We all played HOMM V for some time and it's time to choose..

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What is your favorite faction in HOMM V?

Heaven
10%
Inferno
12%
Necropolis
24%
Dungeon
23%
Sylvan
16%
Academy
15%

Total votes: 164

koganei83
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby koganei83 » 16 Jul 2006, 03:25

I voted for the Academy simply because I always love the shooters (and Titans).. and to make artifacts... that is really fun!!!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 16 Jul 2006, 04:55

@howgrizzly

Why dont you edit the name then?I think that you can edit the polls even if someone voted.You cannot add an option,but I think that you can rename one.

juventas
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby juventas » 16 Jul 2006, 05:36

It's interesting that wolf8t8t says that about Dungeon, considering I can probably guess all those different strategies that he could use to "whip anyone." (Hint: it might possibly involve Raise Dead, Necromancy and skeleton archers. Oh wait, that's just one!)

My favorite faction has to be Dungeon, then Haven. Sylvan and Inferno tied for 3rd.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 16 Jul 2006, 08:05

I'm with Caradoc here: I like them all. If the game did one thing for me it made the Academy interesting. It has always been the town Iliked the least in Heroes 2-4, but this Academy I do like. I especially like the fact that the Gargoyles have made the transition from the old H1 and H2 Dungeon/Gothic style to a new and very fitting Academy style.
I never liked to play the Human faction that much either, because they were so "ordinary", but that has changed as well; you can try many interesting things.
The fact that each race has a distinct skill now, not only Necro, makes things rather interesting for me and I find myself constantly changing factions when starting a new game.

erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby erased. over. out » 16 Jul 2006, 08:36

I've always had a soft corner for Dungeon, but I went with Sylvan this time around. I was never a Sylvan fan in the previous games, but they seriously rule in this one. Everyone from the Hunters, to the Druids, War Dancers, Treants and even the Sprites are great units for their respective levels. The Heroes' special abilities are also admirable, and the Town is aesthetically pleasing. Overall, I had a great time playing with them in the Campaign levels. I have yet to start a single player game though. I am almost done with the game (currently playing Academy, Mission 4). Perhaps my choice will change in the next few months or so. But as of right now, the Sylvan faction has impressed me the most.

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant
Location: Somewhere out there in the Infernal Plane (Near 52°07'N 20°38'E)

Unread postby howgrizzly » 16 Jul 2006, 11:26

DaemianLucifer wrote:@howgrizzly

Why dont you edit the name then?I think that you can edit the polls even if someone voted.You cannot add an option,but I think that you can rename one.
I can't Edit the poll beacose there was a vote cast when I realized that I made the mistake. Think, if I'll change places let's say Inferno to dungeon isn't is strange?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster
and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: It seems like I hit a nerve here,

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 16 Jul 2006, 13:21

wolf8t8t wrote:Well let me say this... there is no strategy when you use warlock. The whole campaign was empower meteor shower. As for their heroes.... get destructive magic and sorcery. WOW.... That was sooooo tough! As a necromancer you have to be more selective in what you get. You need to use skill and half a brain... something that most you don't have. In fact I'm going out on a limb and say that most of you enjoyed the story of the campaign. Pick a large map, I'll be necro and I'll whip anyone man... or woman enough to challenge me! NOOBS In short put up a challenge or forever hold your peace.

Wolf
No wonder I never play multiplayer games on the internet.

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 16 Jul 2006, 14:04

PhoenixReborn wrote:
wolf8t8t wrote:Well let me say this... there is no strategy when you use warlock. The whole campaign was empower meteor shower. As for their heroes.... get destructive magic and sorcery. WOW.... That was sooooo tough! As a necromancer you have to be more selective in what you get. You need to use skill and half a brain... something that most you don't have. In fact I'm going out on a limb and say that most of you enjoyed the story of the campaign. Pick a large map, I'll be necro and I'll whip anyone man... or woman enough to challenge me! NOOBS In short put up a challenge or forever hold your peace.

Wolf
No wonder I never play multiplayer games on the internet.
Me to. To all you pro-players who master the game to the max to masturbat.e after you win:
let us have some fun playing mofo's
Friedrich Nietzsche

"How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself." - Sounds familiar? :D

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 16 Jul 2006, 14:38

wolf8t8t wrote:Well let me say this... there is no strategy when you use warlock. The whole campaign was empower meteor shower. As for their heroes.... get destructive magic and sorcery. WOW.... That was sooooo tough! As a necromancer you have to be more selective in what you get.
Wolf
Well, yes, that might apply in the campaigns but the discussion here is about the factions OVERALL, in singleplayer maps, campaigns, just the WHOLE faction!
And in multiplayer/singleplayer/scenarios the Undead are sometimes "no-brainers" cause the "skelly-raise dead" strategy is that effective!

wolf8t8t wrote: You need to use skill and half a brain... something that most you don't have.
Wolf
Everyone here is approaching you with (counter)arguments and examples..... and what are you doing? You don't even SUGGEST, that we don't have the brains, you just state it!
Again, I consider this (see: personal subjective opinion) bad manners/character!
wolf8t8t wrote: In fact I'm going out on a limb and say that most of you enjoyed the story of the campaign. Pick a large map, I'll be necro and I'll whip anyone man... or woman enough to challenge me! NOOBS In short put up a challenge or forever hold your peace.
Wolf
That's the point, for sure you will whip it cause Necro can be easily handled because of (again:) archers and raise dead... wouldn't that be a perfect example for the thing you call "noob strategy" ??!
Pick a map and play Dungeon versus a Necro player... might get pretty tough in some stages for most players!

