Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 15.02.2022]

Unread postby raekuul » 30 Mar 2022, 20:27

Torrents are harder to push changes through, since they check file integrity - you would have to make a "new" torrent for each branch of each release. plus lots of ISPs choke torrent-like traffic.

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 30 Mar 2022, 22:04

Well yeah, you'll need to re-create the torrent with each update and update the link, just like re-creating an archive of each release and posting a new link to it (which is what happens now). Although if you publish the torrent on a tracker, you'll usually have an option of updating it "in place" which at least preserves the link. And it's possible to torrent several files (e.g. branch archives) at once, with users choosing what to download. As for ISP traffic, this problem can't be that widespread seeing as it's the first time I hear of it. It's just, when you have files of this size that are downloaded this often, a torrent is really the preferred solution, at least to filehosters. It was created specifically for this purpose, after all.

Velihras
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Velihras » 01 Apr 2022, 20:01

Hey! I'll go in once again for another playthrough and I remember a thought I had in my previous runs:
In late game with all the buffs, I remember that there is a cap in how fast a character can attack. And I think I kinda came to a conclusion that the thought Axes are not that good because they are slow was completely false because at least with haste all your characters attack at the fasted speed possible. Can someone explain how it works?

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 01 Apr 2022, 21:43

Here's GrayFace's treatise on recovery. Axes also suck because of unremarkable damage and lack of good perks (their GM debuff didn't even work until a recent MMPatch version), but yeah, with enough bonuses melee classes can conceivably hit the recovery cap even with an axe.

Velihras
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Velihras » 01 Apr 2022, 22:49

Thank you! It feels so good to have real fans in control! Thanks to all the people who make the games better so long after their release!

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 01 Apr 2022, 23:45

So, I was just playing the merge starting from MM7, and I hit a game crash bug upon trying to exit Thunderfist Mountain to Nighon for the first time. So far, I have not found any workaround, so I may have to stop playing the merge over it.

Does anyone know what's up with the bug and/or any possible workaround?

EDIT: Okay, so after exiting the game to restart my computer and then making this post, when I restarted the game, the exit worked. I don't know if it was the computer restart or the game restart that worked around the crash bug. I'm still curious if it is a known bug and if anyone else has encountered it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 02 Apr 2022, 20:49

So I've updated more or less successfully (Base) Merge [2022-02-15] to MMExtension of 2021-12-22. Beta-testers are welcomed.
https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/arc ... -mmext.zip

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 02 Apr 2022, 21:01

Question: If you start a human necromancer in Jadame using an MM6 portrait, when you promote to lich, will the portrait be replaced with a lich portrait? I would rather this not happen, and my current plan is to just use original MM8 so I can use MM8che to change the portrait back to normal.

If the portrait doesn't switch for MM6 or MM7 portraits, that would change things for me.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 04 Apr 2022, 05:36

BMJedi wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 21:01 Question: If you start a human necromancer in Jadame using an MM6 portrait, when you promote to lich, will the portrait be replaced with a lich portrait? I would rather this not happen, and my current plan is to just use original MM8 so I can use MM8che to change the portrait back to normal.

If the portrait doesn't switch for MM6 or MM7 portraits, that would change things for me.
You didn't specify what you're using and what exactly you want. So next will be guesses.
First, different starting region or chosen portrait wouldn't change anything.
1. You want your character not to convert into undead. For Base Merge make sure you don't have Lich Jar into this character inventory - character will be promoted to Master Necromancer. Also you can convert in MM6 from Master Wizard to Master Necromancer. AFAIK there is no option to become of Lich class being non-undead.
For Revamp just choose "Promote to Master Necromancer" topic (rather than "Promote to Power Lich") after promotion quest completion.
2. You want your character to convert into undead but preserve character face. For Base Merge it is not possible - race is determined by portrait.
For Revamp you can set Merge.Settings.Conversions.PreservePicOnLichPromotion in MMMergeSettings.lua.

dechet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dechet » 04 Apr 2022, 07:49

Hello,

Thanks for this merge ! Since I am following the project since long time ago, I have the french translation (maybe outdated) if someone are interested.
By the way the localisations links are dead at the first page, so it is better than nothing :)

Best regards

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 04 Apr 2022, 20:45

@cthscr, Thanks for answering. What I needed to clarify is that I would be starting and finishing on Jadame using the base Merge. I use the Merge for other reasons than connecting the games.

