Warhammer of Might and Magic

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 08 Aug 2007, 12:36

okrane wrote:Man those Nival sure are unoriginal... I mean, geez... it's hard to think, I know, but come on... have some decency...
As long as they don't get sued for copyright (sp?) infringement then what's the problem?

I don't care too much [just a little] that the designs are ripped-off as long as the end result is nice and nobody gets sued :)

Of course now if they'd have said that the dragon that the Dungeon faction worshipped was Khorne / Slanesh / etc. then that may be going too far :)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Aug 2007, 20:33

Yeah, who cares they just ignored 4 previous games for WH?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 09 Aug 2007, 01:27

ThunderTitan wrote:Yeah, who cares they just ignored 4 previous games for WH?
I like the WH-looking artwork just fine. There is a nice cartoony feel that captures a lot of the good-old H2 mood. I admit that some things are bogus but overall I'm OK with the H5 art.

Now if you're not talking about art but more about story-line, setting, HoMM history, etc. then I agree I don't really like abandoning everything that came before ....

vulnevia
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby vulnevia » 09 Aug 2007, 08:39

Alamar wrote: As long as they don't get sued for copyright (sp?) infringement then what's the problem?
I think it's really low (lower than glocalnet ;) ) to totaly copy the figures from WH, it just shows they can't do anything on their own. "Nice figures, we'll take 'em!"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Aug 2007, 10:49

Alamar wrote: I like the WH-looking artwork just fine. There is a nice cartoony feel that captures a lot of the good-old H2 mood.
:vomit:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 09 Aug 2007, 14:15

Not only that, but this shows how much work they've put into the game.
No wonder the game is unimaginative, unoriginal and full of clichés, they haven't spent a moment brainstorming into creating something new.

They've just copy-pasted some characters from here, some models from there, and voila a brand new game, which suckers (a.k.a gamers/heroes fans) will buy, because, hey, it's Heroes 5.

And we've seen this all along the game's development: 14515234 dragons in the game, each one with fire breath as level 7 unit, unoriginal skills and redundant ones, bugs, typos and grammar errors all over the place. This can only mean one thing: SLOPPY.

They've made a fool out of the whole community by selling a low quality, unfinished, unpolished, unoriginal, ripped-off joke of a game at a steep price. Not to mention they keep on making expansions to increase their profit and continue to make a mockery out of us suckers... expansion where they reiterate the same creatures and models and story lines(alternatives = more copy pasting, change a little, consider it brand new, Biara will keep on disguising in other people in order to make the plot of all expansions work, and so on...)

Frankly, I am glad that piracy exists. And people should start thinking using it more... maybe they will run out of business...

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 09 Aug 2007, 15:18

I don not forget how it started nor can it be overlooked...Somehow I'm convinced that I will like the new addon though and based on what I have seen it is not cheap. Of course we wait to see how much thought they have given on the balance if at all...
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 09 Aug 2007, 15:29

okrane wrote: expansion where they reiterate the same creatures and models and story lines(alternatives = more copy pasting, change a little, consider
Please take a look at the green red and black dragons from heroes 2.

____

And what is warhammer based on? Where did they get graphical inspiration?

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Aug 2007, 15:42

okrane wrote: 14515234 dragons in the game, each one with fire breath as level 7 unit,
I count 4, each with a set up upgrades:

green/emerald dragons (sylvan)
shadow/black dragons (dungeons)
bone/spectral dragons (necro)
fire/Magma dragons (dwarf)

Only two sets of these have fire breath. The fire/magma dragons don't furthermore even look like traditional dragons.

