Another Review of Heroes of Might and Magic 5

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Another Review of Heroes V

Unread postby Cleanpea » 24 Nov 2006, 09:19

That H4 is "different game" has to do with gameplay mechanics and gameplay. The fundamentals are still the same. And as stated, newbie fans don't care to play the older games. So they won't ever know the difference. I will defend the reviewers opinion- But as a review it was average at least:)
Edited on Fri, Nov 24 2006, 02:20 by Cleanpea

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Another Review of Heroes V

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Nov 2006, 10:16

Cleanpea wrote:That H4 is "different game" has to do with gameplay mechanics and gameplay. The fundamentals are still the same. And as stated, newbie fans don't care to play the older games. So they won't ever know the difference. I will defend the reviewers opinion- But as a review it was average at least:)
Edited on Fri, Nov 24 2006, 02:20 by Cleanpea
Oh come on,the fundamentals of all games are the same:Win against your opponent.But you wont be comparing an RTS with a racing game,now would you?

Why not compare HV with WCIII?Wood elves and dark elves,knights and necromancers,demons invading,juke box,chubby units,shiney auras,nikolai=artas,etc.Those two are much more alike than HV and HIV.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Nov 2006, 11:33

Cleanpea wrote:That H4 is "different game" has to do with gameplay mechanics and gameplay.
Which basicaly means that we wanted it not to be a TBS or not be a HoMM game.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Demiurg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Demiurg » 26 Nov 2006, 08:27

DaemianLucifer wrote:Oh come on,the fundamentals of all games are the same:Win against your opponent.But you wont be comparing an RTS with a racing game,now would you?
I still think you're disingenuous. That's clearly not what the reviewer meant with fundamentally. He is quite explicit:

"For anyone who isn't familiar with the series, I'll offer a brief description that could easily be applied to any one of the games: Heroes of Might and Magic # is a turn-based strategy game in which the player controls one or more "Heroes" in a generic fantasy kingdom. In campaign mode the player is given a task they have to accomplish (generally 'kill all opponents'), and they're set free to wander the countryside, gathering resources and slaughtering random creatures so they can go back to their home base and build an army large enough to complete the objectives. All the while enemy 'heroes' are doing the exact same thing on the other side of the map, forcing the player to work quickly if they want to come out on top. The combat is similarly turn-based, with each player setting up his various forces on either side of a battlefield, then moving them into combat like chess pieces until one side has been wiped out."

So does this description fit with all games? Certainly not. In fact, it doesn't fit with any game outside the HOMM series. Does it fit with all HOMM games? Yep.

It's as if he is discussing the fundamental likeness between different types of apples while you're pretending that he compares apples to oranges.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Nov 2006, 09:18

Demiurg wrote: So does this description fit with all games? Certainly not. In fact, it doesn't fit with any game outside the HOMM series. Does it fit with all HOMM games? Yep.
Really?It doesnt fit,lets say,age of wonders?Disciples?Or some RTS like ROEII(although without the turn based combat comment)?And many more.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 26 Nov 2006, 09:37

This discussion is going besides itself. DL, you are not arguing against or for any of my arguments, you are discussing logic in itself. I have clearly stated what I was discussing. Not answering is unpolite of you:/

But we do agree on one thing: H4 IS a brilliantly different game.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 Nov 2006, 09:45

Cleanpea wrote:This discussion is going besides itself. DL, you are not arguing against or for any of my arguments, you are discussing logic in itself. I have clearly stated what I was discussing. Not answering is unpolite of you:/
I am arguing your points,sorry if it didnt seem like that.Saying that two games are the same because they have the same goal,or because they both have town developments,or such is wrong.All strategies have base development,but that doesnt make them the same.All strategies have units,but that doesnt make them the same.WCIII has heroes that gain levels and develop skills,but that doesnt make it same as heroes.

Cleanpea
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Cleanpea » 26 Nov 2006, 11:28

Yeah, I know that, but I never argued that it's the same game. The reviewer said that. I defended another statement

(the one that Demiurg quoted:"For anyone who isn't familiar with the series, I'll offer a brief description that could easily be applied to any one of the games: Heroes of Might and Magic # is a turn-based strategy game in which the player controls one or more "Heroes" in a generic fantasy kingdom. In campaign mode the player is given a task they have to accomplish (generally 'kill all opponents'), and they're set free to wander the countryside, gathering resources and slaughtering random creatures so they can go back to their home base and build an army large enough to complete the objectives. All the while enemy 'heroes' are doing the exact same thing on the other side of the map, forcing the player to work quickly if they want to come out on top. The combat is similarly turn-based, with each player setting up his various forces on either side of a battlefield, then moving them into combat like chess pieces until one side has been wiped out.").

But you know that as well, or now you do:) this is what I think he meant (or should have meant): "Is H3 the same game as H5? Absolutely! H4 IS different, but new fans won't ever know the difference, and that's why I write like this... Which makes this review silly, but with a few good points. "
Edited on Sun, Nov 26 2006, 04:30 by Cleanpea

Return to “News”