Gregory Fulton on Names in Heroes of Might and Magic III

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Amelrix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Gregory Fulton on Names in Heroes of Might and Magic III

Unread postby Amelrix » 08 Aug 2023, 04:28

While studying at university at the department of philology, I chose as a topic for my research project of my thesis names from Heroes of Might and Magic III (specifically town and hero names). Some time afterwards Gregory Fulton came out with his Fanstratics project and the accompanying Newsletter in which he offered to answer any questions concerning Heroes of Might and Magic III. As in the course of my work I accumulated a number of questions regarding the thinking and logic behind the onomastic material I researched and being interested in the principles involved in the creation of those names in general, I thought that to pass on this exceptional opportunity of getting into the mind of the author of the object of my research and addressing questions connected to them directly to the author (for I knew that he was their author) would have been to exhibit a hardly explainable unreason or something to be attributed to gross negligence. So, having collected my questions, I decided to write to him and Gregory Fulton graciously agreed to answer all of my numerous questions. This developed into almost one and a half year of correspondence, over which period Gregory Fulton provided exhaustive (to the best of his ability) answers to around 200 questions.

I was of the firm belief that it would be wrong to keep such information to myself only, and as it also seemed to me quite clear that there were many people who are greatly interested in such information, I decided to share it with the world at large. So, in the end, I compiled for such a publication all the information that came out in this correspondence. This final result was looked over by Gregory Fulton. So, in the two following posts I present the final result.

All the information is divided into two parts: general questions about names in Heroes of Might and Magic III (and some dealing with some other matters as well), which is organised topically, and information concerning particular names, which is organised by the respective names.

The organisation of such a huge body of correspondence required some substantial rearrangement of the material in order to make it convenient for use while also preserving comprehensiveness.

The principles I adhered to in this task were as follows.

Gregory Fulton’s answers are preserved as close to the original text as possible. When there are changes to the text, these changes as well as editorial insertions with necessary explanations of the context of the answer are indicated with square brackets ([]). Changes consisting in correction of obvious typos are not indicated, though.

When necessary, the original context of Gregory Fulton’s replies is provided, generally in a reformulated form. This context is intended to be as minimal as possible while providing for understanding of the answer. It is enclosed into square brackets.

The text of the original question is kept to minimum and is given only where the context is necessary for understanding the text of the answer. In some cases the original text of the question was edited for this publication. These edits are indicated with square brackets.

Thus, the context for answers is given in one of three ways:

1. As the text of the original question, in which case this question is given before the Greg Fulton’s reply, marked with the “►” symbol, and all edits to its original text are given in square brackets ([]).
  2. As editorial insertions, not part of the actual conversation, in which case they are put into square brackets.
  3. As editorial insertions into the Gregory Fulton’s reply directly, in which case they are given in square brackets.
When some parts of the original text (of the actual question or Gregory Fulton’s reply) is omitted, this omission is marked with “[…]”.

Every separate Gregory Fulton’s reply is marked with the “■” symbol.

Gregory Fulton’s answers are organised by topic. The chronology of replies was not generally preserved, but, nevertheless, they are usually arranged in a logical order, so that when one reply follows from another their relative placement respect this fact.

Amelrix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Gregory Fulton on Names in Heroes of Might and Magic III

Unread postby Amelrix » 08 Aug 2023, 04:30

Part 1. Name-Related and Other Questions

On the Authorship of Names

■ I created all the randomly assigned names for Towns in HoMM3 (excluding Cove (which are excellent)). It’s been awhile since I created those names, but my creative process is still the same.

■ I created most of the Hero names, but not all of them. Some were carried over from HoMM2. At least a couple were suggested by HoMM3 Map Makers, and perhaps an unknown Game Tester. I don’t recall any fan suggestions.

■ I named Antagarich, and all of its nations, including Eofol, Nighon, Erathia, etc.

■ I named the continent, the nations, the towns, and most of the ‘in game’ Heroes. Everything else was touched by someone else (Christian, Jennifer Bullard, different Map Makers, etc).

■ Winston Boragus, Gavin Magnus, Finneas Vilmar, Eldrich Parson, Tralossk, Faruk Welni, Queen Catherine, and Morgan Kendal were not named by me. I know Xenofex was suggested by Christian, but I do not recall if he created the name. I named Antagarich, and all of its nations, including Eofol, Nighon, Erathia, etc.

■ Xenofex was a name suggested by Christian Vanover, but technically [Xenofex is] not an in-game Hero.

■ If I remember correctly, the sequence of events went something like this. We were midway through development, when I gave Christian the task of writing all the Hero bios.

At the same time, Christian was writing lore for the game manual, and the HoMM message board hosted by 3DO (I could be mistaken about the latter). The names of the Erathian leaders naturally came about while he was writing the lore.

Christian created all the hero bios, suggested the name Xenofex, requested one of the Heroes be named Christian (for himself), and requested I name all of the remaining Heroes. In my mind, the names of the Erathian leaders are separate from ‘in game’ heroes.

[The following answer refers to the story told by Christian Vanover of the Heroes of Might and Magic III development which can be read here.]

■ My recollection of the event is as follows. If it differs from what Christian recalls, you will need to inquire with him.

While I had some Hero names suggested by the Astral Wizard community, Scott White, along with the Heroes carried over from HoMM2, I still needed to fill out the remaining Hero names and biographies for our complete roster. Thinking I could pass the task off to Christian, one day, I caught him passing by my office. When I told him I needed 128 names and bios, he laughed, but agreed to do it.

A couple of days later, he returned to my office with a single sheet of paper. It had roughly eight heroes and their biographies. Almost immediately, he began laughing, telling me how he had no trouble with the biographies, but the names were terrible. This would be his famous line, “I’ll come up with 128 character bios before I come up with 8 good names.”

I looked over his work, and in my opinion, about half of the Hero names were useable. At this point, I struck a deal with him. I would create the Hero names, and he would create the biographies. Happily, he agreed, but requested one of the Knights be named Sir Christian, as he wanted a Hero named after himself.

I agreed as I thought it would be fun. It was this interaction which paved the way for the eventual addition of Sir Mullich.

From this moment, I would sporadically create Hero names, hand them off to Christian, and he would eventually return with their respective biographies. Along the way, there would occasionally be names offered by the testers, but their bios would be created by Christian.

This is in some form related to the naming of the eight leaders of the Antagarich factions, but I honestly do not recall any details regarding this subject. To my recollection, this was something Christian did on his own for his stories for the 3DO message board, but I could be wrong.

► A question regarding the first map of the Long Live the Queen campaign. Whereas in the Restoration of Erathia campaigns towns usually have no assigned names, unless those towns have a particular identity in the universe of the game – such as national capitals, when they make their appearance in the scenario – or they are related to the scenario objective, in this scenario all five towns are given their proper names (two of these towns feature in pre-release story by Christian Vanover, and, therefore, may be regarded as narratively predefined). It may also be noted that these town names exhibit a remarkable stylistic similarity to generic town names of the corresponding type, as if coming from a single set of names. Thus, this map looks anomalous in this regard. Is there some explanation for that? Was Christian Vanover its maker?

■ No real explanation, as I honestly don’t know. Christian Vanover and Dave Botan (deceased) made all of the campaign maps, and I trusted them to do their work. So, I can’t speak to the Town names in the first map of Long Live the Queen. As to the authors, I didn’t keep a list of authors when it came to campaign maps, but it’s more than likely Chris made this specific map.

■ There is a chance I had a spreadsheet... somewhere... with all of the map credits.
It would take some effort to unearth it, but I may do it just for a Fanstratics recollection story.

■ For the Campaigns (RoE and AB), each Map Maker was given a set of map specifications: Campaign Name, Scenario Name, Map Size, # of Players (human/cpu), Victory Conditions, Loss Conditions, Map Difficulty, Starting Options, Scenario Prerequisites, etc. Town names were never part of the specification. Town names were effectively left in the hands of the Map Makers, working under the assumption they would comply with any ‘lore’ requirements.

► Regarding your answer […], “Town names were never part of the specification. Town names were effectively left in the hands of the Map Makers, working under the assumption they would comply with any ‘lore’ requirements.” Does this mean that capital names were also created by campaign map makers? It also seems to imply that the world-building and the creation of the game’s lore was essentially a collaborative process.

■ To your first question, “Yes.” Capital names were also created by campaign makers.

To your second point, “Yes.” I basically set up a structure and boundaries for the Map Makers, and they were free to play within those boundaries... within reason. If I were to draft an analogy, I would say I created a moderately detailed outline, and the Map Makers wrote the chapters.

► Your words also seem to imply that even if there were several people, besides you, who suggested names for heroes, you still exercised editorial control over these names, so that you still determined what names in the end would find their way into the game. Do I understand it correctly?

■ This would be correct. I controlled the spreadsheet with all the Hero names and biographies. I had final say.

► [Could you provide any information about the seers’ names?]

■ Sorry. I have no information in this topic.

The External Circumstances of the Name Creation

■ It’s difficult to recall, but I would estimate I worked part time, on various names, over the course of October, November, December, and January [in the 1997-1998 period].

■ For each workday, when possible, from 1pm to 5pm, I closed my office door and tried to focus on rendering HoMM3’s design. This would include working on Hero and Town names. This would also include whatever happened to pop-up and needed immediate attention. This would also include Wednesdays, and sometimes Thursdays, meeting with JVC. So, imagine a couple hours a week, over several months. In the end, I’d estimate the total number of hours spent was around 1 work week, 2 at the most.

