Expansion HOMM 5

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 31 Aug 2006, 10:49

*Sigh*
The red-skinned Haven units are NOT the so-called renegades. Things are a bit more complicated here than it might look at first sight.
Even so I admit that the big thing that wasn't disclosed has something to do with the "Renegades". :)

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 31 Aug 2006, 10:52

Please JJ, just tell it or stop teasing :D

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 31 Aug 2006, 11:20

Anyone knows where JJ lives?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 12:29

Thelonious wrote: By the way, anyone else thinks the pheonix looks like a dragon?
Anyone else thinks it looks like crap? :devious:

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 31 Aug 2006, 14:25

DaemianLucifer wrote: Anyone else thinks it looks like crap? :devious:
All Nivals dragons look likecrap :P
They woudn't be dragons if they were good looking ITO.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 31 Aug 2006, 14:48

well since the red haven units wich have changed their skin are not renegades , they can just obe haven ... but since i don t think nival would bother chang the skin of an entire faction JUST for fun ...
You know what i am thinking ... well they did implement another part from HIV : we now can choose between two types of the same creature each time ...
That make sence and this should be THE great news... am I close JJ ??

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 31 Aug 2006, 15:07

:)
H IV had no upgrades, though. Only basic units to pick from.

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 31 Aug 2006, 15:14

Thelonious wrote:Uhg. I don't really know if I'm happy with the add-on. It seems to me that the dwarven faction units where overlooked in the process of creating their magic. There are too many dwarves, and why did they have to add yet another dragon(like) creature...

As for the renegade skin set - this totally kills Nival's argument to make female hero models. They could've added those as well if they were busy remoddeling the Haven units. I wonder, if I would enter the Nival development center, what in the world those guys are doing with this game. I think they're like: 'Hey we've got a cool idea, but it'll cost us a big time to implement. Well, then we'll just have to give the fans some other flashy useless things to satisfy them.'

By the way, anyone else thinks the pheonix looks like a dragon?
No it doesn't. Renegade Haven = new TEXTURES, not models. In fact, most of the textures are just old ones that used to be in the game but were changed. So even there they skimped. None of the models are new.

On the other hand, female heroes = new models and new textures. Retexturing is easy. Creating a brand new model, animating it, and programming it to work is not.

However, I still don't believe it's "too hard" like they claim (they just did it again for the Dwarf hero and I assume his campaign version). They just don't want to take the time to do it. Which is sad but what are you gonna do?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 15:15

Jolly Joker wrote::)
Its way better because you dont necessarily have to have a shooter in each town if you prefer melee units,no bland and unlogical upgrades(plague zombie,for example).

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 31 Aug 2006, 15:28

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Jolly Joker wrote::)
Its way better because you dont necessarily have to have a shooter in each town if you prefer melee units,no bland and unlogical upgrades(plague zombie,for example).
I think it was crap. Not the basic idea to have something to pick. But the way it was done.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 15:37

Jolly Joker wrote: I think it was crap. Not the basic idea to have something to pick. But the way it was done.
There I agree.It was too unbalanced.Thank god for the equi though.But what I really would like to see is a mix between HIV and disciples systems.Or,more preciselly,a mix between HIV and WoG systems.

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 31 Aug 2006, 15:38

Jolly Joker wrote:*Sigh*
The red-skinned Haven units are NOT the so-called renegades. Things are a bit more complicated here than it might look at first sight.
Even so I admit that the big thing that wasn't disclosed has something to do with the "Renegades". :)
Modding support?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 31 Aug 2006, 15:46

Sauron wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote: Anyone else thinks it looks like crap? :devious:
All Nivals dragons look likecrap :P
They woudn't be dragons if they were good looking ITO.
And btw most good looking dragons are taken by other games (D&D) etc, so this may point out that nival want to be unique...in a ugly dragon looking way :devious: ;) But Im glad these looks like drakes, and I hope they will be named DRAKES.

Drakes and mammoths ethernal!

