Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
justl
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 23.07.2023]

Unread postby justl » 16 Sep 2023, 06:23

joanthedark wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 11:13
Macros the Black wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 21:08 How long should it take for a Dragon Hatchling to grow up? It's taking up an NPC slot
Which quest is this? I don't remember a Dragon Hatchling quest (only remember Dragon Egg Quest in MM7), is it Merge related?
it is the dragon egg quest from mm7 but with tweaks (only darkside one which you can do on the light side)
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 16 Sep 2023, 13:54

joanthedark wrote: 14 Sep 2023, 11:13
Macros the Black wrote: 11 Sep 2023, 21:08How long should it take for a Dragon Hatchling to grow up? It's taking up an NPC slot
Which quest is this? I don't remember a Dragon Hatchling quest (only remember Dragon Egg Quest in MM7), is it Merge related?
It's the one from MM7; MMMerge lets you do the Warlock quest even if you side with Bracada (because it leads to a new party NPC)

joanthedark
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby joanthedark » 17 Sep 2023, 02:32

I see! I will have to check it out in my next playthrough, thank you justl and raekuul!

pyrahead
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pyrahead » 18 Sep 2023, 11:01

I have encountered a weird issue on my Steamdeck. I got it working and all, created my characters and checked in the settings for some controls and changed some keys. For example Attack "A" to "F" and everything registered fine. I can even play the game mobile on my Steamdeck and thats awesome. But the only key that actually works ingame (it registers the keypress in the settings) is opening the spell book with "C". "F" for attacking does not work, "Tab" for switching characters etc. The weird thing is, in the settings I can change them how I want to but then ingame nothing works. I switched to desktop mode with mouse / keyboard and the issue persists. Any ideas?

The first time I installed the game on a windows PC and just copied the files over and choose Proton for launching. Now the second time I installed it completely new on my Steamdeck but same problem still. Ingame most of the Keypresses don't work but in the settings menu they do. :wall:

Arch-vile
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arch-vile » 18 Sep 2023, 12:35

pyrahead wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 11:01 I have encountered a weird issue on my Steamdeck. I got it working and all, created my characters and checked in the settings for some controls and changed some keys. For example Attack "A" to "F" and everything registered fine. I can even play the game mobile on my Steamdeck and thats awesome. But the only key that actually works ingame (it registers the keypress in the settings) is opening the spell book with "C". "F" for attacking does not work, "Tab" for switching characters etc. The weird thing is, in the settings I can change them how I want to but then ingame nothing works. I switched to desktop mode with mouse / keyboard and the issue persists. Any ideas?

The first time I installed the game on a windows PC and just copied the files over and choose Proton for launching. Now the second time I installed it completely new on my Steamdeck but same problem still. Ingame most of the Keypresses don't work but in the settings menu they do. :wall:
All keys are stored in registries (Windows10)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\New World Computing\Might and Magic Day of the Destroyer\1.0]

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 19 Sep 2023, 06:24

pyrahead wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 11:01 Ingame most of the Keypresses don't work but in the settings menu they do. :wall:
I don't have steamdeck, but I remember having issue with hotkeys on desktop: game does not recognize them, if you have more than one keyboard layout, and current one is not english.

justl
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby justl » 19 Sep 2023, 15:47

pyrahead wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 11:01 I have encountered a weird issue on my Steamdeck. I got it working and all, created my characters and checked in the settings for some controls and changed some keys. For example Attack "A" to "F" and everything registered fine. I can even play the game mobile on my Steamdeck and thats awesome. But the only key that actually works ingame (it registers the keypress in the settings) is opening the spell book with "C". "F" for attacking does not work, "Tab" for switching characters etc. The weird thing is, in the settings I can change them how I want to but then ingame nothing works. I switched to desktop mode with mouse / keyboard and the issue persists. Any ideas?

well for me it looks like the game is searching for windows registry-keys (as arch-vile said) which are obviously not there on a linux-installation (steamdeck is based on arch 3 ) - so the game cant locate they reg-keys for the keyboard-keys.
this question is probably better answered in a linux forum or directly on the steam forum (maybe someone also has had a similar issue posted there already)
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 20 Sep 2023, 08:29