[The following reply refers to the fact that the names Melodia, Piquedram, Astral, Straker were suggested by Phil McCrum as evidenced by the following entry on the Astral Wizard website:

Names I submitted for heroes as requested by NWC (see Crystal Ball Page): Piquedram (wizard); loves clockwork things. Lord Straker (knight); tough, ironfist in velvet glove, in your face to right a wrong. Melodia (sorceress); has a musical bent. Dune Rider (barbarian). Bone Dancer (necromancer); reeks of death and evil. GoldDrake (warlock); young, arrogant. Astral (wizard); dark red robe, dark purple pointy hat, paprika hair, good-looking but with touches of ‘Wonderland/Looking Glass’ eccentricism. (I just HAD to submit that one!) from Astral Wizard (AstralWizard@astralwizard.com).
Link, wish 826

and the fact that 3 out of 4 of these names (Melodia, Astral, Straker) top the list of heroes of their respective classes, thus suggesting a sort of priority given to them.]

■ I wouldn’t say ‘priority’. More than likely, I had those names on hand before I created the others. When giving them a ‘home’, it would be natural to start at the top of a Hero class list and work my way down, looking for a relatively good fit. Once I’d run out of ‘suggested’ names, I would proceed to create the needed additional names.

► It follows from the story-related posts by Christian Vanover on the 3DO Message Board, which were being published in anticipation of the game release, that many of the generic town names, used for random assignment, are actually names of settlements found throughout Antagarich. The town name “Stonecastle”, one of these generic names, is also the name of a town in the first scenario of the Long Live the King campaign. So, the question is: were those towns created first, whose names were then used as generic town names of the corresponding type, or were these names for every town type created first and later used by Christian Vanover in his narratives? Or is the situation somewhat more complex than that?

■ It is difficult to recall to sequence of events, but I suspect I created a limited collection of Town names for the pre-release Demo. Chris probably created his story related posts, from my initial list of Town names. Only later did I ‘finish the task’.

■ Town names were specifically created for randomly placed towns on the Adventure Map. While Christian used my town names for his posts [i.e., the posts by Christian Vanover spoken about in the preceding question], the town names were never created for Christian’s posts.

► In one of the pre-release screenshots (can be seen here) there is a hero bearing the name “Rugard” with the portrait of Josephine. On another pre-release screenshot (can be seen here) there is a hero with the name “Galdwyn” and the portrait of Sanya. How can these screenshots be explained?

■ My memory is really vague concerning these screenshots. If I properly recall, I suspect these screens were put together by Scott White (artist). I think he asked me for some Hero names, but I didn’t have any at the time. So, I told him to just give each Hero a good temporary name. Which he did.

► You said that the reason for the discrepancy between names in some pre-release screenshots and in the final version of the game is that the names were still not created at the time when these screenshots were released. However, there is another such screenshot, which can be seen here, in which the hero with the portrait of Gerwulf has the name “2nd General”, while two other heroes have their names of the final version.

Also, as regards the second screenshot in the question, there are some other pre-release screenshots (which can be seen here and here), by all appearances made within the same game (perhaps the previous screenshot belongs to the same version of the game, judging by the look of the interface and especially the resources’ graphics), which, however, in contrast to it, feature final hero names.

Should it then be explained as that at the time these screenshots were made, some heroes had their names assigned, while others did not?

■ I doubt some Heroes had their names assigned, while others did not. If I remember correctly, those pre-release ‘screenshots’ were completely fake. They were created entirely in Photoshop, and more than likely rendered by Scott White. He may have asked me for some Hero names, and I gave him something temporary which made it into the final game. It is also possible I told him to simply make up some names, and I kept them.

► In the various pre-release materials showing early versions of the game there can be seen town names that are not found in the final version, namely “Firebrand Castle” (Fortress, Castle), “Dreamport Castle” (Castle), “Miretown” (Fortress), “Wizard’s Vale” (Tower), “Forst” (Rampart). Were they excluded from the final version of the game for some reason, or were they (as most probably the first two of these town names) just placeholders?

■ Placeholders. More than likely, Scott White (artist) composed these images, and simply created the placeholder names.

► Also, some of the town names that can be seen in these materials are used for towns of different types than in the final version of the game, viz.: “Cornerstone” (Dungeon, instead of Castle), “Highcastle” (Stronghold, Rampart, Fortress, instead of Castle), “Castlellatus” (Necropolis, Dungeon, instead of Castle). Was there some reason for that?

■ Difficult to recall. I suspect I gave Scott White a collection of Castle Town names to use, but did not specify they were ‘Castle’ names. So, he simply applied them as he desired.

When it came to promotional materials, I didn’t pay any attention to the Hero or Town name continuity. For advertisements, it was strictly ‘graphical glory’ with the ‘text’ supporting the images. A Hero’s name was unimportant, where the Hero’s class (i.e. Wizard, Cleric, etc.) was important as it communicated the different classes as a ‘feature’.

The Creative Process

■ Overall, the structure I used for each created name was relatively simple and straightforward.

• Define the character/town/nation ‘Theme’ or ‘Trait’.
  • Find an English word related to the Theme or Trait.
  • Research the English word and its word origins.
  • Could I find ‘old’ words to use or parts of ‘old’ words?
  • Could I modify a word element with other syllables, prefixes, or suffixes?
  • Can I pronounce the end result with relative ease?
  • Does pronunciation infer a different spelling?
  • Does the spelling generally indicate how it should be pronounced?
Overall, using this process, it took me a couple weeks to arrive at all the various names. In hindsight, I wanted more time to work in a fair number of ‘anagrams’, but time simply ran out.

One other item you might want to keep in mind. I’m American. In America, we have a vast collection of different people from different backgrounds. This makes ‘intermixing’ commonplace. For instance, you could have a 3rd or 4th generation family of Chinese descent, with a newborn boy named David Yee. Mixing cultures, and arriving at a new amalgamation, is a very American thing, and I believe it shows up in my work (subconsciously).

■ One of the things I enjoy most, is word creation via amalgamation of word parts or ‘syllable torquing’. This is most evident in the development of Fanstratics (Fantasy + Strategy + Tactics). This was also something I employed with Antagarich and some of its nation names.

► Could you provide some information regarding what town names (and in some cases names of heroes as well) were patterned on?

■ I couldn’t tell you, in detail, what I was thinking at the time, but these should be rather logical.

• Castle
    Plains. Strength. Holiness. Resurrection.
  • Rampart
    Forest. Nature. Enchanted.
  • Tower
    Snow. Exotic. Magical. Elevated.
  • Inferno
    Lava. Fire. Burning. Demonic.
  • Necropolis
    Death. Decay. Undead.
  • Dungeon
    Subterranean. Subhuman. Darkness. Hidden.
  • Stronghold
    Barbarian. Blood. Brutality. Offense.
  • Fortress
    Swamp. Slowness. Defense. Reptilian.
  • Conflux
    Natural elements. Air. Earth. Fire. Water. Balance.
■ Other than a character limit, and a basic theme […], there was no formal system for the names corresponding to each faction. If anything, it was all rather loose and informal.

► It seems that a significant portion of Castle town names exhibit roots expressing architectural notions:

• Transom
  • Cornerstone
  • Gateway
  • Dunwall
  • Whitestone (also, although you said that the town name “Claxtone” was derived from a family name, it may also be viewed as alluding to the word “stone”) (■ Agreed.)
  • Highcastle
  • Castellatus
There also may be noted the Castle town names “Caryatid” and “Plinth” in the first scenario of the Long Live the Queen campaign, which seem to conform to the same thematic principle.

Could you please say, what was the motivation there?

■ I would guess I started researching the word ‘Castle’, and wandered my way to the various other words on your list. For instance, ‘Castle’ leads to ‘Castellate’, which leads to ‘Castellatus’ (Medieval Latin for ‘fortified’).

■ I had a lot of names to generate, so one of the things I did, in addition to all the other things, was to ‘reverse look-up’ name meanings. For example...

• Coronius means ‘honesty, sacrificer, admirer’.
  • Inteus means ‘capability, strength’.
‘Honesty’ could have easily been ‘Giltbert’ (I probably would have torqued this name into Gildbert or Beraht (bright) or Gildberaht (sacrificial light)) or ‘Gilda’.

‘Strength’ could have easily been ‘Alcaeus’ or ‘Alcides’ (both are difficult to pronounce).

In these examples, I searched for common terms like ‘honesty’ and ‘strength’ and found a list of potential names. Sometimes these names did not have clear origins, but still felt exotic enough to ‘fit-in’ with all the other names.

► Three Inferno town names: “Ashcombe”, “Ashden”, “Blackburn” are built by a model traditional for English toponymy (so that settlements with the names “Ashcombe” and “Blackburn” can be found in the territory of the UK). However, it is reasonable to suppose that the element “ash” in the first two names refer to the noun with the meaning of “cinder”, rather than of a tree species, which this element has in the system of English toponymy. In a similar way it may be supposed that the element “burn” in “Blackburn” should be related to the word “burn”, as in damage caused by heat, rather than to the word with the meaning of “stream”, which this element has in the English toponymy.

■ Your assumptions about Ash and Burn are correct. Ash meaning cinder. Burn meaning damage caused by heat.

► So, can it be considered a reinterpretation of the elements of traditional English toponymy and a sort of felicitous wordplay?

■ Yes. These are ‘Inferno’ town names, so they do play with convention. Overall, the goal is to drive home the common words ‘ash’ and ‘burn’, but they tend to ‘work out’ in their respective compositions. Blackburn can mean ‘burned black’ (i.e. a town burned black by fire, heat, etc.). Blackburn, as you point out, could also mean ‘black stream’, which could be envisioned as a burning town adjacent to a stream, filled with ash, and turned black because of it.

► In discussing the process you used for the creation of names you often refer to research involved in it. Could you, for example, explain what you mean, speaking of “meaning search” and “reverse look-up”, so that I could adequately comprehend your meaning here. Could you say something about the sources you used in your research?

