[Storyline]The Ancients

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Ribannah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ribannah » 20 Jan 2008, 10:35

Meandor wrote:8| anything else was approved?
Certainly. Tim is MMTribute's advisor.

Ribannah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ribannah » 20 Jan 2008, 10:51

Second, while Mist is north of New Sorpigal, there is a great deal of territory north of Mist that isn’t snowy; Silver Cove and the Eel Infested Waters, for starters. So being north of an island east of Mist does not by any means even guarantee a high probability of a cold climate.
Excellent, now put Enroth in the southern hemisphere and see if it fits.
Last edited by Ribannah on 20 Jan 2008, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 20 Jan 2008, 12:27

Kareeah Indaga wrote:
Ribannah wrote:The name COLONY was approved of by Tim Lang (NWC) in 2003.
Link please.
Second that
As for the location of Karigor, note that with Jadame north of Regna, if Regna were north of New Sorpigal, then Jadame would be snow-covered instead of subtropical.
Second, while Mist is north of New Sorpigal, there is a great deal of territory north of Mist that isn’t snowy; Silver Cove and the Eel Infested Waters, for starters. So being north of an island east of Mist does not by any means even guarantee a high probability of a cold climate.

Excellent, now put Enroth in the southern hemisphere and see if it fits.
It will be difficult, because Enroth is on north hemisphere: ;)

BTW - did you (both) see on this picture that Silver Cove (and Sweet Water) is farer from north pole than Frozen Highlands?
Ribbanah wrote:As for the location of Karigor, note that with Jadame north of Regna, if Regna were north of New Sorpigal, then Jadame would be snow-covered instead of subtropical.
Well, I don't remember that pine trees (as we can see in Alvar and in Murmurwoods) are characteristic for subtropical climate.

And one question about general map of this planet: Why nearly all fan made maps locate Antagarich on southern hemisphere?
Shouldn't it be locate on north hemisphere?

H4 intro:
MM6: Clerk wrote:Rubber Stamps
Rubber for my stamps comes from southern Erathia's more tropical climate. There's a plant that grows there that saves clerks 'round the world a lot of repetitive writing!

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Jan 2008, 12:59

Kareeah Indaga wrote:It didn’t offend me, just inconvenienced me. I had the whole huge post written out only to refresh the page and poof! More writing. So of course I had to go back and edit the whole thing…but no worries.
I didn't know you already had a reply ready so quickly - indeed I wasn't aware you'd even seen the first three-word response at all ("Where's your fanfiction?" - probably a bit rude-sounding, which is why I expanded it). Will remember this in future. :)
Kareeah Indaga wrote:Not at all! Here you go:

Fic contest entries by Mytical, winterfate, and me.

One of mine here.

Another one here, with Justice’s.

And while searching for these, I found Justice’s long-lost fanfiction topic here.
O_O I’m sorry Justice! I didn’t see it!
Thank you very very much, those are good reads :)

You see I look at those and I say "hey, these make sense - why not?" instead of "no, no, NWC had nothing to do with this so they're not canon". Well, except maybe that one with Crag Lack and Magnuse :D
Kareeah Indaga wrote:Melian? Who said anything about him? (The voice that greets you is masculine, though I suppose being a computer Melian’s voice could change genders, pitches, and languages with abandon. So I refer to him as a he as I don’t care to bother with the he/she definition right now. So instead I write out this long sentence. The irony is not lost on me.)
Melian's another character who says "world of Enroth". I was just covering all avenues like you suggested.
Kareeah Indaga wrote:I’m not sure I’m understanding you. There is absolutely nothing preventing multiple islands being east of Mist as well as being considered part of Regna. (“Empire of Endless Ocean” and all that.) And, as Queen Catherine and King Roland were enroute from Antagarich to Enroth when they came to visit in MM8, that rather strongly suggests that the Regna of MM8 is just as much between the two as the Regna in Foolhardy Waywardness.
I'm just pointing out that you're presuming all those references above specify the Regna Island from MM8, which they don't. They never say "the Regna Island south of Jadame, west of Dagger Wound", just some of the countless islands as part of the kingdom of Regna.
Kareeah Indaga wrote:(And as a side note, it is my understanding that Harecksburg is the settlement on the central island, not the central island itself; note that it’s marked with the slightly smaller font—the same way the village of Blood Drop is, and the city of Twilight in the region of Shadowspire, and the city of Rust in the Ironsand Desert. )
Both "islands" make up Regna Island as a whole, from my understanding.
Ribannah wrote:The name COLONY was approved of by Tim Lang (NWC) in 2003.
Ribannah wrote:Certainly. Tim is MMTribute's advisor.
Check and mate (well, once we get a link / other proof).

As for all this climate business - does that really have any great bearing on things? Bracada is snowy, and it's at the south of Antagarich, but Vori is also frozen over despite being at its very north. Zuh?