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 31 Aug 2006, 16:26

DaemianLucifer wrote:There I agree.It was too unbalanced.Thank god for the equi though.
how did equi do it? just out of curiosity? i never played it.

and i think theres nothing wrong with their dragons. maybe the emerald dragon is an exception, and some other dragons should have been colored better, but other than that their fine imo. the phoenix could have been done better, but its still not terrible. as for the dwarf dragons- the upgraded looks great, but i think the unupgraded should be colored different (as it is it really looks pretty bad). other than that, their good.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 17:02

soupnazii wrote: how did equi do it? just out of curiosity? i never played it.
Simple(well,not really.The theory is simple,but its execution is not).They just tweaked the stats of the creatures,the necessary buildings,etc.For example,the venom spawns became immune to poison,faster on the adventure map,and the vamps became a bit weaker and more expensive.Now you really have to think what youd like to buy.Though some more tweaking is necessary,of course.
soupnazii wrote: and i think theres nothing wrong with their dragons. maybe the emerald dragon is an exception, and some other dragons should have been colored better, but other than that their fine imo. the phoenix could have been done better, but its still not terrible. as for the dwarf dragons- the upgraded looks great, but i think the unupgraded should be colored different (as it is it really looks pretty bad). other than that, their good.
Sylvan dragons are...Well,weird.One is pale,and the other is just sooooo green.And all of them look too smooth.Just look at the dragons in HII.Theyre rough,and trully evil and magnificent.These are just oversized lizards.They dont look terrifying at all.

As for the dwarven drakes,they look just like dinosaurs set on fire.Hmm...Nival really likes putting things on fire,dont they?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 Aug 2006, 17:36

Sir Charles wrote:Those anti-haven units didn't just get new colored clothes. They got complete make-overs. Once you see the storyline behind them AND the altered abilities you'll get it. But there's no town for them from what I've heard.
Demonic troops for Isabel? How Warcraftian.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 31 Aug 2006, 17:52

then again, any dragon without wings just looks like an oversized lizard, right? except for horns and spikes... these guys are just named wrong. theyre really drakes. in H1-3, the dragons were always drawn in the same style- standing upright on their hind legs. thats not what a draon is supposed to look like. H4 had the right idea - set the down on all fours - but their graphics were so amazingly bad that it still looked like crap (at least the black dragon. megadragon was a bit better). now they finally made dragons that actually look like dragons. if anything, these are the most realistic dragons in the Heroes history, even though they may not look as evil as previous dragons. and about the dwarven dragons- think about it, their actually only 3d vewrsion of the same types of dragons from H1-3, just set on fire (and without wings). and since they are lava and magma dragons, there shouldnt be a problem with that.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 18:06

soupnazii wrote:then again, any dragon without wings just looks like an oversized lizard, right? except for horns and spikes... these guys are just named wrong. theyre really drakes. in H1-3, the dragons were always drawn in the same style- standing upright on their hind legs. thats not what a draon is supposed to look like. H4 had the right idea - set the down on all fours - but their graphics were so amazingly bad that it still looked like crap (at least the black dragon. megadragon was a bit better). now they finally made dragons that actually look like dragons. if anything, these are the most realistic dragons in the Heroes history, even though they may not look as evil as previous dragons. and about the dwarven dragons- think about it, their actually only 3d vewrsion of the same types of dragons from H1-3, just set on fire (and without wings). and since they are lava and magma dragons, there shouldnt be a problem with that.
Ok,if you are going to pull realism here,dragons should look like extremly long serpents with no wings,since the chinese dragons were first,not the europian versions.So no dragons in heroes game looks like they should.

Also,why must a dragon be on all fours?Why cannot it be upright?In D&D games they stand on their hind legs using their tails as a balance,and it looks great.

And lava/magma dragons are among the dumbest names.Especially if they are to be used togheter for the basic and upgraded creatures.I sure hope these are named very different.They should be drakes.Maybe fire drake -> something drake.

Warlock
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Warlock » 31 Aug 2006, 18:09

Fire -> Magma makes the most sense to me.

I think they should have done:
Fire (or Red) Dragon - http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2xj8.jpg (on the far right of course)
Magma Dragon - http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10db8.jpg (but with the same wings as the above image)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 31 Aug 2006, 18:16

Warlock wrote: Fire (or Red) Dragon - http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2xj8.jpg (on the far right of course)
Where the hell did you find that cool picture?And I think itd be better wingless.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”