■ The research tools available in 1998 are similar to the tools available today, but they are not the same. In my attempts to answer your questions, I try to trigger my memories by doing ‘research’ similar to my original approach. This basically boils down to searching prefixes, suffixes, word origins, a Thesaurus, and a baby name generator. Excluding Google search, my current list of sources are as follows...

Recently I have added ‘anagram’ tools, and may use them in Fanstratics.

Obviously, some tools are better and more dependable than others. A search could start with any of the above tools.

For instance, I could go to Babynames.com and input ‘fire’ into the ‘Meaning’ field. From the results, ‘Ignace’ jumps out at me. Inputting this name into Wiktionary leads me to the Latin word ‘Ignatius’. From there, I read over the etymology of the various languages, and from them I spot ‘Ignis’. From there, I read over the etymology of ‘Ignis’, and well... there are plenty of good choices. ‘Ignifer’ sounds like a good town name. Within ‘Ignivagus’ I like ‘vagus’. Could I pair Vagus up with another word, or a prefix, or a suffix, for a Hero name? ‘Chrono’ meaning time? Chrono Vagus? Chrono Vagus the time wanderer? Chrono Vagus the time traveler? And so it goes, one after another.

► As for the aspect of the meaning of the original roots and words, used in creation of names, on the one hand, your accounts of your creative process clearly indicate that you always have in mind some particular meaning at the base of names you create; on the other hand, you also say that you often employ form change of the original word; you also mentioned the use of anagrams in this process — operations that significantly obscure and make it hard to identify the original word/root and the corresponding meaning. […] I may suppose that your object there was not explicitly giving the meaning you had in mind, but probably to some degree to suggest it, and the audience was not always supposed to be aware of its presence.

■ I would agree with your assessment.

► From your answers it may be concluded that all names come from some preexisting name or some word. Can it be then surmised that every town or hero name (provided it did not originate from some other team member) can be traced back to a source of one of these types?

■ Excluding the Hero names suggested by the Community or the NWC testers, there are only a small number of Hero or Town name not derived from an existing language... in one form or another (i.e., nonsense names).

► In two previous games of the series there were heroes’ names of biblical or mythological origin (e.g., Jezebel, Rebecca, Atlas); in Heroes of Might and Magic III, however, there are virtually no such names. Was it a deliberate decision to not use such kind of names?

■ Yes and no. It wasn’t a purposeful decision on my part to avoid Biblical or mythological names. I simply like playing around with word origins and creating amalgamated words, and this was an opportunity to have a lot of fun.

► Also, while in the two previous games of the series many town names included references to the universe of the previous games in the Might and Magic series, town names in Heroes of Might and Magic III do not use names of such sort. Was it also a deliberate decision?

■ Yes. This was deliberate. HoMM3 was purposely set apart from the earlier games, as I was new to the company, and had little knowledge of what was occurring with MM6. I wanted a clean break from what the MM6 team was doing, so I didn’t need to worry about lore issues. After HoMM3, MM7 effectively integrated the game’s lore into the larger, ongoing storyline.

► Are there any hero names, other than “Christian”, “Sir Mullich” and [“Desslock” (for information on this name see the second part)], that were taken from members of the development team or some other real people?

■ I don’t recall any other such names. In general, I prefer to avoid using ‘secret’ names. If they are immediately recognized by the general public, it breaks immersion, and you tend to see a character as something other than intended. Sir Mullich is the best example of this. Very few people will look at Sir Mullich and see anything other than David Mullich.

► In cases where town names are composed of English words, should it be assumed that these name forms are nothing else but only representations of their actual names as they appear within the fictional world itself, as there seems to be no reasonable grounds to believe that English language is present in the world of Heroes of Might and Magic III; in other words, such names are a translation convention, similarly to the way many names in The Lord of the Rings are actually English calques of the names consisting of Westron elements (e.g., Rivendell — Karningul, Shire — Sûza, Grey Havens — Mithlond, Frodo Baggins — Maura Labingi) (as J. R. R. Tolkien wrote in the Appendix F II “On Translation” to Return of the King, “I have also translated all Westron names according to their senses. When English names or titles appear in this book it is an indication that names in the Common Speech were current at the time, beside, or instead of, those in alien (usually Elvish) languages.”)? Could, then, names exhibiting elements of other real-world languages (such as Latin, Greek, German etc.) be taken as a translation convention of representing names consisting of elements of some other specific languages of the game world? The corollary of which is: if a name does not exhibit any identifiable with words of real-world languages elements, should they be considered as belonging to languages actually present in the game world?

■ I believe your question reads too much into HoMM3’s final result. While I wanted HoMM3’s names to be creative, I also wanted them to echo known languages in one form or another... if possible. When it comes to ‘English or other languages’ being used as a ‘translation convention’, I can honestly say the thought never crossed my mind. While I like the idea (it makes wonderful sense), I simply did not have the time to apply this level of detail to HoMM3’s names. I must admit, it would have been nice to create what you describe, but to properly render such an endeavor would have consumed all my time for months.

■ Prior to HotA, I believe I did mention, in an interview somewhere, how I used pieces of Latin, Old English, Old German, prefixes and suffixes, to make character and location names. Anyone willing to put in the necessary time, should be able to fashion comparable titles.

► What was the general concept you had for the Conflux faction, the realisation of which led you to the employment of a rather counterintuitive set of languages? What was the reason for the choice of these languages specifically?

■ For the Conflux, the overall ‘theme’ was the four elements: Air, Earth, Fire, and Water. As to the ‘employment of a rather counterintuitive set of languages’, my approach was top down, not bottom up. I didn’t choose the languages, I arrived at the languages. I started with a common English word, then worked back through each word’s etymology, looking for inspiration. I went wherever the research led me, no matter how organic the process.

► From your previous answers I […] understand that […] the language affiliation of names was not supposed to bear any particular meaning.

■ Correct.

► I feel […] it is better to view these names [spoken about in the preceding question] as a translation convention, even if it was not the explicit authorial intent; for I do not know how to make sense of the whole picture otherwise.

■ I think you could view the names as part of a translation convention, but I would frame it as a very chaotic translation convention.

► Is it actually your original vision that there was only one language in use throughout the whole continent of Antagarich, probably the same that is used in Enroth and possibly the language is Modern English?

■ I can honestly say, what language or languages being used throughout Antagarich never crossed my mind. I simply did not have the time to craft the world in such detail. Perhaps my ‘non-answer’ is confirmation of Modern English as the singular language used throughout the two different continents.

► The understanding I get from your words [i.e., of the preceding reply] is that even if the information in the game has an implication that the language of Antagarich (as well of the whole planet) is English, it was, however, not the intended idea among the designers and it could be reconsidered if the question had to be decided upon at some point. Is it correct?

■ I would say your assumption is correct. It was not my intended idea, nor was it the intended idea amongst the designers, but if it was necessary, such a subject would be reconsidered.

► Is it […] true that there was no particular judgement on this issue among other people responsible for the development of the game’s background?

■ Correct.

► Do you know if Paul Rattner had any particular stance on this question?

■ Not to my knowledge.

► There is a quote from one of the Christian Vanover’s stories posted on the 3DO Official Message Board in anticipation of the game release:

The sound of a war horn was our first warning. Everyone was alert, and Korbac and Verdish began barking orders in assorted languages.
[it can be accessed here]

which provides direct evidence that at least in Christian Vanover’s view there are actually numerous languages used throughout Antagarich. Actually, this quote aligns with the expectation I had concerning this matter that there is a common language, which takes its origin from the human population and which is known by most other intelligent races, but all other races have their own language which they speak among themselves; that is, a situation which is more or less a standard for traditional fantasy. Is this situation a possibility?

■ When Christian wrote this piece for the 3DO message board, I suspect he was just adhering to traditional fantasy stereotypes. So, to answer your question, “Sure. It’s a possibility, but I doubt Christian gave it much further thought, beyond the time in which he wrote it.”

► It seems that a significant portion of Conflux names are represented by the infinitive form of the verb (such town names as “Fleogan Mills”, “Froisan” – supposing it is related to the Old German verb “friosan” – and as it may be conjectured “Vluchton”; such names of heroes as “Monere”, “Grindan” and “Gelare”), just as in the case of town names “Castigare” and “Dolere” […]. What was the general concept that motivated such a method of name building? Why is such sort of names largely confined to the Conflux name space?

■ Your question assumes I gave more thought to the ‘name building’... than actually occurred. […]

As to the Conflux ‘name space’, please keep in mind, I was burned out from Restoration of Erathia, and slowly becoming disgruntled with New World’s management. At this stage of development, I wasn’t giving a great deal of thought to the Conflux Hero and Town names. If anything, I was playing ‘fast and loose’ with their creation.

■ When I am making these names, I don’t have a lot of time, and I need to make a lot of names, so I rarely concern myself with the ‘form’. My main concern is, “Can it be reasonably pronounced? Is there some implied meaning?”

■ While I was mildly aware of each name’s form, I never let it overrule basic utility. I needed to quickly create ‘pseudo-medieval fantasy names’, with some implied root to real world languages. If it looked good... and was relatively straightforward to pronounce... I went with it.

► As far as I was able understand from your answer to the question about the use of the infinitive form in names, the morphological features of the name sources were irrelevant for these names, as names in their final context — that is as used in the game — were not supposed to bear their original morphological meaning, these features were not supposed to convey some other specific meaning, and these forms should not be interpreted as any particular morphological form.

■ Correct... assuming I understand your question.

► Was […] [the] primary form of [names’] creation phonetic or graphical, with the other counterpart form based on [that] primary one?

■ Primarily phonetic, with a graphical secondary concern.

► Was there an established, canonical pronunciation […] for all […] names?

