Holly wood or holly crap?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Holly wood or holly crap?

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Feb 2006, 14:55

Im really sickend with whats called a movie these days.Lets start from the begining.Recently I watched the 51. State.Its supposed yto be an action with comic elements,but its neither intense,nor funny,but simply and above all completely dumb.It reallt makes you wonder what were they thinking when they made this bullshit.

Then there are two "hystorical spectacles".They both took opposite extrimes,and neither did it right.Julius Cezar is an effort to sum ones whole life in two hours.A pathetic effort.Characters are as alive as woden dolls.It really makes you wonder why brutus changes his oppinions so quickly and in such dumb fashion.If I knew no history this movie would be such a puzzle for me.

The second one is the Passion of Christ.If you really like to watch someone being tortured you might find it brilliant.If not,then its just a three hours waste of time.I remember that there is a movie called Jesus Christ that is as long as this one,yet it covers the whole life of jesus.Further yet,in the Passion there isnt a single thing thats been shown that wasnt shown in Jesus Christ.I think hollywood producers need a lesson from the past of what a real hystorical spectacle is.They need to watch Ben Hur and Spartacus over and over again until they get some clue!

:disagree: :disagree: :disagree: :disagree: :disagree: :disagree:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Feb 2006, 15:00

Dude, in the end all they care about is the bottom line. It's not their fault people actualy pay to see the movies.

And haven't you heard!? Dumb is the new funny.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Feb 2006, 15:07

I just had an amazing idea for a new movie!This guy discovers a forum on the internet and gets so excited about all the petitions that are there,that he decides to start petitions of his own.The first 15 minutes of the movie should be the introduction with a lot of blitz scenes,and the next exciting 3 hours would be about him starting a petition for everything that he can think of,from save the whales to exterminate all yews! :devious: :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Feb 2006, 15:10

Yeah, i'm sure lots of people will want to see that. :no:
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 03 Feb 2006, 17:00

DaemianLucifer wrote: (...) from save the whales to exterminate all yews!
Why would anyone want to exterminate the Taxus baccata tree??
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 03 Feb 2006, 17:35

There are enough good movies out there to find the one you like.

Movie bashing can be fun but it really doesn't make sense to bash movies just for bashing's sake.

Try 40 year old Virgin for laughs
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Feb 2006, 17:55

gravyluvr wrote:There are enough good movies out there to find the one you like.
Oh yes,there are.But the last good movie I watched was The Butterfly Effect.And it is at least 6 months old.
gravyluvr wrote:Try 40 year old Virgin for laughs
40 yo Virgin is a good comedy,but not so special.Hollywood is too overrated.

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 03 Feb 2006, 18:43

Butterfly Director's Cut is the only way to see that movie!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Feb 2006, 18:57

If you want to see a movie that will really knock your socks of, try Downfall. It's a german film, but don't let the subtitles scare you. The movie blew me away.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Feb 2006, 19:15

Ah yes,downfall is also excelent.And it is a bit newer than the butterfly.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Feb 2006, 20:16

gravyluvr wrote: Movie bashing can be fun but it really doesn't make sense to bash movies just for bashing's sake.
There's also the whole "new spam opportunity" thing, so it's not only "for bashing's sake". ;)

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 03 Feb 2006, 21:26

ThunderTitan wrote:Dude, in the end all they care about is the bottom line. It's not their fault people actualy pay to see the movies.
Yeah it is, he paid too see the movie too :).

Seriously, no point complaining about ppl keeping on making bad movies because of the money when you still go out and give them money anyway. Personally, I only visited a cinema twice in the past year (star wars and hitchikers) and saw maybe half a dozen movies on DVD (some good ones out there still, like Napoleon Dynamite, I [heart] Hucklbees) but determinately avoided seeing movies that I knew would be sucky. Do the same!

PS. Butterfly Effect felt pretty stale to me. The alternate-historical scenes were so formulaic (this person's in a bad way in this one, that person's bad in the next one) and the whole thing was so poorly explained... it really didn't do it for me.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Feb 2006, 13:32

Psychobabble wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:Dude, in the end all they care about is the bottom line. It's not their fault people actualy pay to see the movies.
Yeah it is, he paid too see the movie too :).
Do you really think that Id pay to watch a movie as crappy as lets say King Kong(the new version)??!!Hell no!I just have the priviledge pass to the projector room,thats all :devil:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 04 Feb 2006, 14:40

Actually I was rather entertained by the new King Kong.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 05 Feb 2006, 20:10

When did there get to be a rule that a movie must include at least one big explosion? (often with the heroes managing to outrun the fireball!)
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 07 Feb 2006, 15:45

Some one should make a movie about all our doings here. That would be a great movie :hoo:
Grah!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Feb 2006, 19:34

How about a movie about Hannibal. He could be played by Vin Diesel. :devil:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Feb 2006, 19:36

O,yeah!That one would rock hard,baby!Id definetilly pay to watch that one!

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 14 Feb 2006, 02:11

charleswatkins wrote:When did there get to be a rule that a movie must include at least one big explosion? (often with the heroes managing to outrun the fireball!)
Because there are people who will think a movie is awesome solely on the basis that lots of things blow up, and it would cost more to use makeup to make the heroes look charred and/or use props of scorched corpses if the heroes didn’t escape. :devious:

Fyl
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Fyl » 14 Feb 2006, 05:52

it's not only Hollywood that's overrated, almost everybody working in any kind of massmedia is running after money

and even the 'overrated' word doesn't fit here properly, actually nowadays movies match their audiences, average movies for average ppl (i.e. ppl that don't really care what they watch, just going to a movie)

and the Oscars, what do you expect ? American prizes for American movies mostly, so much money are at stake in this industry, it is difficult to find a non-biased jury with movies from eveywhere

I personally am disgusted nowadays even by watching regular and sports news not to mention a 2-hour movie filled with 1-hour commercials

TV is overrated

Return to “Campfire”