I guess I need help from a coder...

Official forum of the Wake of Gods mod to Heroes of Might and Magic III.
NeXaR
Peasant
Peasant

I guess I need help from a coder...

Unread postby NeXaR » 21 Dec 2006, 16:31

Well, there is one last little thing I would ask in relation with the Heroes 3 Complete translation project (remember?). We're sticking things together by now, almost completed the final beta. But there is one thing that bothers us much.

As some may know, constructing sentences in spanish is different than in english. For example, in english you put adjetive prior to nouns, but in spanish we put nouns first. And in the most cases this can be modified because the original text says, for example, "is a level %d %s", where it could read "is a level 12 Barbarian", so in spanish it would say "es un %s de nivel %d" where it could read "es un Bárbaro de nivel 12"

But in a couple cases, the text reading order seems to be hardcoded, or we can't find where to change it. In the Border guards case, in english it reads, for example, "red border guard". The color is read from tentcolr.txt and the text "border guard" from objnames.txt, but there is no txt (or we can't find one) which links both, so I guess it's hardcoded. We need to switch the color and name order to read it "Guarda Fronterizo Rojo" instead of "Rojo Guarda Fronterizo"

Do anyone know if it is indeed harcoded?
If yes, I would really appreciate any help, I do not have any skills on hex editing or reverse engineering for modifyng the exe file.
If not, a point to the txt that links both would do the trick.

Thanks again, and I hope this is the last question I need to do about it. Oh, and sorry for my english, I hope my text is understandable enough.
Common sense is commonless of senses

beegee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby beegee » 22 Dec 2006, 19:36

There is much hardcoded in Heroes 3. Actually, I'm not sure. Yes, therefore you have to decompile the EXE-File first into assembly and then into c++. There are some tools out there, but not well programmed enough. In a few weeks I'll help one of these decompiling projects.

NeXaR
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby NeXaR » 24 Dec 2006, 15:45

I think we would have to live with this little error. Anyway, the original spanish RoE came with the same error (and many others we have repaired in our translation).
Common sense is commonless of senses

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 Dec 2006, 16:21

Sigh, coders are hard to be get. You know...
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: I guess I need help from a coder...

Unread postby GrayFace » 26 Dec 2006, 17:59

NeXaR wrote:And in the most cases this can be modified because the original text says, for example, "is a level %d %s", where it could read "is a level 12 Barbarian", so in spanish it would say "es un %s de nivel %d" where it could read "es un Bárbaro de nivel 12"
I'm surprised that it works. Have you tested it?
As for border guards' text, I'm sure the order is hard-coded. And it seems hard to change at first look.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

NeXaR
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby NeXaR » 26 Dec 2006, 18:35

It's only an example, but yes, it works. But in border's case there's no %s or %d to re-arrange.

Return to “Wake of Gods”