blake
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Heroes 6 via Ubisoft Connect launcher no longer working on Windows 7

Unread postby Blake » 22 Jan 2024, 08:04

haha good idea, just tried but it didn't work sadly..
Blake's Sanctum - Heroes of Might & Magic: fan page containing pictures, vids, info, similar games & fan projects!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”