CH Forum vs HV

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 May 2006, 22:32

I wouldn't put much faith in the first patch. If you really want to wait 3-4 patches sound more reasonable. Especialy with all the spelling errors.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 May 2006, 22:39

I was more being sarcastic. ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 May 2006, 22:56

Ups.. missed the :P

Seriously, someone had to make that show the tongue smiley. :tongue:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 May 2006, 23:23

ThunderTitan wrote: It's just been a week. I'm sure we won't complain for a month. People are just pissed right now.
Oh,I wouldnt bet on it.Some of us are very durable :devil:

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 22 May 2006, 03:49

Linky wrote:Look, I'm just saying that they should move on. I know it might be hard to let go but it would benefit everyone. There's nothing to be achieved in hanging around here telling what and what is worse than it ever was before.
I fail to see how.

1. The people who supported the game lose out because they lose any chance of seeing a game they feel is worthwhile. They also would have to basically throw out all their previous efforts, which few will do easily.

2. The devs lose because they’ve lost the sales of those people who may have otherwise bought expansions or sequels if either made the game worthwhile to those people.

3. The community loses out because those people, being among the most driven and active (or else they would not have done so much), will no longer be contributing—mods, maps, discussions, or anything.

Nothing is accomplished when people give up. To do so would be like a drug—it may feel good, at first, but it isn’t healthy in the long run.

And, of course, you over look the simple fact that if the people who contributed were the sort to pass on without a word, with no word of protest or explanation, they would not be the sort to contribute in the first place.

Kaboth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaboth » 22 May 2006, 04:52

So far I've only played the demo but I'm keen to buy the retail version soon.

The camera is just a pain as I always thought it would be but I'm willing to put up with it because I enjoy the core Heroes V gameplay so much. In fact I prefer Heroes V's gameplay to its predecessors.

But as countless people have mentioned the user interface and presentation of text is just sloppy. Fingers crossed between expansion packs and patches most of these problems will be fixed.

Hopefully there will be a competant skirmish AI, map editor and random map generator aswell. If Nival can meet those achievable goals throughout the game's lifetime; Heroes V will be my favourite HoMM game yet.

Back on topic...

There are a lot of valid complaints about the game which are making the forums a bit of a drag to read when the same points are made over and over again. A sticky "complaints" thread would be great to help people sound of their concerns without contaminating too many other threads with negativity.

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 22 May 2006, 10:58

The last thing I wanted with my posts on this thread was to start yet another debate. I'll stop.

See you at the mapmakers area when the time comes.

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 22 May 2006, 11:47

I personally think that HV is definitely better than HIV, but it would have been nice if they'd kept the might and magic hero per town and the caravan to transfer units between towns.

HIV wasn't bad as such, it was just bugged in some areas / brough heroes onto the battlefield, which in my opinion was a bad mistake.

I was also thinking, maybe HV was designed the way it is to make it easier for new fans to enter the game? It can be intimidating if something new is designed purely for a fan base and you need to play previous game to get the gist of what is going on.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 22 May 2006, 11:51

Well with for example elemental chains and the somewhat involved skillsystem (what's needed for what and so on), you don't even have previous games to help you get your gist along. So some areas are simpler than previous games, while some are more complex.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 May 2006, 12:34

Ethric wrote:Well with for example elemental chains [...] you don't even have previous games to help you get your gist along.
Like anyone would need help with those after they've been dumbed down :|
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 May 2006, 12:55

What's the new deal with the Elemental Chains anyway? It's just Water vs. Fire and Air vs. Earth?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 May 2006, 13:07

Yup, that seems to be it. Doesn't do very much damage, either (the old one was insane in that regard, though).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 May 2006, 13:23

I don't know. Seen it do over 100 dmg once. And it gets +10% for every Dungeon that has the second building.
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 22 May 2006, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 22 May 2006, 13:25

Ah, my bad, haven't kept up on recent "improvements" :rolleyes:
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 22 May 2006, 16:01

ThunderTitan wrote:I don't know. Seen it do over 100 dmg once. And it gets +10% for every Dungeon that has the second building.
100 extra damage isnt that much in later games.Yet another feature sacrificed for balance :disagree:

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 22 May 2006, 16:20

Wildbear wrote:A good HoMM game would never let you go to bed. :tongue:
Wow. I missed this post yesterday. So true. Looking back, I only had this feeling with H3 and - even if I discovered them only afterwards - H2 and H1. With H4 just a bit and only in some campaigns (never in a scenario). With H5, although I'm playing it for 6 months already, not yet.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 22 May 2006, 16:24

Kareeah Indaga wrote:
Linky wrote:Look, I'm just saying that they should move on. I know it might be hard to let go but it would benefit everyone. There's nothing to be achieved in hanging around here telling what and what is worse than it ever was before.
I fail to see how.

1. The people who supported the game lose out because they lose any chance of seeing a game they feel is worthwhile. They also would have to basically throw out all their previous efforts, which few will do easily.

2. The devs lose because they’ve lost the sales of those people who may have otherwise bought expansions or sequels if either made the game worthwhile to those people.

3. The community loses out because those people, being among the most driven and active (or else they would not have done so much), will no longer be contributing—mods, maps, discussions, or anything.

Nothing is accomplished when people give up. To do so would be like a drug—it may feel good, at first, but it isn’t healthy in the long run.

And, of course, you over look the simple fact that if the people who contributed were the sort to pass on without a word, with no word of protest or explanation, they would not be the sort to contribute in the first place.
QFE (...just in case Fabrice missed it, but I doubt) :p

Thanks Kareeah. You might not know why exactly am I saying this, but thank you. ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 May 2006, 18:19

DaemianLucifer wrote: 100 extra damage isnt that much in later games.Yet another feature sacrificed for balance :disagree:
I was under the impression it depended on creature numbers. I'm pretty sure it went up when I had more creatures. And 140 seemed pretty good to me at the time.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 May 2006, 22:50

Well, it always seems to be doing like 10 % extra damage- which is quite weak when compared to Luck, even if chains are more predictable.

And what's with all these abilities requiring towns to be useful? The Rangers and Wizards are useless without a town, Warlock's unpredicatble and Knights lose half the ability...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”