Expansion HOMM 5

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Sep 2006, 01:09

Sorry,wrong link.That one is about info on the game.But if you understand russian,youl find the link to the galery there :devious: If not,go here

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Sep 2006, 01:13

cool, cheers again

the dragon is .... um .... interesting
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 01 Sep 2006, 01:49

yes, you probably mean the orange flaming one, right? thats the magma, unupgraded dragon. it is very, um, like you said- interesting. the good one (imo) is the upgraded (lava one). unupgraded need some work.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Sep 2006, 02:03

I'm holding off on either praise or complaint til more info is available, or even til it's released .... got stung last time round

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Sep 2006, 02:08

stefan.urlus wrote:I'm holding off on either praise or complaint til more info is available, or even til it's released .... got stung last time round
Bah,you can never go wrong with complaining :devil:

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Sep 2006, 02:12

even though you are joking (a little anyway) i prefer to praise if it is worth praise, and provide constructive criticism if it's not, then if nothing changes it tends to get to complaints

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 01 Sep 2006, 03:34

which is why you can never have anything in common with DL or TT.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Sep 2006, 04:26

well, they're not all bad, but i'm glad im not like those two clowns!! :D

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 01 Sep 2006, 04:46

Since the topic here is expansion (or at least I believe it is, seems to have gotten way off base), I had another of my zany ideas. A merchant town. Posting it on my thread, but have a question about what 1 ultimate thing you would have in an expansion if you could. The challenge is keeping it to ONLY one thing :devil: :tonguehands:
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Sep 2006, 04:49

Really,whats the ultimate for dwarves?Super runes?Runes costing almost nothing?Having enormous power?

As for a merchant town,ultimate can be excelent marketplace prices.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Sep 2006, 05:13

perfect AI??

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 01 Sep 2006, 07:21

Good guess there, DL. :)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Sep 2006, 08:01

Tysar wrote:Academy is not only arab in theme, it has hints of Indian mythology and via the Titans, greek...
Academy is a mish-mash of creatures from different parts of the world:
Gremlins comes from stories in the RAF during WW2 to explain accidents during flights(!)
Gargoyles are frankish, from 7th century
Golems are jewish
Mages are from all over the world, even though the word has roots in old persian
Djinn are arabic
Rakshasa is from India
Titans are greek.

You were saying something about not mixing mythologies?
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

sylvanllewelyn
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby sylvanllewelyn » 01 Sep 2006, 08:02

If you've noticed, for different creatures, there are commoners and then there are heroes, but even the "heroic" ones are limited by their nature. For example, imps and pit-lords can become commanders, the demon-soverign is a devil, and Biara's accomplishments are somewhere in the middle (she's rather kick-ass, IMO). Humans can either be peasents, cavaliers or wizards. Why do I mention all this? Because I think it is perfectly viable that there are many races and abilities of the dwarves, all the way from workers to "titans" or large giants. One does not even need to explain it so liberally (relative to traditional mythology) to explain away such an ill-defined race. Besides, towns are supposed to have allies anyway, so I see no problems with efreets and titans in dwarven towns anyway. After all, it IS stereotypical that they are both magical and tough, unlike other practioners or arcane arts.

As to the age-old argument of elves... here's what I think of Tolkien elves and Ashan elves: although elves are of similar strength but greater wisdom and toughness to humans (well reflected in Ashan), even among the elves, there are the moriquendi and the calaquendi. Only in Ashan, the elves that "saw the darkness" are much greater. Just like in Tolkien, where third-age grey elves use bows, the elves of the first age use cavalry, swords and magic (possibly because of the Euro-centric cultural tradition of regarding non-melee soldiers as less brave).

What I think we need an H5 expansion forum, not a 30-page thread.
Also, I don't like my title to start with "galatic", just because I posted a certain number of times.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 01 Sep 2006, 08:10

Also, I don't like my title to start with "galatic", just because I posted a certain number of times.
that's ok, it's gone now .... besides it's part of the fun of the forum

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 01 Sep 2006, 10:57

DaemianLucifer wrote:
No,efreet is actually a type of genie.See here:
ypes of jinn include the ghul (night shade, which can change shape), the sila (which cannot change shape) and the ifrit (pronounced IF-FREET).
Also:
The Arabs believed that the jinn were spirits of fire, although sometimes they associated them with succubi, demons in the forms of beautiful women.
So,genies are not water creatures.Its later (probably D&D again) that they became water spirits.

EDIT:
In the Dungeons & Dragons series of roleplaying games, genies are powerful elemental spirits from the Inner Planes, each of the four classical elements having its own subspecies of genie: djinn for air, dao for earth, efreeti for fire, marid for water, and a fifth type known as the jann, who draw their existence from all four elements.
Even D&D doesnt tie them with water,but with air.
Things that I learnt collecting the INFO for bestiaries:
An people has more then 3 definitions of a creature in half of century. Now, count how much time has gone since the creature was first time announced. Even if you take out half of definitions that are forgoten, there are still a whole lot of theme.

BTW, where did I say that genie is s spirit of water?? I told that he is the spirit of air tough Alah (in muslim religion) created theme from ashes if I remember right.

But the info about elemental genies was NOT found in D&D!
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Sep 2006, 12:07

Gaidal Cain wrote: Academy is a mish-mash of creatures from different parts of the world:
Gremlins comes from stories in the RAF during WW2 to explain accidents during flights(!)
Gargoyles are frankish, from 7th century
Golems are jewish
Mages are from all over the world, even though the word has roots in old persian
Djinn are arabic
Rakshasa is from India
Titans are greek.

You were saying something about not mixing mythologies?
But they are all unified under the arab/indian theme.Just look at their clothing and weapons.Those golems sure look indian to me.
Sauron wrote: BTW, where did I say that genie is s spirit of water?? I told that he is the spirit of air tough Alah (in muslim religion) created theme from ashes if I remember right.
What can I say,I was on a post rush then :devil: But they werent spirits of air in the begining either.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 01 Sep 2006, 12:48

A nice pic from the Nival website :

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 01 Sep 2006, 13:35

Tysar wrote:
soupnazii wrote:(btw, some of those dwarves are pretty big huh?)
Actually I think the biggest one with the cool hammer is a fire giant or something, it would make sense as the whole town has a strong norse mythology theme. And, of course, he's way too big to be a dwarf (I think they should have made all the dwarves approximately the same height anyway, with the berserker being already way too tall). As a side note, imo he looks nicer than the actual model as well...
If they go with a norse-theme, then a better "dragon" for the level 7 would be a Nidhogg (I hope I spelled that correctly).

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 01 Sep 2006, 13:50

for a secong i thought you wrote Nintendog....

Return to “Heroes V-VI”