RPG Signup

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 16 Sep 2006, 03:00

I breezed through NWN without a healer thanks to Potions of Heal :) Will we not have those?

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 16 Sep 2006, 03:10

Neverwinter Nights was designed for one person and a hired npc to complete, so they had to throw in quite a few healing potions. I imagine this rpg will be more like Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate. There will probably be healing potions, but we either won't have enough money to buy them in large quantities or they will be rare. Without access, we'll need a druid, cleric, or paladin to help out with the healing. Plus it's always a good idea to have a cleric in the party. Never know when you'll need to be restored, resurrected, or some undead turned.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 16 Sep 2006, 04:07

Yes, while this will be more about the story then combat, a good healer can make or break a party sometimes. I have known a few parties that were ok without them, but always a good thing to have arround. And Omega you don't have to switch if you don't want. Like I said, npc's will be arround if nobody wants to be the healer. As for potion. Magic in my game is rare and usually very valuable, even something such as a healing potion. The only 'common' magical items you might find are scrolls (though usually guarded by the person who made said item). Don't expect to find a magical item quick, and if you get one it is a very valuable item. The focus on here is the story, and your characters actions in it, not hordes of treasure. Again not that there won't be treasure.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 16 Sep 2006, 04:11

I'll be good as a healer. I wasn't really too satisfied with the paladin build.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 16 Sep 2006, 06:34

What about resting and replenishing spells? In NWN I could just rest when I wanted; how about here?

And I'd greatly apreciate it if you could give all starting mages something similar to the Rod of Frost for NWN (which granted infinite charges of Ray of Frost). If not, we'll really drag the party down be requiring rests every few posts.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 16 Sep 2006, 06:43

Well, I am not going to do the 'resting' thing unless there is something up. Each day they well be 'assumed' to have rested/memorized/ect for there spells. Just like natural functions have no place in the game, I feel requiring people to say "I rest to memorize these spells" is ludicris. If you want to change spells or add to them (due to levels) is about the only time you will need to say anything. As I said before, magic items are rare and valuable, I won't be just 'giving' any magic out. You use up your spells, looks like it's dagger time for joo...or quarterstaff. On the bright side, there is things that allow mages to fight a little better and be more protected (when found). I believe there are feats and such also that get them a little more oomph. Mages are meant to be a little weaker at the start then most classes, because they become really really powerful endgame.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Sep 2006, 06:44

There are some very interesting house rules around this.Draining is one of those,but its more usefull for a sorceror/warlock.For mages and priests,removing memorization but instead making a cooldown is a nice thing.For example:A mage memorizes magic missle.He is able to cats one magic missle(more,if he memorized more)every 25/(level/2) hours.Same could be applied for priests.They need to pray to their diety only if they want to change the spells they want to use.This cooldown is affected by sleep however.Lack of sleep increases the cooldown,and sleeping decreases it(1 hour of sleep equals 2 hours of wake cooldown).Higher level spells have higher cooldown.
Mytical wrote:You use up your spells, looks like it's dagger time for joo...or quarterstaff
Like any true elf,I long for a bow :D Besides,high int is a very nice thing for mages because it allows them to learn non magical skills quite fast.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 16 Sep 2006, 07:08

Well you are in luck, mages can learn to use a bow. Just please don't try to cast while using it...could get awful messy. Most get penalties with the bow, but there are some who don't. The high int of a mage usually does mean many skills, ect and usually obscure things as well. I believe there is something called arcane lore. It can tell you little things about a whole lot of different subjects. Some can even specialize, like elven arcane lore, or dwarven arcane lore, or lost arcane lore (though this takes double the points).

Now, name of the actual rpg thread. I have a couple of possibilities and want you oppinons. Starting tommorrow I will be puting some background information up of my word. This won't activate the game yet, that will be monday. Just general background, and how things came to be as they are when you all start your adventure. The titles I have came up with are...

Twilight of Peace: A time of war.

Dawn Dancer

Tales of Mischief and Mayhem

last but not least...Verun's Tales (Verun is the name of the world).

Well, that is all for now, also tommorrow I will put people of note here (decided to do it).

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 16 Sep 2006, 07:31

Mytical wrote:Gnome Illusionist, Human Monk, High Elf Monk, Something rogue (don't have a clue what a Tiefmar is hehe), Human Fighter....and stefan still undecided (MIA)
and my gray elf chaos cleric? nay, he isnt important enough to be mentioned. help! help! i am being repressed!

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 16 Sep 2006, 07:34

Sorry my bad :) hehe like I said a little hard to keep up right now, working on the actual campain as well. Didn't mean to look over anybody at the time. :) Still that is 2 clerics which will be more then enough healing for all the needs :). Keep in mind that priests of chaos has the drawback of never knowing what effect his prayers might have hehe (but they like it that way!!!).

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 16 Sep 2006, 15:48

Thought I'd mention the change in my character's name. The first name didn't sound right to me, so I changed it to:

Zarvyx

Dhoshlin is left as is, though.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 16 Sep 2006, 20:09

People of Note : The following individuals are the most famous of the land. Some a lot is known, some very little. Some are more notorious then famous as well. Most don't have a trustworthy description (such as Malfallus which is supposed to be 9' tall and shoulders just as wide), so chances of recognizing them when meeting them are iffy at best.

Malfallus Kreights - Paladin - King of Sparrowflight and maybe the most famous king of all time. A few of the reasons he is so famous is...he has been known to do things a lot different then most paladins. It is suspected he is actually a Fighter that has a magical device that gives him abilities similar to a paladin. Rumored to have single handedly defeated a red dragon, a beholder, and a avatar of a god at one time...but you know how rumors are.

