Always Look On the Bright Side...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Always Look On the Bright Side...

Unread postby Psychobabble » 24 May 2006, 05:09

I haven't been too deep into the forum discussions of the game, but my general impression is that there's a lot of vocal complaining from a few players and not too much said in praise of the game. So imagine my surprise when I got the game the other day and, gasp found it really fun! Sure, there's some basic design decisions which I really disagree with, like heroes in combat, dwelling/resource pile collection and weekly growth but in the end, this isn't my game and I can deal with it. I'm currently on the 5th map of the inferno campaign, playing on hard difficulty, and I'm really enjoying myself. Even the cleched writing, which was so jarring in the demo, isn't so bad in the context of the full campaigns.

Anyway, this is just a thread for people to say what they like about the game. And no pseudo-compliments like "the pretty pictures distract me from the crushingly poor gameplay" because the complainers (you know who you are!) have made themselves heard abundantly clearly in other threads.

So a top 3 from me:

Skill system - Far and away what I like about this game best is the complex and quite different skill system. At every level up I'm confronted with difficult decisions about which direction to take my hero in, and these decisions have a big effect on how that hero plays. The unique abilities which are supported by unique town buildings are also great.

Challenge - I have a confession - the AI beat me on a campaign map! I know, it's a disgrace, but it was the one where you had to race to get the gryphon heart and I was a couple of days too slow. The next time I went faster but I was only just strong enough to kill the final hero and so the other guy beat me. This still wins the map technically, but I don't want no technical victory so I'm gonna have to re-play the map to get the balance between speed and army devlopment just right. There's some difficult strategic decisions to be made :).

Factions - I definitely like how each faction has a very unique feel (if not a unique set of spells), keeping up the Heroes IV town philosophy and not the 'more is better' of the previous on in the series. Everything from creature abilities, supporting skills and terrain seems very different about each of the factions which is good. This is something I'm sure to appreciate more as I play through the rest of the campaigns.

If you've played the full game, feel free to add your favourite bits. You don't need to be as long winded as me either :).

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 May 2006, 06:04

YAY!!!

So far (I'm only on map 3 of the inferno campaign), I'm finding the game very enjoyable

i really like the skill/ability system, i do like the 3d graphics, and so far at least, i really like the creatures themselves, they all offer something and damn it, they're fun to mess around with

the ai is certainly not as bad as has been made out

so, the game works for me

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 May 2006, 07:51

I like the new combat, with the initiative bar. It just adds to the tactics to be able to have units that acts more often than others.

The skill system is nice as well, as it balances between the too simple approach of H3 (at least it feels too simple today, even if it didn't when I started with H3) and the too consuming H4 one (having to get 20 levels in a skill to be "done" with it and only being able to realistically develop two skills a hero didn't quite fit me). It also allows things as scouting to be in without being too weak.

The town point system is a refreshing change as well, which keeps much of the ealier workings while still changing it around.

So, in conclusion, my favorite parts of the game are those where Nival and Ubi has created original design. I hope they can continue to do this with other areas of the game as well.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

HMMFan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

wow...thank goodness

Unread postby HMMFan » 24 May 2006, 09:17

Quite honestly, I was beginning to skim the CH forums with some degree of bemusement as the same people bagged on each and every aspect of the game. Thanks for the good post which contains positive impressions concerning objective elements of the fame.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 24 May 2006, 09:20

Music - definately very good.

Combat - initiative system innovational

Town Points - yes! It makes sense!

Skills - clever and diverse.

Those are the main points really, probably in that order too.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 24 May 2006, 09:25

Altough I played only the demo as for now (I still have to wait a long time for the release in my country) I must say I really like the 3D town views. When I played HIII I've always dreamed of a 3D town in which you can even travel through the streets. And I think towns in HV are very close to it...

Also the musical scores (which are fantastic) make them quite epic :D
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 24 May 2006, 09:40

I definitely love this game - I'm still unsure whether it beats Heroes III yet but a vast improvement on IV. Reasons why:

- The change to 3D is welcome and done well. Obviously Nival worked further on the engine that they used in the Etherlords series and brough it up to date in this game.

- The unit design is as good as the previous series, and its nice to see some of my favourite units now in 3D like the undead or various dungeon creatures. I have to say I particularly like the Stone Golem / Elemental statue as being quirky and unique. And the dark touch to the ghosts is nice as well.

- The music is the best of the series so far. Its a shame the time of heroes song was changed to another language from English, but I still have the beta song around so I can swap them over, and this is a note of personal taste and nothing against that track itself.

- I like the darker storyline. Not every universe is full of fluffyness and light or pure cartoony effects.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 24 May 2006, 10:00

I like the game very much. It has minor flaws, but it is great. I especially like :

- The initiative system
- The skill system
- The town screens
- The music : Rob King and Paul Roamero did it again !
- Some creatures are really beautiful IMO : dragons, angels, hydras, djinns and rakshasas just to name a few.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 May 2006, 10:52

..Of Life. Monty Python rocks.

I agree with you on the Skill System with Unique Faction Skills. And the Music is pretty atmosferic.