■ I had a ‘proper’ pronunciation in mind, but I never wrote anything down. Such an endeavor would have been pointless. Once I published a name... it was really up to the community to agree on a pronunciation.

Perhaps the best example of this is the arcade game Galaga. Galaga was a sequel to the arcade game Galaxian. Galaxian is pronounced... Guh-lak-see-uhn. Galaga was supposed to be pronounced... Guh-laa-guh. However, most people do not pronounce it this way. Instead, of Guh-laa-guh, they say... Gal-uh-guh.

As a side note, after I published the name ‘Gelu’ (je-lu or jel-u), I found myself continually correcting the Map Makers, who pronounced it ‘Guh-el-you’ or worse... Gay-Lou.

► Did you have an original phonetic system […] according to which they should be pronounced, or did their pronunciation conform to the pronunciation in their source language […] or was their pronunciation confined to the English phonetics?

■ Generally, their pronunciation was confined to the English phonetics, but there were exceptions.

► Your statement, “I had a ‘proper’ pronunciation in mind, but I never wrote anything down. Such an endeavor would have been pointless. Once I published a name... it was really up to the community to agree on a pronunciation.”, to me comes out as counterintuitive. In the absence of the official statement on the pronunciation there always arises confusion and disagreement about the proper pronunciation […], as you yourself indicated in your answer. If the official pronunciations were available, it would preclude such cases. […] Is there not also a need for a pronunciation guide for internal use (you mentioned the problems with incorrect pronunciations within the team that arise when such a guide is absent)?

■ If I wrote ‘a pronunciation guide for internal use’... no one would read it. Attempting to ‘enforce’ proper pronunciation would create a lot of ill will (Gelu being a mild example), as no one likes being corrected when it comes to pronunciation or grammar. It doesn’t take a lot of imagination to envision the rolling eyes and exasperated sighs from irritated team members.

► Can the pronunciations given by voice actors in cinematics be taken as official, canonical pronunciation that you had in mind?

■ Yes.

► Was race a factor in the creation of names of heroes?

■ Not really. It’s difficult to recall the process, but if race was a factor, it was a disqualifying factor. Meaning... this name doesn’t make sense with this hero of this Troop type... try using it with a different hero.

► How much do you think the names in Heroes of Might and Magic III are characteristic of the fantasy genre as a whole; how well do they represent the general situation in the genre?

■ How well do they represent general situation in the genre? My goal was to be relatively traditional. Did I accomplish this? On some level, I would say ‘yes’, but I personally thought I could have done much better. Crafting a true ‘naming system’, rooted in world lore, would have taken at least a month, but as you point out, I needed to create a lot of names (bulk) in a very brief period of time. So, most of my work involved using forgotten ‘root words’ and ‘word mash-ups’. I think I generated all of the Hero and Town names in roughly one work week.

► Is it right to assume that the representation of universal fantasy naming conventions was indeed your intention?

■ I would say, “Yes.” My goal was to create names most people would quickly and easily identify as adhering to typical ‘fantasy’ conventions.

► Do you think that the name creation process you described can be taken as a common approach and considered a norm for naming in fantasy games?

■ I honestly don’t know. You would need to survey other fantasy game designers for their approach. To my knowledge, at the time when the HoMM3 Hero names were created, most fantasy game designers improvised. Look no further than HoMM1...

• Ambrose - Knight
  • Arturius - Knight
  • Dimitri - Knight
  • Ector - Knight
  • Lord Haart - Knight
  • Lord Kilburn - Knight
  • Maximus - Knight
  • Sir Gallant - Knight
  • Tyro - Knight
  • Antoine - Barbarian
  • Atlas - Barbarian
  • Crag Hack - Barbarian
  • Ergon - Barbarian
  • JoJosh - Barbarian
  • Kelzen - Barbarian
  • Thundax - Barbarian
  • Tsabu - Barbarian
  • Yog - Barbarian
Do any of these names strike you as resulting from some form of research, or... improvisation? To my eyes and ears... improvisation.

► How would you assess the ratio of talent and skill required in the creation of names in fantasy works. That is, what do you think would be a more probable cause of less than satisfactory result in the name creation: the lack of talent or an inadequate amount of dedication and hard work?

■ In my personal opinion, I would say a lack of hard work (broadly defined) is the culprit. It’s a cliché, but genius really is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration (broadly defined). Ideas are cheap and plentiful. Execution is hard.

In the present day, in any endeavor, failure can typically be attributed to poor execution. What causes ‘poor execution’ can be almost anything: managerial interference, corruption, inexperience, poor funding, laziness, fear, etc.

Other Questions Concerning Names

► [According to one of the Christian Vanover’s stories] the town Marishen is an Erathian town [the passage in question reads: “The Kreegans moved so quickly that the human cities of Dunwall and Marishen, along with the elven city of Bath'iere, fell before any large force could be brought against them.”, the story can be found here], however, in the game this name is placed into the pool of Rampart rather than Castle town names. […] Is there some explanation for this mismatch?

■ It’s got to be a mistake.

■ I suspect Christian simply made a mistake in calling Marishen a human town.

► The town name “Strongglen” is present in the set of town names of both Rampart and Stronghold factions. Was there a specific logic behind that?

■ This is a mistake. It was my intention for each Town name to be unique. I honestly never noticed this error until you pointed it out just now. It’s pretty amazing it slipped through testing and remains in the game after all of these years.

► What was the reason for the limit of 16 town names per town type? Were there some town names that were excluded due to this limit?

■ Because we didn’t want map makers going crazy with their map designs, we limited Towns to a maximum of 48. From this limitation, there were basically two avenues for creating town names.

One, create 48 town names for each faction, totaling 384 town names for RoE or 432 for AB. This is a lot of names and a lot of work. It can be done, but it would take a lot of time and effort, and both of these elements are always in short supply.

Two, create a large, but lesser amount of town names, covering a reasonable number of faction towns, which happen to be relatively interchangeable with the other factions. As we had 16 heroes per faction, I asked John Bolton for 16 town names per faction.

Were some town names excluded due to this limit? Yes and no. Initially, the number of town names was set as a goal. I then created town names to satisfy this goal. I’m sure some town names were created and discarded because I ultimately didn’t like them.

General Considerations about Name-Building in Heroes of Might and Magic III

► Do you consider this task [of creating the names for Heroes of Might and Magic III] was a relatively minor part of the whole effort involved in the development of the game?

■ I would classify it as moderate. Most design elements required a week or two of caffeinated effort.

► How would you assess the work you did on the names in Heroes of Might and Magic III now, a quarter of a century later?

■ Personally, I thought it was sloppy. In hindsight, given enough time and effort, I would have created a ‘naming system’ where each Hero name would have been constructed with a clear and reasonable meaning. Instead, given the production conditions, my only real choice was to adopt an impressionist approach. From a distance, it felt right. Up close, it was chaotic.

► Would you do something differently now?

■ Depends on the conditions. If I were working for another company, under the same conditions, I doubt I would change my approach, but I would explore the different ‘fantasy name generators’ online as they might be able to do the work for me.

► Is there anything that you would like to correct?

■ Off the top of my head, there is nothing I would like to correct.

► Is there something else of interest that you can/would like to say concerning the names in Heroes of Might and Magic III?

■ Rarely is the creative process a sniper’s endeavor. It’s a lot of work, and a very messy process, more akin to a machine gunner limited only by time or the ammunition at hand.

Other Information not Directly Related to Names

■ The initial idea to follow Queen Catherine to Erathia was Paul’s idea. My contribution was her arriving and seeing her father’s kingdom in ruin, and questing to restore it.

■ After talking with Paul Rattner, I created the overall conceptual plot for HoMM3. Soon thereafter, I presented it to JVC. As Jon could have rejected it, his ‘approval’ was effectively ‘determining the general direction of the plot’.

► [What was the hero you spoke of having been introduced with the use of graphics from the intro cinematic for its portrait in the Designer Diary (here is the corresponding part)?]

■ I honestly don’t recall. Catherine seems to be the only logical choice.

► During the development of Heroes of Might and Magic III, was the target age rating a major factor in the process of content design? Did you and the rest of the team feel constrained by it?

■ No. Not in the least.

► How different would the game have been if there had not been a necessity to comply with the rating requirements?

■ I doubt much would have changed. Perhaps some blood effects on the Battlefield. There was no real motivation to make the game ‘more adult’. All of NWC’s games, well before the rating system was created, were relatively tame compared other games at the time.

► Was there something that the design team had to abandon in order to conform to the age rating?

■ No.

► I may note, it seems to me quite surprising that the game was able to get ‘Everyone’ rating (Might and Magic VI and VII had the rating ‘Teen’).

■ Do not be too surprised. The ESRB is a flawed system, fashioned and implemented by a flawed organization, run by flawed people. It’s a CYA operation created to avoid direct government regulation.

► Was there some kind of universe guide (universe bible) used to maintain consistency during the development of the game? If there was not, how was the consistency maintained?

■ Universe guide? Not really. Each game as relatively isolated to itself. If there was any continuity to be maintained (i.e. HoMM3 to MM7), we had Paul Rattner, myself, design documentation, and the games themselves. Why did HoMM4 take place on a ‘new world’? To avoid continuity issues.

► In the [Newsletter #12, August 2021] you mentioned a document you wrote with suggestions for the Heroes of Might and Magic III. If you still have this document, is there a possibility of divulging it in some form? That would certainly be very interesting from the historical perspective.

■ I’m assuming you are referring to the ‘brainstorming’ document I wrote for my interview with JVC. I have no idea what happened to this document. While most of what I wrote was creative, it was not ultimately ‘in the spirit of HoMM’. So, I discarded it.