Merlin Kreights - Fighter (mage??) - A 6'6" dwarf who supposedly uses magic better then some mages, all while weilding a battleaxe in combat. What is a little odd is, to everybody's knowledge he is a full dwarf yet is Malfallus's 'baby' brother.

Devoc Highhand - Lich??- Not much is known except he also rules a kingdom that is near Sparrowflight, and has managed to cause Sparrowflight no end of trouble. Has 'died' at least a dozen times, yet seems to come back no matter what is done to his body.

The highlord - nobody remembers his name anymore, but he rules all the land and has for countless years. He started the 'Tournament' after many years of peace to allieviate the boredom. The only people who get to meet him are winners of the Tournament.

Garvac - Orc - He is the chief of a clan of orcs that call themselves the Order of the Velvet Rose. They are ...unusual orcs. Healers and wonderers they have been known to shelter people in need. Unusually strong, but very gentle, they supposedly have never been defeated in battle. In fact, nobody remembers when one of the Roses last died.

Velvet - Last name has been lost in time, but she actually is one person who's description seems to be accurate. Her height changes in the telling but her white hair and lavender eyes never do. Everybody knows she is no elf, but she walks with the grace of one. Her pale skin is so white she often gets called "Snow" and accepts the nickname. Always traves with the Order of the Velvet Rose who treat her like a godess. For all people knows, she may very well be. Rumor has it, she is the one who taught the Order how to fight.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Sep 2006, 21:13

Mytical wrote: but you know how rumors are.
Usually true? :|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Sep 2006, 21:36

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Mytical wrote: but you know how rumors are.
Usually true? :|
But not about the ppl you hear about.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Sep 2006, 21:54

ThunderTitan wrote: But not about the ppl you hear about.
If GM mentions it,it is very relevant.Whenever the GM tells you some detail,it is very relevant,and every rumor is true.I mean,imagine how annoying it would be if the GM gave you loads of details and you had to figure out which are relevant,and which rumors are true?Oh....Wait a minute....So thats why people hate me leading :devious:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Sep 2006, 22:26

I know...
Nostradamus Rule
All legends are 100% accurate. All rumors are entirely factual. All prophecies will come true, and not just someday but almost immediately.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 17 Sep 2006, 08:24

Human Monk, High Elf Monk, Something rogue (don't have a clue what a Tiefmar is hehe), Human Fighter, Grey Elf Chaos Priest, not sure about stefan anymore and the Gnome Illusionist has been removed by request, and of course, Huma Cleric no specialization. A human Sorcerer. Last but not least Elven Necro :). Monday will start the actual game, but there is some preliminary info in the thread started. Since nobody made any suggestions, went with the first name I suggested (with exception to DL who suggested the same). Anyhow, Monday (sometime) I will post the start of the actual story (not just background info). Please make sure to visit there afterwards to get the ball rolling. Remember if you are unable to post a reply to my 'prompts' it's all good, but the next part of the game will continue in due time. You have free reign to do anything you wish in the game, world, just be prepaired for the consequences of your action. Not everything is as it seems, your wits are your greatest weapon, and that farmer in the hayfield might just be a retired Military person so careful stealing those apples. Stefan is away for the weekend as normal so probably wont know what he is going to use till he makes his way back (keep forgetting, people actually dont have to stare at a keyboard 10-12 hrs a day while working and thus don't get stir crazy like me).
Last edited by Mytical on 17 Sep 2006, 09:41, edited 2 times in total.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 17 Sep 2006, 08:52

You're missing me...

Just a reminder.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 17 Sep 2006, 09:08

Doh, got confused and thought you were the human fighter, that was somebody else, my bad, fixed :).

Places of Note : Sparrowflight - Kingdom that seems to...move. At least a hundred different people will tell you it is a hundered different places...and most of there companions will agree 100%. The only thing positive about Sparrowflight, it seems to show up when least expected, and in the most unlikely places. Yet, a few swear you can't find it at all unless it wants you to, even if it is right under your nose. Castle is claimed to be 'alive' by those who have been guests there.

The Arena - Dunbar Arena, home of the Tournament. Most famous landmark in the lands. People gather from all over the known world (including Sparrowflight) during the Tournament. No violence not sanctioned by the Tournament is tolerated, even against the so called 'dark races' who do come to the Tournament.

Undercity - Drow area. Only the brave or stupid (or both) venture here if not Drow. Rumored to be the home of powerful (stolen) artifacts, wealth beyond all dreams, and the deadly spider queen Lloth it is both beautiful and haunting to look apon.

Forest of Kalterath - Rumors has it this vast jungle has no end, which is not totally true. It may stretch for thousands and thousands and thousands of miles in each direction, but there is an end...eventually. Populated and protected (in some spots) by woodelves. You may not see them, but they WILL see you.

The Scar - rumored to have been caused by the largest of the floating castles when OA stripped away magic. The city itself seems to be missing however, and all that remains is a rather large hole...that seems almost bottomless.

Scarsdeep - a town on the edge of the scar that serves the 'tourist' that come to see the scar all the time. A thriving city it is 2nd only to Dunbar in popularity and even stricter with patrolling and punishing those who break the law. Some say way too strict..

The floating 'Cone-Pyramid' - Part cone, part pyramid it has flat sides, six of them, that go up to a point. All anybody knows is it is on the opposite side of the world from Dunbar. And that it floats in the sky along with several rocks. Not much more is known about this mysterious object (including it's proper name).

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Sep 2006, 22:47

Like that world, it is crazy and witty enough. Everything went to move and all may happen. Never, unexpected, now. From where are you getting the names?

For example for me sounds better Dumbar Arene or Dumbar Dôme over Dunbar. Just curious...? ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Campfire”