Ancestors = Ancients - ?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 30 Aug 2008, 12:15

Corlagon wrote:I won't say any more on it. You'll find out for yourself in a few months :)
Check your PM Inbox, please.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 30 Aug 2008, 14:52

XEL II wrote:I mentioned the Ancients creating planets like XEEN, which is stated in the Legend of the Unification, not the seeded world or seedships.
XEEN - Xylonite Enviorment Experimental Nascelle (or something like that - check yourself if you want).
Do you think that this "experimental" sentence is only for filling one "E" in "ship" name?
For me it suggests that XEEN Project is first of it's kind.
XEL II wrote:Sleepers aren't the Elemental Lords and not the Elementals, they are mechanism used in the Unification (not creation) of XEEN (they talk like robots and were reffered to as the Slumbering Servants).
I don't remember that. Could you quote sentence where Sleepers are described as non-living mechanisms?
Person with low intellect also can speak as "robot", so slowly talking person (and if you were wake up from your long dream, do you think you will speak quick or slowly?).
And Ancients manipulated elementals more then one time (creation of CRON in MM2, info from MM3 outro, chambers of Oracle in MM6 - look of they colours, and finally Escaton). So why don't they use some inhibitants of elemental planes insted of creating new beings?

Ancients are not only masters of electronic, they are also masters of biology (or rather biotechnology) - VARNs (terraforming platforms), CRONs, Guardians (Corak, Sheltem and Dragon Pharaoh not only looks like living beings but also bleed from they wounds) and magic (see what can do these Guardians and if they can how powerful can be they masters?).
I think that name technomages fits for Ancients well.

So don't forget that besides of technology, they are other sciences (magic included) that Ancients mastered.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 30 Aug 2008, 15:17

Avonu wrote:
XEL II wrote:I mentioned the Ancients creating planets like XEEN, which is stated in the Legend of the Unification, not the seeded world or seedships.
XEEN - Xylonite Enviorment Experimental Nascelle (or something like that - check yourself if you want).
Do you think that this "experimental" sentence is only for filling one "E" in "ship" name?
For me it suggests that XEEN Project is first of it's kind.
"Experimental" doesn't mean one and only. Legend of the Unification directly says about thousands. XEEN could be the first of its own kind (two-sided platform, whose Unification is to be transformed into the normal planet), not the first of Ancient-created planets.
Corlagon wrote:I don't remember that. Could you quote sentence where Sleepers are described as non-living mechanisms?
Person with low intellect also can speak as "robot", so slowly talking person (and if you were wake up from your long dream, do you think you will speak quick or slowly?).
They didn't speak quick or slowly. They talk like mechanism (they were probably biological, though) when you awaken them. Something like "my confidence is 100%". Besides, they are also called the Sluimbering Servants.
Avonu wrote:Ancients are not only masters of electronic, they are also masters of biology (or rather biotechnology) - VARNs (terraforming platforms), CRONs, Guardians (Corak, Sheltem and Dragon Pharaoh not only looks like living beings but also bleed from they wounds) and magic (see what can do these Guardians and if they can how powerful can be they masters?).
I think that name technomages fits for Ancients well.
I know this, thank you :)
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 30 Aug 2008, 15:34

XEL II wrote:"Experimental" doesn't mean one and only. Legend of the Unification directly says about thousands.
OK, I found it. But it is only legend, so can be not 100% true. ;)
XEL II wrote:They didn't speak quick or slowly. They talk like mechanism (they were probably biological, though) when you awaken them. Something like "my confidence is 100%". Besides, they are also called the Sluimbering Servants.
Could you quote their world? I haven't savegame before ending of WoX. "Something like" is insuficient to me.
XEL II wrote:I know this, thank you :)
Always to your favors. ;)
But you posts like you didn't know that.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 30 Aug 2008, 15:39

Avonu wrote:Could you quote their world? I haven't savegame before ending of WoX. "Something like" is insuficient to me.
"My confidence is 100%" is a direct quote from all four Sleepers.
Avonu wrote:OK, I found it. But it is only legend, so can be not 100% true. ;)
Very unlikely, since it's true in all other aspects. But who knows :D

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 30 Aug 2008, 15:44

Avonu wrote:Could you quote their world? I haven't savegame before ending of WoX. "Something like" is insuficient to me.
Sleeper wrote:"I am awake and my confidence is at 100%. Grunfeld field generator is active and reports 100% confidence."

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 31 Aug 2008, 18:51

Thanks
OK, now I am certain what these sleepers are.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 31 Aug 2008, 18:58

Does it mean you agree with me or not? :)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 31 Aug 2008, 19:08

Yes and not. ;P
They are not natural inhibitants of elemental planes and they are servants of Ancients. But still I don't think that word "robot" fit them well (althrough they are some kind of mechanism).

Anyway - if there were more Nascelle like XEEN, did you think these four sleepers were wake up each time when Xeen-kind nascelle goes through Unification?
Or maybe there were more sleepers?