Dublex wrote: - I like the darker storyline. Not every universe is full of fluffyness and light or pure cartoony effects.
Oh, for crying out loud. Doesn't anyone remember the story in H3: RoE or the Half-Dead/A Pirates Daughter campaigns from H4?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 May 2006, 12:21

I like the initiative bar.Very inovative and nicely done.Town level is also a nice addition,as well as town description(it is nice to have unique towns as well as unique heroes).I like the return of heroes speciall.Skill/ability system is very nice.And Im in love with gryphins battle dive.And the music is very nice,a heroes music indeed.
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 24 May 2006, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

Kaboth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaboth » 24 May 2006, 12:55

I've only played the demo and I'm already impressed. There is definately plenty to like in Heroes V.

I love all the creatures, the look awesome, animate fantastically and all have unique abilities and uses.

All the factions have a clearer, more unique identity now with their individual strengths.

The music is great. I'm yet to hear it all though.

The initiative bar helps a lot. Town building is more interesting than ever before. The skills system is really fun and seems reasonably balanced.

Basically Heroes V is my favourite HoMM game on gameplay alone. My quibbles lie only with camera, UI oddities and limited launch content.

arthureloi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby arthureloi » 24 May 2006, 14:01

Finally Heroes is back in good shape! I´m luvin it, I like the design of the scenarios, the story, and every aspect of the game. My only complaint, wich is the lack of single scenario stages, will be hopefully be no more with the launching of random map generator and editor =)
One could only match, move by move, the machinations of fate and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

trolos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

My pennys worth

Unread postby trolos » 24 May 2006, 22:04

I just "finished" map 3 of Necro and got my first real dissappointment with heroes 5 when I had to play the whole thing again after a bug just before the final battle. Imagine.
That said, I must confess that I am really thrilled about how they managed to restore that good old Heroes Vibe that I kind of rediscovered (finally) after playing homm4 (which is nice also) for so long. BIG accomplishment! Takes you right back there!
I like how they reinstated the magic system w area-fx on high spec. I love how heroes stats now affects the troops in a way that makes some kind of difference again and that the hero has a more passive / godlike role instead of just being another tough mob.
I like that you build and upgrade dwellings again, and that you can't always be sure what special abilities and perks you're gonna get as upgrades- familiar ground, for instance, is not pre-listed under logistics, same with stand your ground on defence- it gives a feeling that there's more to discover. I also like that you can rock without having the defence skill- and it's so easy to make that one a do or die.
I also found the game to be well balanced (albeit much too easy on normal and impossible on hard, but that's more of a map's issue)
And I so look forward to when people start making maps and Psychobabble reviews them so the rest of us will know which ones to download![/img]

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 25 May 2006, 00:34

It has my name in the credits. First time ever! :-D

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Re: My pennys worth

Unread postby Psychobabble » 25 May 2006, 00:56

Thanks for the replies so far guys, keep it coming! I'm currently playing "The Conquest" in the inferno campaign... has anyone else found that map really tough (hard difficulty)? I'm having a hard time keeping my head above water, i'm constantly in danger of losing my main army and seem to be making very slow progress. It's a great challenge, but does anyone have any general tips? Beside getting phantom image in the previous map, because I stupidly didn't do that :). All those massive neutral stacks of sprites and hunters which generate every week really whittle down my army.
trolos wrote: And I so look forward to when people start making maps and Psychobabble reviews them so the rest of us will know which ones to download![/img]
Heh, well I'll start reviewing as soon as the editor is out and the community gets fired up :). I've got a couple of ideas kicking around for map contest, too, so it should be pretty exciting...

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 May 2006, 01:21

im there too PB, and it is hard going .... although i did get phantom forces, im not using it all that much

where are you upto? met gilraen (sp??) for the second time, third?

i am running two major armies at the moment, agrael has a sylvan army, complete with emerald dragons (only 2 thou :-(), and a second hero with the inferno troops (still need to upgrade to complete that army) .... i built up the sylvan town first and upgraded at the hill forst, have taken most mines and now that i have a decent force i am consolidating, im not going quick (i think month 2 week 1 or 2)

i just ran into gilraen (sp??) for the third time, and although i did beat him, i lost most of my forces, so trying this a different way ....

dunno if there is anything to help in here, but maybe

as an aside, Hellfire is great, especially like how it works for non-inferno troops as well!!!

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 25 May 2006, 01:34

Well, I just found the main thread on the campaign and i've realised I made at least one major mistake. I've been focussing on inferno troops, because the enemy attacked the nearby sylvan town so early that I haven't bothered to build it up. I guess I should :). Im currently trying to build up forces and just running around, haven't met the other hero for the 2nd time yet... he's too strong!

And, yes, hellfire is good :).

Extrakun
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Extrakun » 25 May 2006, 16:48

What I like....

3) The campagin missions have more variety than the usual "build-town-kill-all" sequence and the "fetch-artefact-here-and-there" style (though the first campagin, beting tutorial, somewhat falls into the latter)

2) Music. Great as usual, but a bit short for the combat themes. I missed the tribal vibes that HoMM music has in genre during combat, though.

1) Addictive. HoMM V is as addictive as before. No feeling can top the exultion of amassing a kick-ass armies and go around driving your enemies forth, seeing them wailing and lamenting

trolos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

disclaimer

Unread postby trolos » 27 May 2006, 22:02

About that "too easy on normal and impossible on hard" I just finished "The invasion"- 3rd on Necro on hard just fine. Had great battles and I gotta say that they the necromancy skill finally got exactly powerfull enough- doesn't hurt that they gave the skeletons some personality either, heh

Return to “Heroes V-VI”