► Was there a moment in the development process when the crystals had blue colour? Why was it decided to change their colour to blue and then back to red?

■ At one point, yes, Scott and I played around with the idea of the Crystal being blue, as to distinguish HoMM3 from HoMM2. In the end, we agreed it was more important to maintain consistency, and reverted to red.

► 5 out of 8 factions in the base game have designations that are more or less synonymous to each other (Castle, Rampart, Tower, Stronghold, Fortress). Is there an explanation for such a choice of words for them?

■ Originally, HoMM2 did not have formal ‘factions’. Instead, a player had ‘heroes’ and their associated ‘towns’; Knight Town, Warlock Town, Necromancer Town, etc. As I was trying to maintain some continuity with HoMM2, I tried to name the ‘towns’ using Castle-like synonyms. Thus, the Knight had a Castle, the Wizard a Tower, the Necromancer a Necropolis, etc. In hindsight, I should have pushed for a clean break and simply made factions, as I am doing with Fanstratics.

► Shortly before the Heroes of Might and Magic III’s release, Christian Vanover said the following on the official message board:

Well, here is an example of the cheat codes we were using for Heroes III:
Since JVC drives a Viper, the cheat for unlimited movement was VIPER.
Because of the movie, you could give yourself 5 archangels by typing MICHAEL.
You could also automatically win by typing HAPPYDANCE.
And so on, and so on. Anyway, as I mentioned in an earlier post, last week we removed all the cheat codes :(
The quote can be seen here (February 16, 1999 entry).

This statement, in the light of the story you told of how cheat codes in Heroes of Might and Magic III came to be, looks rather confusing, as it seems to contradict what you said on the subject. Do you know where Christian Vanover’s statement may have come from?

■ I don’t recall seeing this post, but I rarely had time to read Christian’s work on the official message board. As for the mentioned cheat codes, I only vaguely remember, but I suspect the codes VIPER, MICHAEL, and HAPPYDANCE were temporary codes. They were more than likely created by John Bolton, while he waited for me to deliver the ‘official’ codes referencing Monty Python and the Holy Grail. In the post, when Chris says ‘we removed all the cheat codes’, I suspect he was referring to the specific removal of all temporary codes, not ‘all cheat codes’ in general. I hope this makes sense.

[Greg Fulton’s comments on the article about the genesis of Heroes of Might and Magic series by Digital Antiquarian. Link to the article.]

■ - Most of the article’s background information was new to me.
- While I knew King’s Bounty was heavily influenced by ‘Titan’, I did not know it was also influenced by ‘Bounty Hunter’.
- I vaguely recall one small conversation about NWC’s attempt to make ‘pencil and paper’ games, and how it was a miserable failure.
- One thing the article misses is the clear influence of Civilization (1991) on HoMM1 (1995). I believe the huge success of Civilization pushed JVC to dump the approach of a singular ‘bounty hunting’ hero, and embrace the ‘world war’ mechanics portrayed in Civilization.

► In Heroes of Might and Magic III ogre magi possess an ability of casting bloodlust, although in D&D they have no such or any comparable magic ability among their special abilities. At the same time in Warcraft II ogre-magi have an identically named ability, which makes this coincidence peculiar. Were both cases based on some common source? Where did the ability to cast bloodlust come from if it is not in D&D?

■ In HoMM3, I gave the Ogre Magi the ability to cast Bloodlust, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Ogres and Bloodlust already existed in HoMM2. Secondly, pairing the existing Bloodlust spell with the existing Ogre troops was a clear acknowledgement of my admiration for WC2. Thirdly, because WC2 was very popular, it was redefining various fantasy stereotypes. As I believed embracing popular fantasy stereotypes was an important aspect of HoMM3, in this case, I designated the HoMM3 Ogres could be magi, and Ogre Magi could cast Bloodlust... just like WC2. […]

► So, that is the reason why orcs in Heroes of Might and Magic III became green?

■ Yes. This was the specific reason I wanted the orcs to be green. Originally, NWC made their orcs orange. I suspect this coloration was indirectly derived from Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1977), where orcs were basically pig-men. While pigs are essentially pink and white, orcs are supposed to be savage warriors, so this color scheme doesn’t make a lot of sense. So, in the end, I believe the artistic compromise was to make them orange.

► Do [Ogre Magi] possess also other magical abilities of their D&D specification, even if they are not represented mechanically in the game?

■ Ogre Mages in HoMM3 do not possess any other magical abilities.

► How important conformance to D&D specifications was considered, in relation to races, classes, cosmology, workings of magic. Were content creators, especially those involved in writing, instructed to follow these specifications where they did not contradict previously established facts?

■ No. No specific instructions were ever given, at least, not by myself.

Amelrix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Amelrix » 08 Aug 2023, 04:33

Information Pertaining to Particular Names

Nation Names

Antagarich

■ Antagarich was created using the words ‘antagonism’ and ‘rich’ with an extra ‘a’ thrown in to aid in pronunciation. Antagarich; rich in antagonism.

Erathia

■ Erathia started with ‘wrath’. Added ‘e-‘ meaning ‘out’ or ‘away’. Removed the ‘w’ as Ewrath was too obvious. Erath; outward wrath. Added ‘-ian’ meaning ‘relating to’. Didn’t like the sound of Erathian as the nation name, but worked as a descriptor of nationality. So, I truncated it to Erathia. Erathia; relating to outward wrath, which Catherine does in reclaiming the kingdom’s lost lands.

AvLee

■ Not sure about this one. More than likely it is simply derived from Danish or Norwegian ‘avle’ meaning ‘to grow, to breed, to create’. Add extra ‘e’ to the end. Capitalize the ‘L’ for pronunciation. AvLee; land of growth, land of creation.

Bracada

■ I have a vague recollection of this being correct [that the nation name “Bracada” was derived from the word “abracadabra”]. Whenever I saw a ‘very long’ word, I typically broke it down and looked for different arrangements I could use. In this case... Abraca? Dabra? Cadabra? Braca? Bracada? Bracada.

Deyja

■ Deyja is derived from Old Norse meaning ‘to die’. Deyja a barren wasteland, and home of the undead. Deyja is the ‘to die’ nation, the nation of death.

Eeofol

■ Difficult to recall my thinking for Eeofol. I think it was a play on ‘awful’ using the phonetic spelling as a starting point.

Nighon

► Was the nation name “Nighon” derived from the Japan’s endonym?

■ No. Nighon was originally derived from slurring together the words ‘Night’ and ‘On’. This also loosely described the Dungeon faction, which lived underground in a perpetual state of ‘night’. Thus, the ‘night’ was always ‘on’. This name also worked in relation to the relative location of the island of Nighon, which was nearby but not part of the main landmass. The island was ‘near’ but ‘over there’... or a ‘nearby continuation’.

Krewlod

■ Krewlod is a torquing of the phrase ‘Cruel Lot’, meaning ‘a group of cruel people’. This made sense for the Barbarians.

Tatalia

■ I’m drawing a blank with Tatalia. I’m guessing, but it may have been a play on the Hebrew name ‘Tahlia’ which means ‘morning dew’.

► In his story Christian Vanover, referring to Tatalia, uses the spelling “TaTalia” (“TaTalian Lowlands”). Do you know the reason for that?

■ I may have used an earlier spelling where the second ‘T’ was capitalized, and he was just adhering to what I was using at the time.

Vori

■ Vori is simply Latin for ‘ivory’. The Vori elves were ‘snow elves’ with snow white skin... or ivory skin. Vori Elves... Ivory Elves... White skinned elves.

► Speaking of the source of the nation name “Vori”, you said, “Vori is simply Latin for ‘ivory’”. I am not sure what you meant there, as Latin for ivory is “ebur”.

Your answer also indicates that it is unrelated to the Vori race from Star Trek […]. It also indicates that there is no relation to the eponymous village on Crete. Is it a correct understanding?

■ It’s one of two possibilities. Firstly, I may have used the Catalan noun Vori, meaning ivory. It is also possible I simply played with ‘ivory’ or ‘ivories’, and converted the word to ‘vori’. More than likely, I started with ‘ivory’ and found my way to the Catalan noun.

There is no callback to Star Trek, or the village on Crete.

Hero Names

Castle

Valeska

■ I don’t remember the exact origin of the name Valeska, but I believe it is largely Slavic. If I recall, Valeska was a female derivative of Vlad, which is a primarily a male name of Slavic origin meaning Prince, or Splendid Leader, or Glorious Ruler.

Edric
Desslock

■ I vaguely remember one Hero being named after a senior game journalist, but I can’t recall who... and I could be wrong.

► In one of the Christain Vanover’s stories [the story in question can be seen here] published on the 3DO Message board, there is a knight character, whose presentation is similar to that of other characters who appear in the game as heroes […], for which reason it produces an impression that he was intended as a Knight hero; however, his name does not appear in the game – the fact that appears somewhat strange. The name of the hero is Desslock, the name of a well-known (at the time of the game release and development) GameSpot employee.

I wonder if it could be the case you mentioned?

■ As soon as I saw the name Desslock, I immediately recognized it. Yes. This was the name of the Gamespot journalist, but I can’t recall why this name didn’t make the cut. I think he may have left Gamespot, while H3 was in production, so I left it off the list. It was actually JVC’s request I put Desslock’s name in the game, as he was one of the older journalist who reviewed Might and Magic games from the earlier days.

► If I understand the situation right, then the name of one of the Knight heroes in the game was changed without a change of the corresponding hero’s identity itself. If it is so, it means that the character that in the Christian Vanover’s [story] goes by the name of Desslock is actually one of the Knight heroes presented in the game.

■ I would say this is correct. Though I can’t recall exactly, more than likely, I simply changed the Hero name and left the Hero biography untouched.