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 31 Aug 2008, 19:11

Avonu wrote:Yes and not. ;P
Anyway - if there were more Nascelle like XEEN, did you think these four sleepers were wake up each time when Xeen-kind nascelle goes through Unification?
Or maybe there were more sleepers?
Probably more. Besides, other Ancient-created seem to be not like XEEN. Their Unification is a different experiment. But if there were more worlds like XEEN (which were to be transformed from two-sided platform into a planet) they could have their own Sleepers.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 01 Sep 2008, 12:22

Might and Magic Book 1, The Dreamwright wrote:the ancient folk who had ferried humankind here, by whatever seed or vessel, from our distant home. The Wire connected us with that home, and leashed us to it, an intangible conduit of incredible power that nourished and dominated us.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 01 Sep 2008, 17:47

And?
I could mean line of communication... ;P

And how canonical* are MM books anyway?
Afterall they are forgotten part of MM franchice.

*Star Trek books (however I never read anyone ;) ) are general example that some stories even publisher by developer are not canonical.
Same with Star Wars EU, when lore from older books is retcon in new books.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 01 Sep 2008, 18:25

Avonu wrote:And?
I could mean line of communication... ;P
Yes. And we know (from Melians) that the Web of Worlds is network of shipping and communications. Wire can well be one of these "communications".
Avonu wrote:And how canonical* are MM books anyway?
Afterall they are forgotten part of MM franchice.

*Star Trek books (however I never read anyone ;) ) are general example that some stories even publisher by developer are not canonical.
Same with Star Wars EU, when lore from older books is retcon in new books.
Geary Gravel worked closely with NWC. When he wrote his book M&M6 was in early stages of development. Initially, it was even planned that the Wheel world will be the setting for M&M6. But JVC and his team eventually decided to properly connect HoMM1-2 to M&M universe with some backstory, thus creating the world of Enroth, and made Enroth the setting for M&M6 and later games.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 05 Sep 2008, 19:42

Avonu wrote:Now, I try summary some dates from MM1-5:

0813.117 - Sheltem is disconected by two Ancients agents (Corak and Orango Seventeen) from Terra Wire and taken away from planet to repairs.

0943.15 and 0943.25 - Sheltem imprisoned both agents in brig statis cells.

STARPHASE 5281.6 (VARN 4 time?*) - Sheltem flee VARN 4 (plus/minus few hours)
OK, I read some info about star dates in Star Treak and as I suspect ST:TOS and next ST serials have different star dates - so if MM based on ST dating, then dates from MM1 and from MM5 are from different calendars.

In case of VARN 4 one starphase should be equal to ca. 11 hours.
In case of Guardians' logs 1000 starphases should be equal one Earth year, so 1 sp should be equal ca. 9 hours.

In that case time which passed between Sheltem taken and his escape to VARN 4 is equal to ca. 49 days.

But there are two catches:
1. In MM1-5 one year is equals to 100 days, not 365 Earth days.
2. CRON and VARNs took few years before arriving to Minos System (Terra).

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 06 Sep 2008, 13:57

Avonu wrote:1. In MM1-5 one year is equals to 100 days, not 365 Earth days.
This seems to be through game mechanics, since there was no month system in M&M1-5. It appeared in M&M6. Besides, there was no year/day sytem in M&M1.

Noneofyourbusiness
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Ancestors = Ancients - ?

Unread postby Noneofyourbusiness » Today, 00:55

Demilich wrote: 23 Mar 2008, 15:25 1. Just overpowered barbarians of anciant times, who ascended after death and now watch over their people
Going by Jennifer Bullard's interview, it's this one.

Q: Gods and Ancients - How are Ancestors and Ancients related?

A: Ancestors were the biological start of the current crop of heroes. Ancients often you were other powers who dabbled in the lives of mortals.

Q: We all remember the Ancestors from Heroes Chronicles as super-natural beings. This was new to the Might & Magic games, that's generally we met no other god-like creatures. Many timess religions and "gods" in M&M were later revealed to be connected with the Ancients - the futuristic advanced race that "seeded" the worlds many centuries ago.
So were the Ancestors just god-like these god-likes or they are somehow connected to the Ancients and their Guardians from the main M&M storyline? They exist in the Might and Magic universe before Heroes Chronicles were written or are a new element (and so - that you were your author)? Were gods more than the Ancients or less How Much was Jon Van Caneghem in creating the storyline?

A: Think of the Ancestors as super powerful humans who have become legends to their descendants. Many people can view their ancestors as god-like, having done something really heroic. Those are what the Ancestors were - people who thought above and beyond extraordinary skill and talent to great things. Never had been written in the Might & Magic Universe before the Heroes Chronicles. "Gods" were more powerful than the Ancients. Jon Van Caneghem was not in the Heroes Chronicles series - In fact I a did a majority of the work.

Noneofyourbusiness
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re:

Unread postby Noneofyourbusiness » Today, 02:53

XEL II wrote: 26 Aug 2008, 19:59 \- "Wire" is pretty much the synonym to "Web" (in terms of connecting something);
As a native English speaker, I have to say no, it's not.

Return to “Might and Magic”