Spells

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Spells

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 05 Jan 2006, 21:25

Let's use this topic to discuss the magic system of Heroes of Might and Magic 5.

Firstly: the magic system. If I remember correctly, there was a screenshot or something last year that contained symbols of the Magic Schools, and people were guessing what the factions were according to what those symbols could represent.

Secondly: the actual spells. From what I've seen in the screenshots, good old Fireballs and Magic Bolts will be in. We'll also have Bless, and I guess we can safely suppose there will be some foul necromantic curses.

Until more info (or a demo; or the game) becomes available, what else do you think about the magic system?

note: I searched for the discussions on Magic on CH -> Plans for H5, but the links just brought me to the old Round Table's main page
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jan 2006, 21:58

Well holly word is sure to be in.Death ripple is also probable.Then there is cure.Magic arrow is somewhat a must.As for magic schools,I think they will either asign each dragon its own school,or that there will be elemental schools,plus one or two more.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 05 Jan 2006, 22:10

I've searched for that old... thing (just can't remember what exactly it was)... with the symbols of the magic houses, but I can't find it. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about and where to find it?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jan 2006, 22:16

theLuckyDragon wrote:I've searched for that old... thing (just can't remember what exactly it was)... with the symbols of the magic houses, but I can't find it. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about and where to find it?
Yes,I know what youre talking about.I think it was the title screen for HV for some time.Im not sure though,since it was long ago.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 05 Jan 2006, 22:30

I found the thing. It's actually a frame used in the Register screen at the old "teaser" site: https://secure.ubi.com/login/Login.aspx

Now that I think of it, I'm doubting its connection to the magical system, because it only has 4 symbols, the Sun, the Flaming Head, the Animal Head and the Winged Creature. They could stand for 4 of the factions; could the other two factions be somehow linked with these symbols? Or is this just an ornament?

Gunjack
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gunjack » 05 Jan 2006, 22:52

A thing that kinda bugs me (and it probably will after the game will be released) is that , from what I have seen in the screens and movies, in the spellbook there will be only three spells displayed on a page , i don`t like the ideea of browsing ten pages in my hero`s spellbook just to find the fireball 8|

gollum
Lurker
Lurker

Unread postby gollum » 05 Jan 2006, 22:56

If I remember correctly, there will be 4 scools of magic and there are spell type orienteted. Someting like that:

- curses
- blesses
- damage
- summoning

With 40 spells most probably each school will have around 10 spells.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Jan 2006, 23:50

gollum wrote:If I remember correctly, there will be 4 scools of magic and there are spell type orienteted. Someting like that:

- curses
- blesses
- damage
- summoning

That's not alot of spells.

Based on the videos Light and Summoning are two names of magic schools! So Light is most likely blesses, and Dark/Darkness curses. Wonder what the damage school will be called. Hopefully it won't be something stupid.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 14:11

gollum wrote:If I remember correctly, there will be 4 scools of magic and there are spell type orienteted. Someting like that:

- curses
- blesses
- damage
- summoning

Naw we thought that up on the old board, nothing but rumors.. we suggested that system but it was a very early assumption.
Grah!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Jan 2006, 14:37

Gunjack wrote:A thing that kinda bugs me (and it probably will after the game will be released) is that , from what I have seen in the screens and movies, in the spellbook there will be only three spells displayed on a page , i don`t like the ideea of browsing ten pages in my hero`s spellbook just to find the fireball 8|
It seems that it will stay like that.Thats really the dummest decision they made.It really adds nothing,and decreases so much.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 15:57

Well it's going to be a lot of flipping pages, unless a favorte spell thing is introduced.

Or they use 3 spells per page to hide the number of spells, make it look more :S
Grah!

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 06 Jan 2006, 17:07

When exactly are those screenshots and movies taken? Because only three spells per page is a bit... let's say ridiculous, if you ask me, so maybe they've changed things since then.

Gunjack
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Gunjack » 06 Jan 2006, 17:19

@theLuckDragon : i saw that in the movies from the Liepzg game convention ,and they are the latest movies i think
If ignorance is bliss , wipe the grin off my face ...

Montezuma
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Montezuma » 06 Jan 2006, 17:32

theLuckyDragon wrote:When exactly are those screenshots and movies taken? Because only three spells per page is a bit... let's say ridiculous, if you ask me, so maybe they've changed things since then.
Second that. Three spells per page is a bit restricted, I sure hope Nival will change that.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." - Brendan Gill

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 Jan 2006, 17:37

theLuckyDragon wrote:When exactly are those screenshots and movies taken? Because only three spells per page is a bit... let's say ridiculous, if you ask me, so maybe they've changed things since then.
Actually,they did change it.Now its one spell per two pages :devil:

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 06 Jan 2006, 17:47

Now that would be ridiculous... :) :-D :D

I wouldn't mind fewer spells per page if they were accompanied by a short description like the ones in Heroes 4. They made the game more fun; the spellbook became something personal, in which the hero noted the magical formulas and words along with observations from the mages of the Mage Guilds he had visited and studied at.

But still, three per page isn't a good idea. :disagree:

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 06 Jan 2006, 18:34

Well it is so rediculus that it could work for Nival ...
Grah!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 Jan 2006, 23:21

theLuckyDragon wrote:Now that would be ridiculous... :) :-D :D

I wouldn't mind fewer spells per page if they were accompanied by a short description like the ones in Heroes 4. They made the game more fun; the spellbook became something personal, in which the hero noted the magical formulas and words along with observations from the mages of the Mage Guilds he had visited and studied at.

But still, three per page isn't a good idea. :disagree:

Actualy they're only huge pictures...

But if there are only 40... that's like 13-14 pages total... 4 pages per school ... 2 double pages...

If they put too many spells on 1 page = one short spellbook!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 08 Jan 2006, 11:10

I wouldn't mind. I prefer a short spell book over flipping dozens of pages every time you want to cast a spell. :S
Grah!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 08 Jan 2006, 12:32

I hope there will be description of each spell, at least. It was interesting and funny to read the tiny stories and descriptions of each spell.

Im glad Ice Bolt will be in the game, that spell looks pretty painful :devil:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”