► Thus, it becomes quite meaningful to know what the name, Desslock, was changed to. […] Given the fact that the number of Knight heroes is limited to eight, and that the character in the story was male, and then considering that of the Knight heroes in the game it could not be Orrin, Lord Haart (they are featured in the story as other, different characters, and so are positively distinct from the one in question; besides, Lord Haart is a legacy character), Christian (he could not be this character for game’s storyline related reasons) it only leaves one eligible Knight hero – Edric. Can you confirm or deny this conclusion?

■ This I cannot recall. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Edric. To me, your process of elimination seems very reasonable.

■ I honestly don’t remember the reason why I removed Desslock from the list of Hero names. I vaguely recall JVC becoming disgruntled with him, but this is merely a guess on my part. Perhaps you could research Desslock’s review of M&M6. If it was a less than good review, this would make sense. It is also quite possible I simply removed it because we had too many ‘inside jokes’: Mullich (David Mullich), Christian (Christian Vanover), Astral (aka the Astral Wizard), etc.

■ I could be completely wrong, but at best, I have a very vague recollection of a passing conversation I had with JVC. I thought we had too many ‘inside references’ to real world people, so I simply removed or altered the associated names. He didn’t have any objection, and I do not remember what specific names were changed.

Sorsha

■ Part of my work was researching the meaning of individual names. This usually involved cross referencing, or reverse referencing, basic terms against associated names. In this case, Sorsha, means ‘woman who shines brightly’. This fits with a female Knight from the Castle faction, which has a holy culture about it. Picking the name Sorsha had no relation to the character of the same name in the film Willow.

Christian

■ Christian was named after Christian Vanover. I was poking fun at him with this.

■ Christian […], requested one of the Heroes be named Christian (for himself).

■ [Christian Vanover] requested one of the Knights be named Sir Christian, as he wanted a Hero named after himself.

I agreed as I thought it would be fun. It was this interaction which paved the way for the eventual addition of Sir Mullich.

■ To my recollection, ‘Christian’ did not replace any previous Hero names. When he made the request, I had yet to create a single Hero name.

Tyris

■ Not sure about this one. Probably from Tyyris (Finnish) mean ‘expensive’.

■ I don’t recall. It’s possible it was derived from ‘tyyris’ or ‘tyrus’.

Sir Mullich

■ Sir Mullich was named after Sir Mullich. We did this because we couldn’t resist putting his goofy portrait in the game.

► Your words indicate that the hero Sir Mullich was created during the development of the base game, and David Mullich account of this case corroborates it; however, this hero appeared only in the expansion. What was the reason that it was not included in the base game?

■ This is a mistake on both my and David’s part. After more than 20 years, while I do recall a great deal about HoMM3’s development, chronology and dates can be a problem (at some point I need to build a timeline). Both myself and David thought Sir Mullich was created during RoE. This is incorrect. Sir Mullich was created during AB. My mistake.

Rion

■ Rion is a boy’s name of Gaelic origin, and its meaning is “king”.

Sanya

► Is the name “Sanya” of Arabian origin?

■ Arabic or Indian, meaning Brilliant, or Splendid, or Fortunate.

Loynis

■ Possibly derived from ‘lysis’, an English noun meaning a gradual recovery from disease.

Rampart

Mephala

► There is a figure named Mephala in The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. [Did] the eponymous hero’s name [originate] from there?

■ I personally have never played Daggerfall, so the name did not come from me. There were some names submitted by fans, via the Astral Wizard website, so it could have come from there.

Ufretin

■ More than likely I torqued the French meaning of ‘fretin’, which means ‘a young fish’ or ‘the small fry’. This would make sense as the Hero is a dwarf.

Jenova

■ I believe Jenova, Aeris, and Sephinroth were suggested by a tester. Obviously, these were taken from Final Fantasy 7. While JRPGs are not my thing, I understand their appeal and have a lot of respect for the games and genre. In the end, I liked the names and the callbacks, so... I didn’t mind adding them.

■ These names could have also been suggested by the Astral Wizard community. I don’t exactly recall.

Thorgrim

► The provenance of the heroes’ names “Nagash” and “Malekith” appears unquestionable, but it seems somewhat less certain that the names “Thorgrim” and “Gretchin” originate from Warhammer (Fantasy Battle (where there is a dwarf character by the name of Thorgrim Grudgebearer) and 40,000, respectively). Can you confirm that?

■ I cannot honestly recall, but I suspect I ‘lifted’ Thorgrim. I am not so sure concerning Gretchin.

► Was there a particular reason for that?

■ Myself, like so many, really liked the creativity of Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40K. It definitely had its influence on HoMM3.

Coronius

■ As for the other two, I suspect I found those names via a ‘meaning’ search. I had a lot of names to generate, so one of the things I did, in addition to all the other things, was to ‘reverse look-up’ name meanings. For example...

• Coronius means ‘honesty, sacrificer, admirer’.
  • Inteus means ‘capability, strength’.
Uland

■ Possibly derived from ‘ulan’, where one of the potential meanings is ‘rain’. This would make sense for a Druid with Cure, which is a Water spell.

Elleshar

■ Drawing a blank on this one.

Melodia

[See the entry for the name “Astral”.]

Alagar

■ More than likely taken from Galician ‘alagar’, meaning ‘to capsize, to sink, to flood’. Association is to water, and this Hero casts Ice Bolt, a frozen form of water.

Aeris

[See the entry for the name “Jenova”.]

Tower

Piquedram

■ Can’t recall.

[See also the entry for the name “Astral”]

Neela

► The changes of the names “Neelam” and “Fion” seem to have had a purpose of getting a feminine form of the names [the evidence of these changes is present in the files of the leaked Sega Dreamcast version of the game]. Perhaps they were caused by a change of sex of the corresponding heroes?

■ Can’t recall. Possibly. I wouldn’t be surprised if I double checked Fion, then saw Fiona/Fionna. It’s also possible I simply liked Neela over Neelam because it sounds more feminine.

Torosar

Fafner

► Is the name “Fafner” taken from the dragon Fafnir of Norse mythology?

■ I believe so.

Rissa

■ A female name of American origin meaning ‘Illustrious’.

Iona

■ I suspect it is derived from Norwegian Nynorsk, ‘iona’ being the plural of ‘ion’.

Astral

■ Astral was named after the webmaster for the Astral Wizard website.

■ The Astral Wizard website was the only real serious HoMM fan site in existence at the time. The site was instrumental in my putting together the HoMM2 Gold edition, because it listed and ranked various community made maps. Phil McCrum ran the site and helped get the word out regarding HoMM3, so I wanted to ‘do something nice’ by putting Astral in the game. Of course... later on... Phil was also instrumental in getting the Forge cancelled.

[In the archive of the Astral Wizard website there can be found among suggestions for Heroes of Might and Magic III the following entry (can be accessed by this link (wish 826)):

Names I submitted for heroes as requested by NWC (see Crystal Ball Page): Piquedram (wizard); loves clockwork things. Lord Straker (knight); tough, ironfist in velvet glove, in your face to right a wrong. Melodia (sorceress); has a musical bent. Dune Rider (barbarian). Bone Dancer (necromancer); reeks of death and evil. GoldDrake (warlock); young, arrogant. Astral (wizard); dark red robe, dark purple pointy hat, paprika hair, good-looking but with touches of ‘Wonderland/Looking Glass’ eccentricism. (I just HAD to submit that one!) from Astral Wizard (AstralWizard@astralwizard.com).

The following is Greg Fulton’s comment on it]

■ This bit of information goes to show the imperfectness of my memory. While I recall naming Astral after Phil McCrum, I don’t recall it being part of the Wish List. Furthermore, I could have sworn I had created the names for...

• Melodia
  • Piquedram
  • Straker
Obviously, I didn’t. Regardless, I vaguely remember ‘researching’ them. Perhaps I looked up their component parts, to justify their inclusion. Difficult to say.

Daremyth

■ Not sure about this one. I suspect I simply mashed ‘dare’ and ‘myth’ together, but it is also possible ‘Daremyth’ was a suggestion from either the Community or one of the NWC testers.

Solmyr

■ A play on ‘soul’ and ‘mirror’.

Inferno

Fiona

[See entry for the name “Neela”]

Rashka

■ Drawing a blank on this one. Probably derived from Finnish ‘raskas’, adjective meaning grim, dismal, depressed. Could have unintentionally lifted it from the Magic the Gathering card of the same name.

Calh

■ Can’t recall.

Nymus

■ Possibly a nonsense word, in fitting with the style of the Inferno, derived from ‘eponymous’. Eponymous > Nymous > Nymus.

Ayden

■ Aidan is primarily a male name of Irish origin meaning Little Fire. Ayden is an English, alternative form of Aidan.

Xyron

■ Not sure about this one. Could be a complete nonsense word. Possibly a play on Xorn from the 1977 Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual, but I doubt it.

Axsis

■ More than likely derived from ‘axises’; an English noun, the misspelling of axes. Mistakenly used for the plural of axis.

Olema

■ Alternative form of ulema, from Arabic (ʿulamāʾ), plural of (ʿālim, “learned one”).

Zydar

■ Drawing a blank on this one. Possibly derived from ‘zidar’, Romanian noun for mason or bricklayer, but I doubt it.

Xarfax

■ Drawing a blank on this one. I suspect it is a nonsense word made to fit in with the stylistic ‘x’ and ‘z’ theme of the Inferno.

Xeron

■ More than likely derived from ‘xeronic’; an English adjective relating to xeronic acid or its derivatives.

Necropolis

Straker

■ Probably derived from the English word Strake, meaning (obsolete) a simple past tense of strike.

[See also the entry for the name “Astral”.]