Btw - Hey Avonu, how about sending that Enroth stuff along? I'd love to complete the timeline ;)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 20 Jan 2008, 13:15

Corlagon wrote:Btw - Hey Avonu, how about sending that Enroth stuff along? I'd love to complete the timeline ;)
Check your PM - there are still missing some parts (like Timber Wars) but I'm sure you can find it on Celestial Heavens.
BTW - there are some things to correct.

Ribannah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ribannah » 20 Jan 2008, 13:15

I can't recognize anything on these images. But, Antagarich is indeed in the northern hemiphere. The southern part of Bracada (not played on in HoMM3) is a desert; the northern part (not played on in MM7) is in the mountains, hence the snow.

A link won't help you since you don't have access to the developer forums.
Last edited by Ribannah on 20 Jan 2008, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 20 Jan 2008, 13:20

But you can copy his words/post here?
Of course without something important for MMT Project?

Or maybe give him this topic link and he can say HERE something important. ;)
Like: if planet name was Colony, them why in MM8 it had been named Enroth?

Ribannah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ribannah » 20 Jan 2008, 13:30

"Sounds fine to me. That's right along the line with what MM's always done.

If planet name was Colony, them why in MM8 it had been named Enroth?
Really? Who did that?
And when? Note that MM8 plays 89 years later than MMTribute, and in that timeframe the Ironfists established their rule.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Jan 2008, 14:21

Ribannah wrote:Really? Who did that?
Xanthor wrote:And madness it is! For destroying Enroth would create a mighty planar unbalance which would certainly victimize their own planes. They might even conceivably be themselves destroyed in the cataclysm. At the very least, they risk changing the nature of their own planes. I cannot see how such change could possibly be for the better!
Xanthor wrote:More and more evidence points to the conclusion that Enroth is not the only place in this universe where there is life.
Ekelbreth Sumanunala wrote:The world of Enroth has fallen out of balance with the rest of the cosmos...
Ekelbreth Sumanunala wrote:...all shall fall to naught as the gates of chaos are opened unto Enroth.
Ekelbreth Sumanunala wrote:...Will this time around be different from the last, or will all of Enroth simply be recycled in another incarnation of the prophetic wheel?
Of course I agree fully with calling it Colony and have done so for a while now.
Ribannah wrote:The southern part of Bracada (not played on in HoMM3) is a desert; the northern part (not played on in MM7) is in the mountains, hence the snow.

That would make sense, especially because the Empire of Bracaduun was mostly in deserts / pre-Erathian land. They retreated south after Tarnum whupped them :)

A small question about MM Tribute's lore - you are including kings like Uri Hosanna and Taledon V in a time 80 or so years before MM6, and yet:
MM6 wrote:Cavalry officer's chain mail from the reign of Taledon V of Karigor, Divine High Priest and High Holy Conduit of the Church of the Sun, circa 870 A.S.
Either this info is wrong, or Taledon V will be rougly 130+ years old in MM Tribute. Correct?

EDIT: D'oh! I just rechecked and it is in fact Taledon X who will be appearing. :devious:
Last edited by Corlagon on 20 Jan 2008, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

Ribannah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ribannah » 20 Jan 2008, 14:23

Thanks.

In MMTribute we have the reign of Taledon X, not Taledon V. :)

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Jan 2008, 14:24

Yeah, just realised that. Sorry, how idiotic of me :-D

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 20 Jan 2008, 14:43

Corlagon wrote:Cool. On that subject, since you tied in The Dreamwright and The Shadowsmith with LotA, is this "interpretation" of Heroes IV set before or after the books? I'm asking because the Arc, the Bright Star, the Wheel, A(u)ldemar and the Staff of Blue Light are all referenced, but the only hint about their timeframe is:
the Ancients received the help of a Planeswalker to organize a counterattack. They managed to lure the main Kreegan forces inside the first city of the dwarves, making them believe this was where the portal was standing. When the Kreegans realized the city was in fact deserted, it was too late : the Planeswalker moved the whole place out of phase, successfully trapping the Kreegans' greatest warriors in an astral plane.
I'm tempted to believe that this "Planeswalker" is Hitch, now the new Dreamwright... :)
So here is how it plays out in my somewhat-deranged head :) (for what it's worth...) :

I liked the books so much I put many references to them in LotA and had fun connect them to the overall MM storyline, but Axeoth is not the world where the books take place. The Wheel and Aldemar on Axeoth were in Heroes 4, and I assumed they were nods to Gravel's books and just that.

The Staff of Blue Light is a generic name for the key used by the Guardians to access the Wire, there is one on every world (just like the Control Cubes and so on.) In my mind it is the same item used in the end of World of Xeen to reunite the two sides.

