HOF Problems

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
GSte
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HOF Problems

Unread postby GSte » 19 Nov 2006, 02:11

When playing HOF in mutiplayer hotseat with my friend, admittedly on the largest random map size with underground, the AI is taking absolutely AGES...... about 5 minutes for three computer players.....! Does anyone know if this is normal(ie just due to the size of the map) or a genuine fault with the game? My system specs are:

Core 2 Duo E6600
2Gb PC6400 RAM Cas 4
XFX 7800GT Graphics Card
WD Raptor 150GB hard drive
ABit AW9D Motherboard with HD audio

Thanks for any help.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: HOF Problems

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 19 Nov 2006, 06:26

GSte wrote:When playing HOF in mutiplayer hotseat with my friend, admittedly on the largest random map size with underground, the AI is taking absolutely AGES...... about 5 minutes for three computer players.....! Does anyone know if this is normal(ie just due to the size of the map) or a genuine fault with the game? My system specs are:

Core 2 Duo E6600
2Gb PC6400 RAM Cas 4
XFX 7800GT Graphics Card
WD Raptor 150GB hard drive
ABit AW9D Motherboard with HD audio

Thanks for any help.
I haven't tried out the random map generator yet, I'm playing through the campaigns. But here are a couple of things to think about.

"To big for you maps" with lots of trees will slow the map down. So you may want to do a little editing of the random map or if there are settings for decorations adjust it for fewer decorations.

The AI will take a long time if it has the instant travel spell, so when you save the map go into the editor and disable the instant travel spell.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 19 Nov 2006, 16:35

I've played Large RMG maps on a much weaker system with no performance issues. It could be than on the largest size there are so many goodies scattered around that the computer players are actually doing more on their turns. (You would also have more trees waving their leaves, as GOW points out.)

If you see the problem early, then it is probably not Instant Travel. In my experience there are no monoliths, so it could not be that.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

GSte
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby GSte » 19 Nov 2006, 17:21

[quote="Caradoc"] It could be than on the largest size there are so many goodies scattered around that the computer players are actually doing more on their turns. (You would also have more trees waving their leaves, as GOW points out.)quote]

So having many trees would slow down the computer turns, even though the screen is now black when they move (so the trees aren't actually on the screen)?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”