Rodril wrote:
So, I've put my hands on pack lods finally.
  • '00 patch.bitmaps.lod' - changing files of GrayFace's patch isn't a best idea (they could and will be changed easily by non-MMMerge source), better overwrite required contents with mm8.bitmaps.lod (if bitmap is an unchanged copy from MM8) or in mmmerge.bitmaps.lod (if bitmap was modified).
  • breach.sprites.lod - Again? Lod was merged into mmmerge.sprites.lod in 2022, mistakenly resurrected and removed again (discussed earlier).
  • dwarves.icons.lod - lod was merged into mmmerge.icons.lod in 2022.
  • mm6.EnglishT.lod - Again? mm6.T.lod is enough (discussed earlier).
  • mm6.T.lod - you've dropped all the evt fixes from packs 2022-06-18 and 2022-08-30.
  • mm7.EnglishT.lod - Again? mm7.T.lod is enough (discussed earlier).
  • mm7.T.lod - you've dropped all the evt fixes from packs 2022-06-18 and 2022-08-30.
  • mmmerge.T.lod - you've dropped all the evt fixes from packs 2022-06-18 and 2022-08-30.
  • mmmerge.D.lod - file was splitted into 4 in pack 2022-04-08, undead voices were merged into mmmerge.D.lod. Note that mm8.D.lod contains files from EnglishD.lod that were modified in official FR and DE translation of MM8 (available at GOG), other files are taken by game from vanilla *D.lod.
  • patch.EnglishD.lod - lod was merged into mmmerge.D.lod in 2022.
  • patch.icons.lod - lod was merged into mmmerge.icons.lod in 2022.
  • patch.sprites.lod - lod was merged into mmmerge.sprites.lod in 2022.
  • select.icons.lod - lod contents from 2021 was merged into mmmerge.icons.lod in 2022. New addition should probably go there as well.
  • vanilla lods (EnglishT.lod, EnglishD.lod, bitmaps.lod, games.lod, icons.lod, sprites.lod) aren't needed in MMMerge pack. (games.lod is modified but it is overwritten by mm8.games.lod completely.)
Note there were changes for mmmerge.T.lod txt files after 2023-08-30 at https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge-data/-/commits/rodril
(See also related issue https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/issues/22)

Localization issues should be discussed in separated post/thread. I just say here I've written initial version of generator of txt-tables from gettext po and vice versa (see https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge-utils ... zzL10n.lua). This should help to preserve consistence and avoid a lot of possible errors caused by txt-tables values difference.

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 20 Sep 2023, 08:39

justl wrote: 19 Sep 2023, 15:47

well for me it looks like the game is searching for windows registry-keys (as arch-vile said) which are obviously not there on a linux-installation (steamdeck is based on arch 3 ) - so the game cant locate they reg-keys for the keyboard-keys.
this question is probably better answered in a linux forum or directly on the steam forum (maybe someone also has had a similar issue posted there already)
But how can I update and use such keys on my debian? :) Registry is obviously present on wine/proton.
There was a discussion about non-working switch to turn-based mode on steam deck last year: https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/issues/19 - maybe it could help somebody.

pyrahead
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby pyrahead » 20 Sep 2023, 18:51

cthscr wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 08:39
justl wrote: 19 Sep 2023, 15:47

But how can I update and use such keys on my debian? :) Registry is obviously present on wine/proton.
There was a discussion about non-working switch to turn-based mode on steam deck last year: https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/issues/19 - maybe it could help somebody.
This looks very helpful. I will try that in the next days.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 23 Sep 2023, 15:09

cthscr wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 08:29 So, I've put my hands on pack lods finally.
Correct pack contains MM678_Merged_2022_08_30_nomedia and MM678_Merged_media_2021, without feb2022 archive right? If not, could you just send me archive with latest updates for base, made after february 2022? It all became too confusing.