Vokial

■ I believe this is one of those words where I torqued the pronunciation to arrive at a different spelling, but I can’t recall the original term from which it was derived.

Moandor

■ Moandor may have been derived from D&D Forgotten Realms, but I honestly don’t remember.

► As you indicated that there were intentional connections of names to thematically relevant words, and you said that the name “Moandor” may or may not have been borrowed from the Forgotten Realms setting, I would like to ask, may this name be related to the word “moan”?

■ I would say, ‘yes’. Thinking about it, I may have taken ‘moan’ and mashed it together with the suffix -or. I don’t know about you, but when I say ‘moanor’ aloud... quickly and repeatedly... I tend to insert a ‘d’ into the pronunciation. Thus, resulting is ‘Moandor’.

Charna

► Is the name “Charna” is connected to the word “charnel”?

■ I would say, ‘yes’. I suspect I took ‘charnel’ and changed the suffix to -a, thus arriving at ‘Charna’.

Isra

■ A gender-neutral name of Arabic origin meaning ‘Journey Of The Night’.

Clavius

■ From my research, it was my understanding Clavius is from the Latinization of German. Clavius meaning ‘responsible, disciplined’.

Galthran

■ Can’t recall.

Septienna

Thant

■ I believe Thant is related to Thanatos; the Greek god of death. Thant is a Necromancer, so it fits with the theme.

Xsi

■ Can’t recall.

Vidomina

■ I suspect this name is a mash-up of the prefix ‘Vid-‘ (clearly visible) and ‘domina’, (Latin, feminine of dominus; a master, possessor, ruler, lord, etc.). I think I was aiming for something like ‘clearly visible lord’ or ‘natural leader’.

Nagash

[See the entry for the name “Thorgrim”.]

Dungeon

Arlach

■ Can’t recall. I pronounced this name ‘R-lock’.

Dace

■ Can’t recall. Possibly a synonym for ‘dart’.

Damacon

Gunnar

■ Gunnar was a word I ran across while cross referencing different words for War. Gunnr means ‘battle’ or ‘war’. Gunnr is a good generic name for an Overlord Hero, but by itself, I thought Gunnr would be too confusing to pronounce. So, I went with Gunnar (old Norse) in place of Gunnr (old Norse). Obviously, both are related to one another.

Synca

■ Possibly derived from ‘sync’.

Shakti

► Were the names “Shakti” and “Shiva” taken from Indian mythology?

■ For the most part... yes. In hindsight, these were lazy choices, and I should have torqued the meanings more.

Jaegar

■ Jaegar is related to [the name] Jaeger. Jaeger is derived from Jager or ‘hunter’.

■ A male name of German origin meaning ‘Hunter’.

Malekith

[See the entry for the name “Thorgrim”.]

Jeddite

■ Possibly a suggestion given to me, with the obvious play on ‘Jedi’ from Star Wars.

Geon

■ English. A hypothetical electromagnetic or gravitational wave held together in a confined region by the gravitational attraction of its own field energy.

► Your statement that the name “Geon” comes from a word meaning “a hypothetical electromagnetic or gravitational wave held together in a confined region by the gravitational attraction of its own field energy” comes as rather odd to me (or maybe one can even say highly idiosyncratic) in that the name of the hero was based on a concept from modern physics (and rather obscure one at that), which is absolutely alien to the faction theme and to the theme of the game in general.

■ It’s possible I was incorrect. It’s difficult to recall after 20+ years. The point is this... I liked Geon as a name. It has several potential meanings, such as ‘a large unit of time, used to measure gradual geological change’ or the mashing up of ‘geological +‎ eon’. Regardless, it loosely fits with the Dungeon’s underground theme, so I used it. It was created backwards, not forwards.

Deemer

■ English. A judge; an adjudicator.

Sephinroth

[See the entry for the name “Jenova”.]

Darkstorn

► Could you please explain how this name was built up? (It should be mentioned that in Heroes of Might and Magic IV this name was retconned to “Darkstorm”, which led some people to believe that it was the originally intended form.)

■ In my old HoMM3 documentation, the Hero is named Darkstorn... not Darkstorm. Is it possibly a typo? Yes. Was it a typo? Doubtful. If I correctly recall, it was originally Darkstorm, but I mistyped it Darkstorn. After looking at it... I liked it. It almost felt like a name derived from a regional accent (i.e. New Yawk instead of New York). So, I kept the ‘typo’.

Stronghold

Gurnisson

■ Can’t recall. Possibly a suggestion.

Jabarkas

■ For some reason, I think was a suggestion from Christian Vanover.

■ This may have been one of the names Christian created, which I kept.

Shiva

[See the entry for the name “Shiva”]

Gretchin

[See the entry for the name “Thorgrim”]

Krellion

Tyraxor

■ Possibly derived from ‘tyrant’, where I added ‘xor’ for style.

Gird

■ Simple word usage. To provide, equip, or invest, as with power or strength.

Vey

■ Possibly a Walloon verb, meaning ‘to see’, which would make sense for a Battle Mage.

Dessa

■ A female name of Russian origin meaning ‘Long Journey’.

Terek

► Is the name “Terek” related to the eponymous river name?

■ No. This relationship is coincidental.

■ Possibly from Crimean Tatar ‘terek’, meaning ‘tree’, but I think this is a stretch. Can’t recall.

Zubin

■ There is a Persian connection, but it also has Indian, Arabic, and Hebrew roots. It basically means ‘spear’ in different forms.

Oris

■ Alternative spelling of auris, which is plural of ‘aura’.

■ I admit my research jumps around, but the progression was... ‘aura’ (English) to ‘aura’ (Latin) to ‘auris’ (Latin) to the alternative spelling ‘oris’ (Latin).

Saurug

■ Possibly derived from Iclandic ‘saurugur’, meaning ‘dirty, filthy’.

Fortress

Tazar

■ Tazar is more than likely ‘Taz’ and ‘-ar.’ Taz meaning ‘a nickname for someone who is active, ferocious, or with a great appetite’. ‘-ar’ meaning ‘of or relating to’. End result is ‘Tazar’; implying a ferocious person.

Alkin

■ Possibly taken from Middle English ‘alkin’, meaning ‘of all kinds’.

Korbac

■ This name has a Slovak origin, meaning ‘whip’, but I think it was one of Christian’s suggestions.

Mirlanda

► Is the name “Mirlanda” in some way related to the name “Miranda”, or is this relation coincidental?

■ It is related. I was simply playing with the spelling and liked the adjustment.

Rosic

■ Can’t recall. Possibly derived from Polish ‘rosić’, but I doubt it.

Voy

■ Possibly taken from ‘veoir’, meaning ‘to see’ or ‘to perceive using vision’.

Verdish

■ Can’t recall.

Merist

■ Can’t recall.

Styg

■ Truncated from ‘stygian’.

Tiva

■ I believe it was a female name of Native American origin, and means ‘dance’.

Conflux

Monere

► Is the hero name “Monere” formed from the Latin verb “moneo”?

■ I believe this is correct. Monere is a Planeswalker with a special in Psychic Elementals. ‘Warn. Advise’. You could reach back to Proto-Indo-European ‘men-’ meaning ‘to think, mind’.

Pasis

► Are the names of heroes “Pasis”, “Labetha”, “Aenain”, “Brissa”, derived from some common words?

■ I don’t recall the origins of Pasis, Labetha, Aenain, Brissa. It’s possible they are ‘truncations’ which satisfied my ‘look and feel’ requirement.

Thunar

■ I would say the word [from which it was derived] is Old Saxon or Old Dutch (meaning ‘Thunder’), but honestly... this looks like a screw-up on my part. It’s a good name, but thematically incorrect. It should be attached to a Hero with an ‘air’ theme. Instead, it is obviously attached to a Hero with an ‘earth’ theme.

Aenain
Brissa

[See the entry for the name “Pasis”]

Grindan

► Is the hero name “Grindan” connected to the Old English verb “grindan”?

■ I suspect ‘yes’. Grindan is a good, general, Hero name... ‘to destroy, to crush, to grind’. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of these names were ‘left over’ from Restoration of Erathia.

Inteus

[See the entry for the name “Coronius”]

Labetha

[See the entry for the name “Pasis”]

Town Names

Castle

Alexandretta

► Was the town name “Alexandretta” taken from the eponymous medieval city in the Western Asia?

■ I was aware of the association, but I simply liked the name. It looked medieval, sounded medieval, and was relatively easy to pronounce. Ultimately, I didn’t expect people to give it too much thought.

Armitage

► Is the town name “Armitage” in some way related to the eponymous place-name in England, or is this relation purely coincidental?

■ Not directly, but ‘yes’. Originally, I was going for Hermitage (hermit dwelling) or Ermitage (hideaway), but Armitage had better modern insinuations (i.e. place of arms or armory).

Brettonia

► Is there a connection of town names “Middleheim”, “Morganheim”, “Brettonia” to the Warhammer Fantasy Battle’s city names “Middenheim” and “Morgheim” and the nation “Bretonnia”, respectively?

■ Yes. Clearly these town names were ‘lifted’ from Warhammer Fantasy. I honestly don’t recall how they came to be in the game, but more than likely, I put them in because I liked Warhammer Fantasy and liked the names.

Castellatus

► “Castellatus” seems to be built with the Latin ending “-us”. Was it used just as a stylistic device to impart a flair of classical Antiquity to the name?

■ Castellatus is taken directly from Medieval Latin castellātus (“fortified, castellate”). It was not ‘built’, but simply used as I found it via my research.

Claxton

► Is the town name “Claxtone” in some way related to the place-name “Claxton”, borne by several settlements in England?

■ Yes. If I remember correctly, Claxtone was originally a Hero name, derived from the names of families living in Claxton, England. It didn’t make the cut as a Hero name, but I thought the variation on the spelling made for a good Town name.