By the way, why are you so keen of distinguishing yourself from all the nasty "noobs"everywhere? Are you in fear that they might be the persons that harrass or repress you in real life?
(Classic) transference beckons baby!
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 16 Jul 2006, 16:28

Vote: Sylvan

Why? Because I like it! :-D The "Nature" faction has been my favorite throughout the entire Heroes series. And Heroes V is no exception.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 16 Jul 2006, 17:12

HodgePodge wrote:Vote: Sylvan

Why? Because I like it! :-D The "Nature" faction has been my favorite throughout the entire Heroes series. And Heroes V is no exception.
Hey man I like you. You're a real fan. Fan begining with big F
I admire people with passion :D
Friedrich Nietzsche

wolf8t8t
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Sigh...

Unread postby wolf8t8t » 16 Jul 2006, 20:58

Again I state it, necro is far superior to any of the other races. And for those that like warlock ok great but don't go around saying they are the best race. There not. They really don't have much combat durability, they grow too slow, and cost too much. Aside from hydras and minotaurs all of their units once you get in their faces can't hold their own. And yeah you can say the same for necro units but look at it this way; You get skeletons for free, zombies growth and price makes up for their lack of everything, ghosts are hard to hit with haunt mine you can get them for free, vamps raise themselves, lichs are pimps, wraiths are a decent unit (would rather have death knights) and dragons grow +1 with the graveyard to make up for their lack of strength. Everything is also pretty dirt cheap too.

Also the whole raise dead thing is nice and all but there are a lot more strategies available. I would rather much build up a hero and take advantage of all the different abilities the necro heroes can get. Haunt mine is one of favs for no real reason at all. Yeah 25 ghosts is kinda worthless but more mines to take the more you get for free, that and harvasting skeletons is always fun.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 16 Jul 2006, 21:15

Voted Inferno.

Most tactical of all sides.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Shauku
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shauku » 16 Jul 2006, 21:30

Voted Academy.

Their philosophy just fits too well with my own. And I like the complexity of the town, even though the costs are enourmous -> no matter what you do. They are also a flexible bunch, since Artificer lets you change the army to the direction you need.

And lastly, the Middle-Eastern theme is captivating and original.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 17 Jul 2006, 02:17

well i've swelled the sylvan vote, although i have to say there are really three favourite factions, sylvan, dungeon and inferno

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 17 Jul 2006, 11:18

I'm looking at the results of the poll and I must say I'm very happy with the result. No Faction beats the other ones.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 17 Jul 2006, 13:13

I haven't played the Academy campaign or any single/multiplayer scenarios so I can't really vote yet. But I like all factions. Haven with their classic, powerful lineup, Inferno with their ultraoffensive tactics, Sylvan with their Avenger skill and great versitality. Necromancer with their legions of crap units and very powerful magic, Dungeon with their "powerful but few" theme and finally the wizards with their many shooters and powerful blockers.

In Heroes II & III I had clear favorites but in this version I find something I like in all 6 factions. I'll have to play a bit more to see if I can find a favorite.
If I voted now it would probably be the Wizards simply because I haven't played a full map with them yet (native hero + army).

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby djtc » 17 Jul 2006, 13:24

Voted Sylvan. I've always liked "Nature" factions in HOMM and this one is no exception. Units with great looks, great archers, plus you get Druids in this one...
There are possibly less race-specific advanced tactics than in HoMM IV, but still a great faction to play with.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 17 Jul 2006, 13:33

Campaigner wrote:If I voted now it would probably be the Wizards simply because I haven't played a full map with them yet (native hero + army).
Logical things in a logical world.
I couldn't resist, your statement coupled with your signature provides quite a contradiction.

@howgrizzly-you are right that the poll answers are spread among the factions...but why?

Is it because the factions are well balanced? Is it because they all have cool factor?

howgrizzly
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby howgrizzly » 17 Jul 2006, 13:37

PhoenixReborn wrote: @howgrizzly-you are right that the poll answers are spread among the factions...but why?

Is it because the factions are well balanced? Is it because they all have cool factor?
Yes. The factions are well balanced. You can read this in my earlier post from the middle of the poll's lifetime.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Heroes V-VI”