MaxExpo
Lurker
Lurker

Unread postby MaxExpo » 24 Sep 2023, 06:27

Hi everyone! I played MM678Merge mod several times (it was downloaded from torrent)
Now i download new version 23/07/2023 and patches and GOG version of MM8 and do the same steps as in the instruction.
And the game crash. nothing i can do to start it.
Please advise :)

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 24 Sep 2023, 20:55

MaxExpo wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 06:27 Hi everyone! I played MM678Merge mod several times (it was downloaded from torrent)
Now i download new version 23/07/2023 and patches and GOG version of MM8 and do the same steps as in the instruction.
And the game crash. nothing i can do to start it.
Please advise :)
If you are using windows 7, you might need to delete ExeMods folder and replace it with one provided in first post.
Otherwise what is your installation order, do you use any localization files? Order should be:
1. Gog mm8 game, installed anywhere but in Program files folder.
2. Extract mod files, replacing existing.
3. Extract mod patch files.
Nothing else is necessary, mmpatch is included.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 25 Sep 2023, 02:27

hi, guys, there is a description in the file RemoveSkillValueLimits.lua as follows:

Code: Select all

-- MaxSkillVal is maximum value of base_skill + skill_bonus
-- Should be 2^N-1 with maximum value of 0x3FF
local MaxSkillVal = 0xFF
-- MaxSkillBase is maximum value of base_skill
local MaxSkillBase = 0x50
So if we change both MaxSkillVal and MaxSkillBase to 0x3FF, will this have negative consequences for the game? If it is affected, what is the appropriate maximum value for MaxSkillBase when MaxSkillVa is 0x3FF?
thank you.

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 25 Sep 2023, 08:03

Rodril wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 15:09
cthscr wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 08:29 So, I've put my hands on pack lods finally.
Correct pack contains MM678_Merged_2022_08_30_nomedia and MM678_Merged_media_2021, without feb2022 archive right?
Right.
An update from 2022_08_30 to 2023_07_23 which preserves fixes can also be obtained at https://mega.nz/file/bi5nUSZJ#cD-DHk1S4 ... 4tIh1LM1WA (5 lods in Data).
Last edited by cthscr on 26 Sep 2023, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 25 Sep 2023, 08:19

toadking wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 02:27 hi, guys, there is a description in the file RemoveSkillValueLimits.lua as follows:

local MaxSkillVal = 0xFF
So if we change both MaxSkillVal and MaxSkillBase to 0x3FF, will this have negative consequences for the game? If it is affected, what is the appropriate maximum value for MaxSkillBase when MaxSkillVa is 0x3FF?
thank you.
Initially there were some patches that used byte (8 bit) logic for skill level [not mastery] (so maximum was 0xFF). I've rewritten them later, but never tested properly with bigger values. As you can see few lines lower, there were hardcoded numbers as well. There could be some oversights left still.
MaxSkillBase is the maximum level you can get by investing skillpoints. Whatever number that isn't bigger than MaxSkillVal and not lower than 10 perhaps?

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 25 Sep 2023, 11:13

cthscr wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 08:19
toadking wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 02:27 hi, guys, there is a description in the file RemoveSkillValueLimits.lua as follows:

local MaxSkillVal = 0xFF
thank you.
Initially there were some patches that used byte (8 bit) logic for skill level [not mastery] (so maximum was 0xFF). I've rewritten them later, but never tested properly with bigger values. As you can see few lines lower, there were hardcoded numbers as well. There could be some oversights left still.
MaxSkillBase is the maximum level you can get by investing skillpoints. Whatever number that isn't bigger than MaxSkillVal and not lower than 10 perhaps?
Before confirming with you, I have tested it several days and found no issues after changed both MaxSkillVal and MaxSkillBase to 0x3FF, skill's upper limit is 1023. It seems your modifications were successful, thank you again.

Zage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zage » 26 Sep 2023, 07:45

Rodril wrote: 24 Sep 2023, 20:55 If you are using windows 7, you might need to delete ExeMods folder and replace it with one provided in first post.
Otherwise what is your installation order, do you use any localization files? Order should be:
1. Gog mm8 game, installed anywhere but in Program files folder.
2. Extract mod files, replacing existing.
3. Extract mod patch files.
Nothing else is necessary, mmpatch is included.
I'm trying to install this for the first time on windows 10. I followed those 3 steps above, tried both sp2 and sp3 compatibility, and I've also tried both the community branch and the revamp branch. When I do those, I delete the scripts folder before starting, as suggested on the install page.