► Although you said that the town name “Claxtone” was derived from a family name, it may also be viewed as alluding to the word “stone”.

■ Agreed.

Kanan

► All the town names of the Castle faction in a more or less straightforward manner can be related either to some words of English language or to some traditional English place-names; however, it does not seem to be the case with the town name “Kanan”. Can some reference point be identified there?

■ Kanan is the Arabic spelling of Canaan. There is no strong agenda regarding this Town name. Canaan is typically considered part of ‘the promised land’ or the ‘land of plenty’. In this case, for myself, Kanan implied a ‘Town of plenty’.

Kildare

► Was the town name “Kildare” borrowed from the historical Irish town Kildare?

■ I was aware of the association, but I simply liked the name. In a modern context, ‘Kildare’ sounds like ‘Kill-dare’. This could mean, I dare you to kill, or I dare you to attack us. For me this Town name comes across as the title for a Town full of bravado or defiance.

Middleheim

[See the entry for the town name “Brettonia”]

Whistledale

■ More than likely, my research ran dry with ‘Castle’ and I reverted to ‘word mash-ups’.

Whistledale (Whistle + Dale). Whistle; to produce shrill or flutelike musical sounds. Dale; a valley. Valley of music.

Whitemoon

■ Whitemoon (White + Moon). Not the most creative name. I imagined a castle made of white stone, ‘white as the moon’.

Rampart

Bath'iere

► The town name “Bath'iere” is the only name in the game that uses an apostrophe in its form. Does it have a particular reference point?

■ I’m drawing a blank on this one. It’s possible I simply inserted an apostrophe to hopefully aid in the pronunciation.

► Is there a relation of the town name “Bath'iere” to the Middle English word “baþiere”, meaning “water-pot”?

■ I honestly don’t recall how I arrived at this particular name. Obviously, I derived it from something, but strongly doubt it was ‘baþiere’. If I were to guess, I would point at ‘battere’.

Ceiliedgh

■ This is a tough one. It’s either Scottish Gaelic (cèilidh), or Irish (céilí). Old Irish (céile) is an unlikely possibility. If I were to guess, I would say it was derived from ‘ceilidh’, meaning ‘an informal social gathering with music, dancing, and storytelling’.

Marishen

► Is the town name “Marishen” related to the word “marish”?

■ No, ‘Marishen’ is not related to ‘marish’. As for its origins, I don’t honestly remember, but it may have been Middle English for ‘to marry’.

Tower

Ayer

► Is there a connection in the town name “Ayer” to the eponymous real place-name or to some other name or word of the same form?

■ No. Ayer was used because it looked and sounded like ‘Air’. Ayer was part of the Tower faction, which was characterized by being up in the mountains, or up in the air.

Mystos

■ I don’t recall [where the name came from]. If I were to guess, I would suggest it was probably a word/suffix mashup. More than likely derived from ‘mystery’ and ‘-ous’, creating ‘Mystos’. It’s implied meaning would be ‘full of mystery’.

Tirith

► Is it correct to assume that the town name “Tirith” was borrowed from Tolkien’s legendarium?

■ Yes, but I backed into this one. I wasn’t looking to incorporate Tolkien, but in my medieval word research, Minas Tirith came up. Minas Tirith means the Tower of the Guard. This made sense for the Tower faction. Thus Tirith becomes Guard or Watch or Watchguard.

Valtara

■ Possibly taken from ‘valtará’, which is the third person singular future of ‘valtar’, which means... to knock down, fall down, to beat (of the heart).

Ashcombe
Ashden
Blackburn

■ Your assumptions about Ash [that it refers to cinder rather than the tree species] and Burn [that it has the meaning “damage caused by heat” rather than “stream”] are correct. Ash meaning ‘cinder’. Burn meaning ‘damage caused by heat’.

► Can it be considered a reinterpretation of the elements of traditional English toponymy?

■ Yes. These are ‘Inferno’ town names, so they do play with convention. Overall, the goal is to drive home the common words ‘ash’ and ‘burn’, but they tend to ‘work out’ in their respective compositions. Blackburn can mean ‘burned black’ (i.e. a town burned black by fire, heat, etc.). Blackburn, as you point out, could also mean ‘black stream’, which could be envisioned as a burning town adjacent to a stream, filled with ash, and turned black because of it.

► [Is the name “Blackburn” related to the identical town name in Heroes of Might and Magic II?]

■ Can’t recall. I believe it is coincidence.

Stygius

■ Stygius was derived from Stygian. Frequently, I would look up a common English word, drill down, and find the Latin origin. In the end, I would use the Latin form.

Necropolis

Cessacioun

► Does the town name “Cessacioun” use the Middle English form of the word “cessation”?

■ Yes. Cessation; being brought to an end. This is a Necropolis Town, a place where ‘life’ is brought to an end.

► Was the Middle English form of the word specifically used in the town name “Cessacioun”?

■ If I correctly recall, ‘Yes’. Cessation (Middle English cessacioun, from Old French cessation, from Latin cessātiō)

Dungeon

Castigare

■ Castigare (Latin) is related to Castigo which means ‘punishment’, or to castigate, which fits with the Dungeon faction cultural theme.

Dragonnade

■ It is related to Dragonnade (French), from ‘Dragon’. No secret agenda here, it’s just a good Town name, and fits with the Dungeon’s Red and Black Dragons.

Malev

■ Malev was derived from, and a truncation of ‘Malevolent’. ‘Malevolent’ meaning; ‘having ill will, or wishing harm to others’. This works with the cultural theme of the Dungeon faction.

Veks

► You indicated that many names are actually derived from ordinary words. In this light the following connections between town names and English words may be conjectured:

• “Veks” (Dungeon town name) — “vex
  • “Kragg” (Stronghold town name) — “crag”
  • “Slau” (Stronghold town name) — “slay”
Could you comment on their acceptability?

■ It’s been a while, but ‘yes’, I would accept all three of your analogies.

Stronghold

Bocc

■ Possibly taken from ‘bòcc’, the plural of ‘bòcia’ (bottle).

Dolere

■ Dolere (Latin) is simply ‘dolere’, which means to hurt, to cause pain, etc.

Drago Breach
Dragonspire

► [Is there some explanation for the reference to dragons in the town names of the faction that does not include dragons?]

■ Explanation? Not really. In my mind, names like Drago Breach and Dragonspire tend to represent ‘conquered towns’ with kept names.

Kragg

[See the entry for the town name “Veks”]

Morganheim

[See the entry for the town name “Brettonia”]

Rovener

■ Possibly derived from ‘roven’, meaning to ‘rob’ or ‘steal’.

Sandflash

■ I don’t recall how Sandflash originated, but I doubt it came from a real-world source. More than likely, it was either a ‘mash-up’ of ‘Sand’ and ‘Flash’, or I simply twisted the word ‘Sandblast’.

► If I understand your answer correctly, the part “flash” in the name is intended to have the meaning “a burst of light” and not “a pool”. Is it so?

■ As best as I can recall... yes.

Slau

[See the entry for the town name “Veks”]

Tormina

► Should the town name “Tormina” be traced back to the Latin word “tormentum”? There is also a Latin word “tormina”, however, its meaning (“colic”) does not seem thematically appropriate.

■ Yes. Tormina has Latin origins. Tormina also sounds a lot like ‘Torment’. Tormina implies acute abdominal pain, or simply acute pain. This was a Stronghold Town name, and thematically, the Stronghold believed pain gave rise to strength.

Fortress

Marshank

► Was the town name “Marshank” borrowed from the Redwall series of books?

■ No. I suspect this was originally a Hero name, converted into to Town name. Marshank is an uncommon but known surname. For me, it made sense as a Fortress Town name because of ‘marsh’ in the word. Fortress is obviously a swamp or ‘marsh’ theme civilization.

Conflux

Fenderen

► Is the town name “Fenderen” related to the English word “fender”?

■ Yes and no. Fenderen was primarily a play on English ‘fen’. Middle Dutch ‘deren’ means to harm or to hurt, but the goal was never for Fenderen to mean Harmful Bog or something along those lines. It’s very clumsy, and more suited to Fortress, but in my mind it satisfied the ‘water’ angle for Conflux.

Fleogan Mills

► What is the supposed literal meaning, i.e. the inner form, of the town name “Fleogan Mills”?

■ If I understand your question correctly, Fleogan Mills would be ‘the flying mills’ or ‘the flying mill’.

Froisan

► Is the town name “Froisan” connected to the Old High German verb “friosan”? If it is, was the change in its form deliberate or should it be considered a typo?

■ LOL. Good catch. I never noticed it, but I believe you are correct. I believe Froisan is a typo of Friosan; Old High German for ‘to freeze’. Do keep in mind, there are example of Froisan being used as a proper name (which itself may have been a typo).

Massein

■ I don’t recall the origins of Massein […].

Massein may have been a play on ‘mass’.

Solium

► Should the town name “Solium” be considered as derived from the Latin “solium” or “solum”, […]?

■ I don’t honestly remember. Solum is a safe bet, but it is also possible I somehow found my way to Solim via Sol (English).

Styriam

■ I don’t recall the origins of […] Styriam.

Styriam may have been derived from Styrian or Stiria.

Vluchton

► Is the town name “Vluchton” derived from Dutch/Middle Dutch noun “vlucht ”/ verb “vluchten”?

■ Definitely ‘vlucht’; ‘flight (air)’.

► Should the form used be also interpreted as the infinitive form?

■ I honestly hadn’t thought about the Town name in this form. I suspect you would know how to answer this better than I.

Moseent1982
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Moseent1982 » 24 Aug 2023, 04:49

Thank you for the valuable content you provide.

Return to “Heroes I-IV”