Ubi and Copy Protection

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 21 May 2006, 14:15

ThunderTitan wrote:All praise HP. Guess she won on all fronts.
I'm glad that no SF meant just that … No SF! even in the Russian version. I am happy to have had a small part in the removal of SF, but there were many people whose outcry helped eliminate SF from our favorite game.

But all the same, thanks TT. For a while there, I was the most unpopular person on both this forum & UbiSoft's. I even got banned over at the UbiSoft forum for speaking out against SF. However, now I have been unbanned. It was all worth it. :proud:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 May 2006, 14:38

But none of them was as "entusiastic" as you. ;)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 22 May 2006, 17:03

Kalah wrote:Since we have now learned that UbiSoft have decided not to use the notorious StarForce program in their Heroes series, we can leave that discussion. Instead, let us focus on its replacement: Sony's SecuROM. It has filtered out that Ubi intend to use SecuROM in Heroes V, and of course this is quite understandable.
I believe you on UBI not using SF but just out of personal curosity, how do you know, without a shadow of doubt' that UBI is using SecuROM? So far I have not seen any 'official' statement on what CP they are using. All I've seen are the fans input.. Where is the official statement stating what CP they are using? Is it written on any of the H-V retail game box by any chance? Is it on their website somewhere I havent been able to locate? I've emailed UBI's support asking them what CP are they using and they seem to be ignoring my question because they won't tell me.. How do you know what they are using for sure, does the game tell you? hmmmm :|

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 23 May 2006, 13:08

addicted wrote:
Kalah wrote:Since we have now learned that UbiSoft have decided not to use the notorious StarForce program in their Heroes series, we can leave that discussion. Instead, let us focus on its replacement: Sony's SecuROM. It has filtered out that Ubi intend to use SecuROM in Heroes V, and of course this is quite understandable.
I believe you on UBI not using SF but just out of personal curosity, how do you know, without a shadow of doubt' that UBI is using SecuROM? So far I have not seen any 'official' statement on what CP they are using. All I've seen are the fans input.. Where is the official statement stating what CP they are using? Is it written on any of the H-V retail game box by any chance? Is it on their website somewhere I havent been able to locate? I've emailed UBI's support asking them what CP are they using and they seem to be ignoring my question because they won't tell me.. How do you know what they are using for sure, does the game tell you? hmmmm :|
I looked through the manual and box and readme files, but I didn't see any identification of the copy protection scheme.
All I do know is that the game's check for an original disc in the drive times out too quickly- if you don't have autorun active, then if you put the DVD in the drive and double-click the desktop icon / shortcut/ whatever too quickly, then you get an error about not finding an original disk in the drive.
If you have autorun active, then you obviously don't need to click on anything- the game will come up on its own.

I don't know if there is a similar problem with CD versions, since I only have the DVD version.

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 23 May 2006, 13:34

The copy protect looks looks like SR to me.. it even detects if you have the latest version of daemon tools installed and refuses to run if you have any images mounted.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 May 2006, 20:23

If I remember correctly, Fabrice told us about SecuROM on the official forums, so although there has been no announcement to speak of, it has been verified by the producers.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”