Heroes III complete crashes in WinXP

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
zohar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes III complete crashes in WinXP

Unread postby zohar » 17 Mar 2007, 13:30

Hi.

I know this question has been asked before but I looked in the forums and the solutions there didn't help me.

I installed HoMMIII Complete, didn't recognize my DirectX.

When I try starting it I get the "now loading" screen and then the "send error report to Microsoft" message appears.

I tried loading it in Win 95 compatible mode (and 98 and 2000), the only different is I didn't get the "send error report" message.

I installed the Shadow of Death patch (to ver 1.2) from this website, it still didn't work. In an old message I read that it may have something to do with GeForce settings - switching from "clone mode" to "single mode" or something like that. I've got a GeForce 6600. Can anyone tell me how to do that? I looked in my card's settings and didn't find anything very close to that.

Thanks for the help,
Zohar

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Mar 2007, 13:51

I do not recall that tip exactly, but desired setting should looks like that. With exception that you will switch to Standart(Dual View)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

zohar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zohar » 17 Mar 2007, 14:19

I have a GeForce 6600. That setting doesn't appear there... This is annoying. Maybe I'll e-mail nVidia and ask about the equivalent setting for the 6600...

Zohar

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Mar 2007, 14:54

Then maybe that looking in that direction will helps.

If you have two video outputs then you can set this mode.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Lord FubarII
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lord FubarII » 01 Apr 2007, 04:48

I'm having the same problem only with a twist. My H3 Complete worked just fine until I upgraded my processor to a x2 core.

Opps, I spoke too soon. I wanted to see what error messages I got and the game loaded. Yea! Mods and stuff here I come. Though I was informed that my game might run sluggish because I only have 2 GBs of the needed 32 MBs of memory.

Zoher, I wish I could offer you some advice on what to do as I have a GF 6600gt video card also. I didn't mess with my video settings. It's a long shot, but maybe MS Updates might help and/or installing the newest DirectX even if you have the newest.
XP sometimes acts like it has a mind of it's own. You could be one .dll short of a game install.
My other "fix all" besides rebooting is running anti-spyware programs.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. Best of luck finding your fix.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”