- Arc and Bright Star were once part of the Ancient galactic empire.
- During the Great War, Bright Star fell to Kreegan fleet (leaded my the commander soon to be known as Malustar).
- On Axeoth, part of the Kreegan Vanguard is trapped into the Tomb of Thousand Terrors. The Planeswalker sent to do the trick is actually Escaton :p (not a spoiler, since it won't play any role in the rest of LotA) This leads to the Ancients' policy to not let this happen again on any world (-> MM8)
- The decisive battle takes place in the orbit of one of the Ancients main worlds, the Arc (or maybe, the A.R.C., Astrophysical Research Colony ? :D ) The Kreegans are finally crushed but the losses on the Ancients' side are enormous.
- Meanwhile, the rest of the Vanguard manages to reach a Nexus and cause the Silence, so all in all the victory is bitter for the Ancients.
- Some time thereafter, Arc and Bright Star (who suffered less from the Silence, or were more advanced than other worlds, or both) rebuilds themselves into independant nations and starts looking for the Ancients. Arc and Bright Star scouts arrive on Hitch's world and the events of DW and SS unfold.

This is, once again, pure fan-fiction. ;)

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Jan 2008, 15:03

Wow, what a great spin on things :) That's going straight into the MM story bible I'm working on, slowly but surely :D

So does LotA happen directly after Shadowsmith, galactic-time-wise?

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 20 Jan 2008, 15:13

Corlagon wrote:Wow, what a great spin on things :) That's going straight into the MM story bible I'm working on, slowly but surely :D

So does LotA happen directly after Shadowsmith, galactic-time-wise?
For me Shadowsmith takes place roughly in the same time as MM4-5 (so just before MM7).

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 20 Jan 2008, 16:22

I have a bad memory for names. Who where Xanthor and Ekelbreth Sumanunala again? Xanthor was a mage of Catherine IIRC, no?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Jan 2008, 16:35

Xanthor was a scholar from Enroth who served as a professor in Erathia's capital, Steadwick, and helped out the Royal Erathian Military Command during the Restoration Wars. He also travelled with Catherine and Roland to Jadame, where he made the Conflux Key to open Escaton's Crystal. He's Agar's nephew (I have a canonical source for all of this).

The Ekelbreth Sumanunala are the ancient Dark Elf scriptures about the Destroyer's coming. They are in the manual, and are also read out by Bastian Loudrin in a cutscene after you bring Overdune Snapfinger to him from Rust in MM8. ;)

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 20 Jan 2008, 16:46

So there is no reason why they should know true name of the planet?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 20 Jan 2008, 16:51

Should there be? :)

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 20 Jan 2008, 22:40

Avonu wrote:
And one question about general map of this planet: Why nearly all fan made maps locate Antagarich on southern hemisphere?
Shouldn't it be locate on north hemisphere?
Ooo, ooo! :oex: I can answer this!
‘The Legacy’ courtesy of Nethergods wrote:

It was a warm, southern-hemisphere spring day. A gentle breeze blew through the wide-open windows of the Palace, finally having the chance to clear out the stale air that had been trapped inside all winter. True, this winter had been warmer than most, bringing only dismal, dreary rain on days that should have ended with a blanket of angelic, powdery snow covering the palace grounds, but today just seemed… fresh. Like a new beginning.

[…]
‘Geography’ courtesy of Nethergods wrote:
Let's start with some geography. Again, this is not my specialty, but I will give it a go. From the Erathian coast, a safe journey to Castle Ironfist in Enroth lasts approximately eight weeks. The travel time can be cut to six weeks, but the more direct route takes you dangerously close to the southern shores of Regna, where pirates lurk along the shipping lanes, disrupting most traffic. Regna lies to the northwest of Erathia, and Enroth to the west of Regna.

[…]
Corlagon wrote: As for all this climate business - does that really have any great bearing on things? Bracada is snowy, and it's at the south of Antagarich, but Vori is also frozen over despite being at its very north. Zuh?
Oh! Oh! I can answer this too! :D
Tarnum, Sword of Frost wrote:
My own research has turned up some interesting information about the City of Volee where the Sword of Frost is supposed to be hidden. Volee was the first city of the Vori Elves, but it disappeared more than a thousand years ago shortly after the Sword of Frost was created.

Some speculate that the Sword of Frost itself is responsible for the creation of the glaciers that buried the ancient city. If this weapon is capable of such power, I'm not surprised that it has the power to destroy the world as well.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 21 Jan 2008, 22:22

Corlagon wrote:Should there be? :)
I don`t know. Avonu kinda stated that COLONY being a name would contradict what was stated in MM8. But because those characters couldn`t know true name of a planet then there is no contradiction. I only wanted to clear this out for myself, or anyone else if they were confused :)

Return to “Might and Magic”