Leak

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 11 May 2006, 12:56

Gaidal Cain wrote:If that doesn't apply to you, fine, but don't expect the laws to be made so that what you does would be defined as legal...
I'm just showing that merely hinting at the fact that it's illegal doesn't mean anything.
Ethric wrote:You are aquireing someone's property, the results of their labour, without their consent. That is stealing. Whether they suffer an actual physical loss or not is irrelevant.
May I ask irrevelant to who? Not to me.
Znork wrote:1 the problem her is that it is ethical would you like not to get payed for youre work? And that fackt that you dont think the law is right dosent make it less illigal!
Good point but.. Rammstein and Depeche Mode both say that it's fine downloading their music but still as a fan I'm breaking the law in doing so.

so the point can't be applied to both scenarios. and to answer your question; if I made a game I'd like for everyone who would sit down and play it for say, 100 hours to pay for it. if they are only going to play it for a short while I wouldn't want them paying for it.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 11 May 2006, 13:08

Arzang wrote:
if I made a game I'd like for everyone who would sit down and play it for say, 100 hours to pay for it. if they are only going to play it for a short while I wouldn't want them paying for it.
You are free to make a game, and offer 100 hours of free playing time before any purchase is required. But if someone making a game wants you to pay up front, that you would have it done differently doesn't give you the right to help yourself to it.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 11 May 2006, 13:24

HugoMF wrote: 2- Don't realize that what matters to companies isn't the number of people who download the game, but the number of people who BUY the game. They dont care if you download it, they only care if you BUY it when it comes out.
Except that they can't tell you did both.
For example, let's say 100,000 people d/l the game. Let's further make the (unrealistic) assumption that all of them eventually buy the game at full, release price- this is the best-case scenario. Also assume that there are 100,000 people who did not d/l it, but get the game 100% honestly.
They see: 300,000 copies of the game are out there, 200,000 have been paid for. that means 33% piracy-caused lost income.

Now, for a more realistic idea:
100,000 d/l it. 50,000 buy at release, 20,000 buy when it hits the discount rack (typically 40% of release price) and the rest never buy it, and again 100,000 buy normally.

They see: 270,000 copies out there, 20,000 at 40% value = 258,000 times the release cost of product out there. sales account for 150,000 + 40% of 20,000 = 158,000 times the cost. this means that there was about 39% lost revinue due to piracy.

Unless they can somehow find out who falls in both categories (d/l and purchase), this is what they see. And considering that it is unlikely someone doanloading from a warez site will leave that information, they won't get that information.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 11 May 2006, 13:28

Kalah wrote:
King Imp wrote:What I don't get is how anyone even got their hands on it in the first place.
That is where the "theft" part comes in. Somebody has taken a copy and made it available on the net. It could have been somebody who were supposed to test/review it, it could be somebody employed at UbiSoft, it could be any number of people.
Yeah and those are the people that s***. Really that guy is the one that makes video games more and more crappy every time someone downloads the game instead of buying it... It's a vicious circle
Grah!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 May 2006, 13:41

Even though you hate pirates,you have to admire their speed.And even SF wouldnt prevent this,since SF2 has SF,yet you can download it as well.

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 11 May 2006, 13:52

DaemianLucifer wrote:Even though you hate pirates,you have to admire their speed.And even SF wouldnt prevent this,since SF2 has SF,yet you can download it as well.
They are good i must admit!

But just to undline my point on way you should not dl the game becuse the homm v was craked so fast it will take a smal act of god that ubi will not start using sf again! And us it on the expantion!
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice!

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 11 May 2006, 14:07

I'm NOT downloading the game... I'm waiting to buy it... but the "holier than thou" attitude by some people is pretty funny... case in point...
So you think it ok to do somthing becuse yes it might be illigal but i dont get cought? Well my frind a law is a law, and well you are braking it!
So you've NEVER broken ANY law in ANY way at ANY time in your whole life? You live the life of a Saint? You say ALL laws must be obeyed, that none can ever be broken.