But then I get a major lag problem and I can't figure out the problem.

Edit: ok, so choosing win xp service pack 2 in windows 10 was a lot more complicated than I realized. I had to choose "change settings for all users" to access the right options, rather than just running the compatibility troubleshooter (the other options appeared grayed out), which did not allow selection of the specific compatibility mode that was needed. I'm usually much better about figuring these things out, but I got stuck looking in the wrong places (.ini files, etc.).

I'm really excited to relive this journey now on the revamp.

Thanks so much for your work on this guys!
Last edited by Zage on 28 Sep 2023, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 27 Sep 2023, 00:06

Hi, guys, sorry to bother you again, I found some issues, detail as below:
1. The duration of the divine transcendence effect is relatively long, far greater than 30*power minutes.
2. In MM6, two houses east of the tavern in New Sorpigal , some topic don't respond if clicking:
----House1: House string is "Harold Hess the Laborer", clicking 'Blade's End Membership' doesn't respond.
----House2: House string is "Hejaz Mawsil the Mystic" , clicking 'Buccaneer's Lair Membership' does not respond.
But it seems that two guilds in mm6 don't need to be members to learn skills, these does not affect visiting the guild.
3. I hired a non-combat NPC, scholar, who is no longer able to identify items.
4. After applied the patch mmmerge-master.zip (time stamp:2023.09.22), cast the magic "Town Portal" on Ravenshore in MM8 will cause following error:

D:\MMMerge\Scripts\Maps\out02.lua:35: attempt to call global 'InBreachRange' (a nil value)

stack traceback:
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts\Maps\out02.lua:35: in function 'v'
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:66: in function 'docall'
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:126: in function 'call'
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts\General\ExtraEvents.lua:187: in function 'v'
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:66: in function 'docall'
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:126: in function 'call'
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts\General\SpellsExtra.lua:478: in function <D:\MMMerge\Scripts\General\SpellsExtra.lua:454>
	[C]: in function 'pcall'
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts/Core/Common.lua:203: in function 'pcall2'
	D:\Program Files\MMTEMP\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1779: in function <D:\MMMerge\Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1776>

arguments of 'v':
	t = (table: 0x29855c80)

local variables of 'v':
	(*temporary) = nil
	(*temporary) = 3.1379372364946e-287
	(*temporary) = 1.2311250987392e-312
	(*temporary) = 0
	(*temporary) = "attempt to call global 'InBreachRange' (a nil value)"
need your help.

My program :Gog mm8+MM678_Merged_2023_07_23.zip+MM678_Patch_2023_07_25_2.zip+MM678_Patch_2023_08_01.zip+MM678_Patch_2023_08_10.zip, for your reference.

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 27 Sep 2023, 12:54

toadking wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 00:06 Hi, guys, sorry to bother you again, I found some issues, detail as below:
1. The duration of the divine transcendence effect is relatively long, far greater than 30*power minutes.
I suspect it's till rest. Or other bonus reset events (travel/level up).
2. In MM6, two houses east of the tavern in New Sorpigal , some topic don't respond if clicking:
----House1: House string is "Harold Hess the Laborer", clicking 'Blade's End Membership' doesn't respond.
----House2: House string is "Hejaz Mawsil the Mystic" , clicking 'Buccaneer's Lair Membership' does not respond.
But it seems that two guilds in mm6 don't need to be members to learn skills, these does not affect visiting the guild.
In Revamp they should work and membership is required. In Base events weren't implemented.
3. I hired a non-combat NPC, scholar, who is no longer able to identify items.
Item types 7-18 (ie non-weapon, non-armor).
4. After applied the patch mmmerge-master.zip (time stamp:2023.09.22), cast the magic "Town Portal" on Ravenshore in MM8 will cause following error:

D:\MMMerge\Scripts\Maps\out02.lua:35: attempt to call global 'InBreachRange' (a nil value)
need your help.

My program :Gog mm8+MM678_Merged_2023_07_23.zip+MM678_Patch_2023_07_25_2.zip+MM678_Patch_2023_08_01.zip+MM678_Patch_2023_08_10.zip, for your reference.
(My git-)merge failed. Should be fixed now.

Return to “Might and Magic”