It sounds like the short version of the answer to my question is "Yes, any portrait starting as necromancer and promoting to lich will be replaced with lich portrait. This feature cannot be changed."

So, my choices are to play original MM8 and use MM8che, or play the Merge and just don't promote to lich, accepting having no grandmaster elemental magic as a character limitation. I understand there's probably a way to use continent hopping to also start on Jadame but avoid lichdom, starting as a necromancer on Jadame. I probably won't use that solution since I don't like the continent hopping.

Thank you very much for your time.

gtsintaris
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gtsintaris » 07 Apr 2022, 18:27

Hi I have been trying to promote my Priest, by repairing the tem,ple. I have both the stone cutter and the carpenter hired, by they do get removed when entering the Free Haven temple. Also I have a knight and I have completed the first promotion quest. I get the sparkling noise in castle Temper but no one gets the promotion and the honarary ones not get the log entry.... Is the promotion system broken for MM6? I have a group of 5 and the 5th member is a dawrven knight. and use the revamp mod

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 07 Apr 2022, 19:59

gtsintaris wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 18:27 Is the promotion system broken for MM6?
No.

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 07 Apr 2022, 21:08

gtsintaris wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 18:27 Hi I have been trying to promote my Priest, by repairing the tem,ple. I have both the stone cutter and the carpenter hired, by they do get removed when entering the Free Haven temple. Also I have a knight and I have completed the first promotion quest. I get the sparkling noise in castle Temper but no one gets the promotion and the honarary ones not get the log entry.... Is the promotion system broken for MM6? I have a group of 5 and the 5th member is a dawrven knight. and use the revamp mod
There should be a "Promote Knights" dialog option at that point (do this like you do for skill training - select the character who needs the advancement before you click the option). MM6/7 have to use the MM8 system in order to support the split promotion options (in case you want one Knight to advance to Black Knight and another to Champion). Check your dialogs again.

gtsintaris
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gtsintaris » 07 Apr 2022, 21:17

raekuul wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 21:08
gtsintaris wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 18:27 Hi I have been trying to promote my Priest, by repairing the tem,ple. I have both the stone cutter and the carpenter hired, by they do get removed when entering the Free Haven temple. Also I have a knight and I have completed the first promotion quest. I get the sparkling noise in castle Temper but no one gets the promotion and the honarary ones not get the log entry.... Is the promotion system broken for MM6? I have a group of 5 and the 5th member is a dawrven knight. and use the revamp mod
There should be a "Promote Knights" dialog option at that point (do this like you do for skill training - select the character who needs the advancement before you click the option). MM6/7 have to use the MM8 system in order to support the split promotion options (in case you want one Knight to advance to Black Knight and another to Champion). Check your dialogs again.
You mean during the dialogue with Osric Temper and click each portrait for promotion? If yes that is what I did but no go...

gtsintaris
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gtsintaris » 07 Apr 2022, 21:19

cthscr wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 19:59
gtsintaris wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 18:27 Is the promotion system broken for MM6?
No.
Good to hear, this means I have done something wrong! I've also created a thread on gitlab --> https://gitlab.com/templayer/mmmerge/-/ ... _904949375

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 07 Apr 2022, 21:55

Okay, here it is: Merge Pack 2022-04-08 (mega) - nomedia, use with Media 2021 archive.
Changes:
* MMExtension 2021-12-22 (several bugs of MMExtension 2.2 were fixed)
* MM8Patch 2.5.7
* Apollo and Odin should have proper stats
* Arena monsters generation should be fixed (I hope) - allow Elementals, disallow NoArena
* Equipable items that used the same icons now use different copies of that icon (that allows overwrite them in additional lods)
* voices2.D.lod was merged into mmmerge.D.lod and is no longer necessary.

Better usage of vanilla MM8 resources has allowed to reduce archive size from 491 MB to 450 MB.

cthscr
Golem
Golem

Unread postby cthscr » 08 Apr 2022, 14:38

And a first bug - unsellable items. Put npc.lua into Scripts/Core to fix. (Fix is included in Fixes and Revamp.)

thomzon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby thomzon » 09 Apr 2022, 12:03

Hi all,

Neither one of the OneDrive and Dropbox links seem to be working anymore. Is there an alternate way to download the full mod ?

Return to “Might and Magic”