Tell me honestly... you've NEVER speed over the speed limit while driving a car ever? Because my friend... "a law is a law, and if you speed... well, you are breaking it!"

Or is breaking the speed limit okay, cuz everyone else does it? ;|

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 11 May 2006, 14:11

Wolfshanze wrote: So you've NEVER broken ANY law in ANY way at ANY time in your whole life? You live the life of a Saint? You say ALL laws must be obeyed, that none can ever be broken.

Tell me honestly... you've NEVER speed over the speed limit while driving a car ever? Because my friend... "a law is a law, and if you speed... well, you are breaking it!"

Or is breaking the speed limit okay, cuz everyone else does it? ;|
Im not telling you that i dont brake the law im not perfect. And yhea i even dled the alpha to try it! But you are attacking 1 of my arguments ant that im a law braker dosent make their law braking bether.

But this argument that its ok to download should stop its not ok! Its hurting me its hurting you and its hurting the gaming industri!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 May 2006, 14:45

Its actually the agresive politics of copy protection producers and insane prices that are making pirates so numerous.If the prices were fair(say 20 or so dollars),without any unnecessary program that can destroy your computer,piracy would become almost extinct.

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 11 May 2006, 15:17

DaemianLucifer wrote:Its actually the agresive politics of copy protection producers and insane prices that are making pirates so numerous.If the prices were fair(say 20 or so dollars),without any unnecessary program that can destroy your computer,piracy would become almost extinct.
Well it is a catche 22 sitution:) They will not do it aslong as people pirate!

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 11 May 2006, 15:20

And anyway it wouldn't work, however low the prices was there'd still be pirating.
- Duke

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 11 May 2006, 15:29

DaemianLucifer wrote:Its actually the agresive politics of copy protection producers and insane prices that are making pirates so numerous.If the prices were fair(say 20 or so dollars),without any unnecessary program that can destroy your computer,piracy would become almost extinct.
Not enough. Most people chose the most comfortable and fastest way to get something that they like. The less effort needed the better. So, additionally to reducing the price one has to make sure that everyone around the world has also easy access to it. If walking to the shop or post delivery takes more time than performing a warez search and download the huge file, you still have people interested in downloading.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 11 May 2006, 15:38

=Cheaper games available in a steam-style delivery system. Preferably cutting out the middleman (publisher) as much as possible or re-defining the role.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 11 May 2006, 15:47

Ethric wrote:You are free to make a game, and offer 100 hours of free playing time before any purchase is required. But if someone making a game wants you to pay up front, that you would have it done differently doesn't give you the right to help yourself to it.
I was only replying to Znork's question ;P

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 May 2006, 16:04

Ethric wrote:You are free to make a game, and offer 100 hours of free playing time before any purchase is required. But if someone making a game wants you to pay up front, that you would have it done differently doesn't give you the right to help yourself to it.
No,but that doesnt mean that you still cant do it :devil: To each his own,I say.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 11 May 2006, 17:36

I'm just going to say one thing and one thing only on something I've read over and over here.

To those that complain about not being able to afford the game. Funny how you can afford the computer this plays on that probably costs 10-20 times as much as the actual software, but you can't afford the actual game.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 11 May 2006, 17:39

Well that's easy, they probably stole the PC as well (it just fell of the back of a truck, honest!).
- Duke

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 11 May 2006, 17:42

Hehe, chew on that one pirates and thiefs :D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 May 2006, 17:43

King Imp wrote:To those that complain about not being able to afford the game. Funny how you can afford the computer this plays on that probably costs 10-20 times as much as the actual software, but you can't afford the actual game.
And what do you think because of what are they unable to aford the game? :devil:

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 11 May 2006, 17:55

Let me reiterate some of what I wrote in the official UbiSoft "StarForce Removed" Thread:

This theft has all the earmarks of an inside job, which wouldn't have been stopped by any type of copy protection anyhow … so why punish those of us who are buying the game honestly?

Maybe UbiSoft & whatever company did the mass copying, should look more closely at their employee pool; as it is most definetely someone on the inside who initially stole the game.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”