For comparison, H4 also had 4 dragons (faeri, black, bone, mega; 5 if you count dragon golem; no upgrades in H4) and H3 had 3 dragons with upgrades and then 4 additional neutral types. So if you cite the number of dragons as a criteria for originality, then you must conclude that H3 and H4 were also unoriginal.
unoriginal skills and redundant ones,
Actually though H5 does some things wrong, the skill system is not one of them. IMO H5 has a better skill system than any of HoMM before it.
bugs,
I've encountered 2. Not unreasonable.
typos and grammar errors all over the place
Here I'll agree, but typos and grammar issues are nothing to me if the game is enjoyable, which it is.
This can only mean one thing: SLOPPY.
How then would you characterize H4?
They've made a fool out of the whole community by selling a low quality, unfinished, unpolished, unoriginal, ripped-off joke of a game at a steep price. Not to mention they keep on making expansions to increase their profit and continue to make a mockery out of us suckers...
They've not made a fool of me. I have quite enjoyed H5, especially the expansion, and consider it well worth the price I've paid. 3DO made a fool of me by selling me two unfinished games and then going bankrupt without fixing them. Where's your criticism of that? If the best you can up with as criticism is "they had too many dragons with fire breath" then I consider that pretty good praise. I suppose there's no accounting for taste, but I really just don't understand the level of hate - beyond mere dislike - many people have for H5, people who usually love H4, a game which was in many senses unfinished and broken, unconditionally. You speak as if you feel it is among the worst games ever made, and I just don't see what exactly is coloring such an opinion. I certainly see how there may be things you don't like, but it's not the unmitigated disaster some of you make it out to be.
Frankly, I am glad that piracy exists.
An unwarranted statement, no matter how you feel about the game. Piracy really ends up only hurting consumers more than companies. The last thing I want to see is MORE of it.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 09 Aug 2007, 16:22

okrane wrote: Frankly, I am glad that piracy exists. And people should start thinking using it more... maybe they will run out of business...
Wow. Just wow. Just because you dislike a company you wish for them to be targeted by illegal acitivity? You wish for the employees who work hard on games to lose their jobs, investors to lose their investments, and local governments to lose tax revenue, just so you don't have to pay for games you feel aren't worth the money? Wow.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 09 Aug 2007, 17:18

okrane wrote:They've made a fool out of the whole community by selling a low quality, unfinished, unpolished, unoriginal, ripped-off joke of a game at a steep price.
Really I don't have tooooo many problems with the game in its 1.5 status:

1. AI could use a TON of work.
2. Map editor should have a "newb" mode to make it more user friendly
3. Official documentation is almost non-existant. [Only fan made is worthwhile]
4. Some skills & design decisions make it hard to balance the factions on a wide variety of map types, sizes, and difficulties.

The thing is though we can't blame either UBI or Nival for these problems. We fans are rushing to buy everything and as long as they have a consumer to sell to there's no short-term economic reason to do better.

Basically, as I've said before, we have gotten the game that we deserve in every aspect ....

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 09 Aug 2007, 17:18

Heroes 4 had lots of problems, that's not the issue here.

About the Dragons: they were all very much different in heroes 4. In heroes 5 there are 4 dragons from a total of 7 level 7 units, three of them with "Breath type attacks" (fire breath, acid breath - same sh!t), and the forth completely lame.

I can continue with the arguments if that's what you want:

- How about the poor AI: I used to love Heroes 3 Single Player Maps. Heroes 5 simply stinks... and I won't go into that any further.
- Silly storyline. The plot is so stupid even 12 year olds have problems digesting it... I've seen really bad movies better than this...
- Campaigns are so bugged that a large percentage of players need to ask questions on forums or ask for saves that help them continue.
- Low quality maintenance: very rare patches that introduce new bugs than solving others.
- Huge system requirements for something that has not such awesome graphics, slowdowns, low framerate.
- User Interface poorly designed. Hard to control all the aspects of the game(knowing about dark energy, wait button, saving loading in battles etc)
-Balance Issues(Academy and Necro anyone?)

and now we find:

- unoriginal content...

So what is good? The fact that it's called Heroes? and some people play it for the sake of the series? ...

About the piracy... well, I got a little carried away, but still, buying Heroes 5 is just too expensive for what it brings... it's an unfinished product, even now after 2 expansions..

