New Column: Might and Milla

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Battlefield shock

Unread postby gravyluvr » 26 Jul 2006, 15:22

Nothing in the HOMM series was as drastic as going from the HOMM to the HOMM2 battlefield. I remember in Heroes of Might and Magic being able to use by Gargoyle stack on the first move to jump right infront of my Centaur stack! The Centaurs lost most their value from HOMM1 to HOMM2. Personally, I always liked the HOMM4 Battlefield.

Back on Topic - I think Heroes of Might and Magic lends itself to all genders and ages quite well. The combination of turn-based, fantasy, and the game's ties to story lines of heroic proportions make it cast a wide net. In general, I would guestimate that we have about an 8-to-1 ratio of guys to girls, which probably is in line with the game's audience.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Jul 2006, 18:23

The lack of a good grid was the main problem the H4 BF had. The second one was the inability to tell a creatures LoS cover area. So much wasted potential... :(
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

vaudy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vaudy » 29 Jul 2006, 04:41

It's sad to see now how some of the girls who entered the forum after reading the article hasn't returned. Perhaps they only visit once in a while but it's still a shame. They need more luring I guess ;|
Now I feel guilty. I was a fairly active forum member a couple of years ago, but now I just pop in for a visit now and then. School got a little hectic. I have no excuses for summer...

Anyway, I think I see more girls gaming, or at least talking about it, than I did when I was younger (just turned 30). I started with Intellivision and Atari way back when, and I've always played video or computer games off and on, though HoMM is the only series I've really become addicted to. My mother is equally addicted. I frequently tell people that the only time my mom didn't allow me to play video games as a kid was when she wanted to play :D . This was a nice article; it's good to see our perspective highlighted once in a while.

@Ozzlander: I actually do knit and play games at the same time. H4 ran very sluggishly on my old computer, and opponent turns took forever, so I got into the habit of knitting between turns. My mom laughs at me for it.
Now you see me, now you don't

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 29 Jul 2006, 11:57

Now there's a rare sighting, quick get the net. Hiya Vaudy :wave:
vaudy wrote: Now I feel guilty. I was a fairly active forum member a couple of years ago, but now I just pop in for a visit now and then. School got a little hectic. I have no excuses for summer...
You don't like us any more :(

No that can't be it, that's just not possible ;) Come by more often, we got plenty of lame stuff going on in the campfire if you're tired of the gamerants :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 29 Jul 2006, 12:02

Ethric wrote:if you're tired of the gamerants :D
For a moment, I thought you wrote "tired of the garments". ;)

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 29 Jul 2006, 14:33

Hi Vaudy :wave:
As Ethric said, stop by more often, there's a lot of fun going on around here + you'd get a lot of attention since...yeah...well..you know :devious:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 29 Jul 2006, 15:21

Angelspit wrote:
Ethric wrote:if you're tired of the gamerants :D
For a moment, I thought you wrote "tired of the garments". ;)
Weirdest thing is at first when I saw the quote I also thought it said garments, in what you quoted from my own post :|

Methinks the maleness steers our perception sometimes :D
- Duke

vaudy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vaudy » 29 Jul 2006, 16:27

Generally, I'm quite fond of garments, unless I'm with--never mind. You didn't see that. :devious:

I haven't read any of the gamerants, because I can't play H5 yet, and I don't want to torment myself. I should stay and play for a while; I have a month before starting grad school.
there's a lot of fun going on around here + you'd get a lot of attention since...yeah...well..you know
Especially if we get tired of the garments! :devil:

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 29 Jul 2006, 17:00

I always get tired of garments :devil:

So why can't you play H5? Computer not strong enough? :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

vaudy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vaudy » 29 Jul 2006, 19:06

Yeah, I would have to upgrade both my memory and my video card, an I can't afford to. Gosh darn rent and stuff. This is what happens when you get all your computers second-hand from relatives. It is, however, better than no computer at all.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 29 Jul 2006, 19:15

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:So why can't you play H5? Computer not strong enough? :)
Don't remind me... :(
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 29 Jul 2006, 19:19

vaudy wrote:Yeah, I would have to upgrade both my memory and my video card, an I can't afford to. Gosh darn rent and stuff. This is what happens when you get all your computers second-hand from relatives. It is, however, better than no computer at all.
And cheaper :)
- Duke

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 29 Jul 2006, 21:39

theLuckyDragon wrote:
Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:So why can't you play H5? Computer not strong enough? :)
Don't remind me... :(
Sorry sweety :) You'll get to play it some time :hug:
- Dragon Age Origins

ozzlander
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Milla

Unread postby ozzlander » 30 Jul 2006, 02:22

I had been putting off buying a stronger computer until I saw HoMMV and Oblivian coming out.

That was my excuse for a semi - kicking gaming system (on my meager budget). My computer was a hand-me down from my brother. It was so outdated that I couldn't even upgrade, I had to start it all over. He builds computers, so I just ordered the components and had him build it for me. He is a starving College Student, so I payed him with a couple of homecooked meals. :)

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 30 Jul 2006, 15:30

Ahh, I'd like it if my brother had that kind of skills but he doesn't :disagree:
4 years ago I bought a brand new, shiny butt-kicking computer cause I got so tired of hand-me downs that eventually needed a lot of new components to even function :)
- Dragon Age Origins

vaudy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vaudy » 31 Jul 2006, 15:12

My brother does have those sorts of skils, but I can't really afford even the component parts. Of course, since I really don't play any game except Heroes, I never really worried about my computer, until now. You just don't need a lot of power to do word processing.

That said, I was very happy to get the new hand-me-down (I wasn't happy about why, but that's another story). The old hand-me-down was starting to crap out more and more often.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 02 Aug 2006, 11:15

Ah money is always an issue. Sometimes it pisses me off that all the new games are so high maintenance because as a regular mortal I don't have enough money to replace my computer every two years just to be able to play the new games. I know it's all just about making new and improved games and gameplay and that that require stronger computers but it's just going way to fast IMO.

Luckily I know a man who regularly upgrade my computer components in exchange for a ride to the train station but had I not known him I'd be screwed :disagree:
- Dragon Age Origins

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 02 Aug 2006, 21:13

*This comment will show that I'm old ;) *

Actually, I don't really think that *gameplay* has improved in newer games. For instance I still find the gameplay in MM6, Heroes II and Civ II outstanding.

The thing that is continually improved is the graphic-side of games, and this is the one to require the state of the art CPUs, GPUs etc.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Aug 2006, 18:03

Gameplay doesn't require any resources. It's representation does. They could make it just as complex with ASCII graphics, it just wouldn't look as "good".
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 04 Aug 2006, 23:54

There's that analness (is that a word?) I've seen from you guys so many times :rolleyes:
I've just started playing H5 a bit but find the whole 3D-thingy quite confusing :| It completely screws up my idea of a certain map and especially what's up and what's down :disagree: I surely hope I'll get more used to it.
At least now I find the game entertaining :-D
- Dragon Age Origins

Return to “Articles”