21%

Total votes: 28

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Master of Magic

Unread postby Cunning Death » 19 Jun 2006, 17:59

Master of Magic.
Do I have to say anything? A real Classic. I spent many weeks before the screen. Amazing visuals: summoning animation, magical effects. Deep tactics in battle, deep strategy on adventure map, city management, rpg elements, lots of spells, two map levels... shall I continue?

Do you remember?

e.d.
for those mortals, who haven't even heard about it: wikipedia
Last edited by Cunning Death on 19 Jun 2006, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
warning! there might be documented features in Heroes V
Water Polo European Championships Hajrá magyarok!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Master of Magic

Unread postby Pol » 19 Jun 2006, 18:07

Yes, SS'ra was cheating, starting in prohibited world, casting Armageddon and crashing the game!

Else great game, if you manage to win before, which wasn't so hard...

(This all, of course, apply only if you was talking about Master of Magic by Microprose)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Jun 2006, 18:12

Didnt play,but I might someday.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 19 Jun 2006, 18:16

Easily because it's abandonware now. very very long... in some way this is ancestor of King of Bounty, ancient DOS relic. Fairly best over many modern game by its concept. (Even H5, without problem...) :devious:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 19 Jun 2006, 18:18

DaemianLucifer wrote:Didnt play,but I might someday.
You have to. TBS classic game. Better than civ, because of spells :devious:
warning! there might be documented features in Heroes V
Water Polo European Championships Hajrá magyarok!

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 19 Jun 2006, 18:33

Civ with spells? Here you go.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 19 Jun 2006, 19:22

I spent many hours playing MOM. If you liked MOM you may want to try Age of Wonders 2:Shadowmagic which is very much like MOM with more up to date graphics.

The company that made Galactic Civilizations is (or at least was, I haven't checked their site recently) considering a remake of MOM.

GIW

Slaughter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Slaughter » 19 Jun 2006, 19:58

One of the best games ever made! I heard the rumour that StarDock (GalCiv I & II) might do the sequel too.
Greetings from Olav (Staff at StrategyCore.co.uk, Slaughter)

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 19 Jun 2006, 20:17

Age of Wonders games, while at first promoted as the 'new' HoMM, were actually the spiritual successors to the Master of Magic. A brilliant game, much better than Civ in my opinion but a little too easy to win. The key is a simple five letter word: mages...

One of the games I'd love to get my hands on its sequel..

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 19 Jun 2006, 20:46

I did not play it, but I remember playing a Civ II expansion scenario that featured some of the MoM characters. But that doesn't cut it, does it? ;)
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 20 Jun 2006, 00:07

Played it for hours, of course it was unstable and would crash, but I always wanted to play a sequel.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Boromir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Boromir » 20 Jun 2006, 08:11

Fantastic game - one of the best I've ever played. Still sometimes I play it, but with a bit modded unit stats - the summoned units in original game were too weak and therefore a bit useless. I chose the "waiting for a new version" option, but I'd choose two options (also "still playing") if I could. ;)
If it comes to Sss'ra: I used to start in Myrran and crash Sss'ra as soon as possible. With the whole Myrran with its extremely powerful nodes, it was a piece of cake to crash those who played in Arcanus. Sometimes I did not choose Myrran to save 3 picks for additional spellbooks (two were already lost for Warlord) and then I tried to capture any tower and move to Myrran as soon as possible. That was a rather difficult strategy, however.
Cheers,
Boromir
For every difficult question there is an easy answer: short, simple and wrong.

jaq
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jaq » 20 Jun 2006, 18:16

Boromir wrote:If it comes to Sss'ra: I used to start in Myrran and crash Sss'ra as soon as possible. With the whole Myrran with its extremely powerful nodes, it was a piece of cake to crash those who played in Arcanus.
In my last game I was basing on Hammerheads (or was they Hammerhands?) but conquering a node in Myrran was usually very difficult. The sorcery ones were easiest, but still I've got whole Myrran under my cities and most of the nodes unveiled. And then - the surface contest.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Jun 2006, 03:57

I've heard it was excellent, but haven't played it

Boromir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Boromir » 21 Jun 2006, 08:23

jaq wrote:In my last game I was basing on Hammerheads (or was they Hammerhands?) but conquering a node in Myrran was usually very difficult. The sorcery ones were easiest, but still I've got whole Myrran under my cities and most of the nodes unveiled. And then - the surface contest.
Sorcery - easiest? I would rather say "hardest". ;) The Sky Drakes were extremely poweful due to their magic immunity and huge speed (4).
And yes, hammerhands were great, but for the most powerful nodes usually you had to train best heroes (from Summon Champion spell): Warrax, Alorra and Mortu + Ravashack if you played death or Roland + I_don't_remember_her_name if you played life. In the second case you could also use Thorin the Chosen (there was a special spell for him).
Cheers,
Boromir
For every difficult question there is an easy answer: short, simple and wrong.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 21 Jun 2006, 09:28

Havent played it but this surely got me interested, so many races oh my, hope there will be just as many in the sequel too!
I just hope they dont smack Starforce or any other game ruining copy protection on the sequel, as with spellforce 2 :(

winterfate
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby winterfate » 03 Dec 2006, 05:10

This game is, without a doubt, awesome. I used to like starting with the dark elves and generating insane mana early by grabbing the nodes in Myrror. Then switch planes, summon, rinse, repeat :).

I hope MoM 2 comes out soon...ten long years...played the game when I was eight :-D.

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 03 Dec 2006, 10:10

ive played it abandonwarely.

loved the 2 parallel worlds and different(tho unbalanced) races. theres nothing like seeing my good old lizardmen walk on water.

but i quickly gave up before even finishing one game, because the user interface is very clumsy compared to any other TBS.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”