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Aug 2007, 17:41

okrane wrote:Heroes 4 had lots of problems, that's not the issue here.
THe quality of H3 and H4 are relevant.
- How about the poor AI: I used to love Heroes 3 Single Player Maps. Heroes 5 simply stinks... and I won't go into that any further.
Adventure AI is sub-par, I'll agree. Battle-AI is pretty good. However in properly scripted maps the AI puts up a good fight.
- Silly storyline. The plot is so stupid even 12 year olds have problems digesting it... I've seen really bad movies better than this...
Meh the stories in all the HoMM have been poor. The story itself is better in H5 IMO than in earlier games. The presentation in the oiriginal H5 was what made it bad - but the presentation seems much better in the xp.
- Campaigns are so bugged that a large percentage of players need to ask questions on forums or ask for saves that help them continue.
I have played all the campaigns and only encountered 1 bug that led me to seek advice.
- Huge system requirements for something that has not such awesome graphics, slowdowns, low framerate.
No comment. My computer exceeds the sys req.
- User Interface poorly designed. Hard to control all the aspects of the game(knowing about dark energy, wait button, saving loading in battles etc)
I have no problem with interface.
-Balance Issues(Academy and Necro anyone?)
I can't really comment but I started a thread to learn more about it.
So what is good? The fact that it's called Heroes? and some people play it for the sake of the series? ...
I like the game regardless of the series. As I said, i understand why someone might not like it. But the level of vitriol to me seems like there's another agenda. The biggest problem I can see, the only one that really disappoints me, is the map editor. But I don't have much time to make maps anymore anyway, so I'm just happy to have an entertaining game.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 10 Aug 2007, 06:24

The vitriol, as you put it, was generated mostly by me realizing how much time I've lost playing single player maps in this game.
When I play a map - I play Hard and Heroic - the first month or so is fun(in real time one hour maybe), and let's say worthy of the Heroes name, even though you get less harassed / attacked by the AI than Heroes 3 for example. Afterwards, the attacks stop. The AI shuts down in its castles and takes 2-3 minute turns to do nothing. It takes me another 2 months (about 2 hours in real time), to clear the map, and move from town to town in order to capture them all and finish the map.

It's my fault really, because usually I'm having a hard time letting unfinished something I start.

Now I've made the math: 2 wasted hours per game - I mean wasted: all battles are slaughters, even in Heroic, and I just move my hero from a place to another - times 30 - 50 games (I never counted them), means a lot of wasted time.

Adding to that, the other reasons I evoked, it makes me pretty pissed off...

I have played other games even for a much longer period of time and I never felt that I was completely wasting my time. And Heroes 3 was one of them.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Aug 2007, 09:12

The story itself is better in H5 IMO than in earlier games.
:lolu: Pls, H3's war was way more realistic then Isabel's run around the countryside being retarded. The presentation just made it unbearable....

And now that that's said: GET BACK ON TOPIC DAMMIT!!!!!!!

There are plenty of other thread in which you can argue about this, it's not really new. So unless you have more WH pics take it somewhere else.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Aug 2007, 13:43

:lolu: Pls, H3's war was way more realistic then Isabel's run around the countryside being retarded. The presentation just made it unbearable....
H3's presentation wasn't much better, and that was exacerbated by the fact that the H3 campaign maps were BORING. I'm not saying that H5's story is going to win a pulitzer, but it's not any worse than most of what's out there.
And now that that's said: GET BACK ON TOPIC DAMMIT!!!!!!!
:tongue:

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 10 Aug 2007, 18:53

I'll hunt around for more warhammer pics & urls. I think that some of the human troops that have WH clones haven't been shown yet ...

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 11 Aug 2007, 01:24

Corribus wrote:The story itself is better in H5 IMO than in earlier games.
I would say that it`s on the same level as H1 at best. No seriously, it was like a bad fanfic from a guy who has played a bit too much of crappy japanese rpgs and had a room mate who played wh/wc3.
Omega_Destroyer wrote:You wish for the employees who work hard on games to lose their jobs
Who cares if they work hard or not, if they can`t do their job then they shouldn`t.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 11 Aug 2007, 02:21

They did do their job and they made a good game.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Aug 2007, 03:21

:up: I agree.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”