MM7: Knight vs Monk

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Monk, Definately

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 03 Oct 2007, 07:56

Sure the knight is physically stronger at first but the monk is more usefull from the beginning till the end. Unlike the knight the monk has access to one of the most usefull skills in the whole game (disarm trap.) The monk can even reach master in this skill if they turn evil. knight is limited in both good and evil modes. :hoo:
PS: Knight can do more damage by specializing in spears rather than swords. This is still no match to monks' unarmed and staff combination.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Re: Monk, Definately

Unread postby Suleman » 03 Oct 2007, 16:13

CoffeeGnome wrote:Sure the knight is physically stronger at first but the monk is more usefull from the beginning till the end. Unlike the knight the monk has access to one of the most usefull skills in the whole game (disarm trap.) The monk can even reach master in this skill if they turn evil. knight is limited in both good and evil modes. :hoo:
PS: Knight can do more damage by specializing in spears rather than swords. This is still no match to monks' unarmed and staff combination.
You gotta remember that +disarm trap items are not uncommon. It's not too hard to beat the game with only expert disarm trap.
Staff + Unarmed has been proven to do less damage than spears + swords.
Monks cannot wear armor, which hurts their armor class. Greatly.
Their skill in Self Magic is useless. When they get it, the spells are already insufficient.
They are forced to play half-powered through most of the game, because they cannot benefit from dodge, unarmed and such till the later levels.

All in all, monks are pretty bad. :(
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Re: Monk, Definately

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 03 Oct 2007, 16:45

CoffeeGnome wrote:Sure the knight is physically stronger at first but the monk is more usefull from the beginning till the end.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. Did you even bother to read my first reply in the first page? GM ARMSMASTER make the Knight better late game, and Weapon Enchantments make the Knight superior for most of the game. The combination of Armsmaster damage bonus, weapon base damage, plus skill points invested in Spear expert make the Knight stronger than a monk using Unarmed. How many times did you play MM7 anyway?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 15 Dec 2007, 21:22

Knight does a lot more overall damage with big armsmaster skill. BTW, he also does so wearing a blaster. To wear blaster is the way to beat the knight mentioned by UndeadHalfOrc in the beginning :) The thing with armsmaster is that besides damage and attack it also increases combat speed very much.
As for Disarm Traps skill, a monk is out of top again. Thief does this better than monk and yes, he IS a great fighter due to his fast recovery.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”