Holly wood or holly crap?

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 26 May 2006, 21:29

No I hope not but I do sometimes. Good story too though.
Just saw Shattered Glass, now that's an interesting movie too :-D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 26 May 2006, 23:07

I'll take this oppurtunity to thank Corribus for his reccomendation of the movie "Downfall". Recently I got a netflix account and it was the first film to get here. Excellent movie really. I could go on, but since this thread seems to be more based on bashing films I'll just leave it at that.

Any other films you have tucked away that I should know about? :D
Hell has frozen over...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 May 2006, 23:14

The butterfly effect is an excelent one if you like those:"Is it SF or is he just crazy" movies.

And if you like war movies,saviour is an excelent one.A bit older though.I doubted that it can be good,but after watching it Im sure its excelent.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 26 May 2006, 23:17

DaemianLucifer wrote:The butterfly effect is an excelent one if you like those:"Is it SF or is he just crazy" movies.
No, I don't like those films(recall Fight Club discussion.) And "Memento" is like that also. Most of those films rely too heavily upon the 'shock' to draw the viewer in. Why not have good writing instead of using a gimmick?
Hell has frozen over...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 26 May 2006, 23:22

Fight club has no SF ellements,just the lunatic ones :devil:

And the butterfly effect has excelent writing.You can also find a few messages hidden in it if you really like.

And 12 monkeys is an excelent movie as well,even though bruce willis is staring.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 May 2006, 23:28

DaemianLucifer wrote:The butterfly effect is an excelent one if you like those:"Is it SF or is he just crazy" movies.
Funny, never got that from Butterfly Effect. It was more like "Will he fix his life or go insane?" type of thing! It ain't very SF either.

If you want a good movie you can't go wrong with Arsenic and Old Lace. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 01 Jun 2006, 03:23

I had a free "non new release" movie rental yesterday at Blockbuster and I rented an Eastwood Western I had never seen before, called Pale Rider. It was just great - worth the 3 or 4 dollars for an old movie rental if you're bored and need something entertaining to watch. Reminded me why I liked the old spaghetti westerns so much.

Will there ever be a actor who can top Clint Eastwood in a western? No way, no how. The man just personifies awesome.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Jun 2006, 12:16

Corribus wrote:Will there ever be a actor who can top Clint Eastwood in a western? No way, no how. The man just personifies awesome.
The guy that played The Bad from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" did give him a run for his money.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 01 Jun 2006, 13:52

Lee van Cleef is great, yeah :-D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 02 Jun 2006, 00:13

Lee Van Cleef is so fantastic in that film, but Eli Wallach(Tuco, also known as the Rat) takes the cake as the best perfomer in that film. It really is a shame to see Cleef in really bad films like "It conquered the Earth" or "Master Ninja" when it is obvious that he actually has talent. Money rules all it seems. And obviously Eastwood is the coolest guy ever.

Corribus, I am always bored and never have anything to do. I'll be sure to go and check out "Pale Rider". Thanks again for "Downfall"! :hoo:
Hell has frozen over...

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Jun 2006, 05:45

While we're on the Spaghetti westerns, let me recommend Once Upon a Time in the West. Fonda, Robards, Bronson, Cardinale -- all in what might have been their best roles. Amazing score. Gripping story. Unbelievable cinematography. And of course Sergio Leone. What a great flick!
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 02 Jun 2006, 14:00

Derek wrote:Lee Van Cleef is so fantastic in that film, but Eli Wallach(Tuco, also known as the Rat) takes the cake as the best perfomer in that film. It really is a shame to see Cleef in really bad films like "It conquered the Earth" or "Master Ninja" when it is obvious that he actually has talent. Money rules all it seems. And obviously Eastwood is the coolest guy ever.
I own Good, Bad, Ugly on DVD and it's been a while since I watched it. Now I have to go do so again.
Corribus, I am always bored and never have anything to do. I'll be sure to go and check out "Pale Rider". Thanks again or "Downfall"! :hoo:
I'm not sure I'd rank it quite up there with Good, Bad and Ugly or Once Upon a Time in the West, but I found it very entertaining nonetheless. Maybe it's just because it's been a while since I saw a Western? I don't know - I'd be interested in your opinion.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

gravyluvr
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby gravyluvr » 04 Jun 2006, 05:43

Catching up on the hollywood discussion...

6-cent films... (6th Sense, Usual Suspects, Butterfly Effect, Fight Club, Memento, Frequency, etc.) can be very enjoyable if you let yourself go with the movie. Personally, I've found them to be truly fun to watch and a good mindbender. In fact, in the last ten years, those have been some of my favorite types of movies, and while they do have some similarities to one another, they are a great replacement from the "franchise" movies and modern remakes. As a reader of "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" as a child/teen I fell in love with these themes.

As far as westerns, I actually liked Silverado and Tombstone as far as modern classics.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
If I were a flower, I'd be a really big flame-throwing flower with five heads.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 08 Jun 2006, 01:14

Corribus wrote:
Derek wrote:Lee Van Cleef is so fantastic in that film, but Eli Wallach(Tuco, also known as the Rat) takes the cake as the best perfomer in that film. It really is a shame to see Cleef in really bad films like "It conquered the Earth" or "Master Ninja" when it is obvious that he actually has talent. Money rules all it seems. And obviously Eastwood is the coolest guy ever.
I own Good, Bad, Ugly on DVD and it's been a while since I watched it. Now I have to go do so again.
Corribus, I am always bored and never have anything to do. I'll be sure to go and check out "Pale Rider". Thanks again or "Downfall"! :hoo:
I'm not sure I'd rank it quite up there with Good, Bad and Ugly or Once Upon a Time in the West, but I found it very entertaining nonetheless. Maybe it's just because it's been a while since I saw a Western? I don't know - I'd be interested in your opinion.
I'll be renting those films this weekend or so, I shall certainly post here once I view them.

Has anyone seen the Red Balloon? Certainly one of the better films I've seen recently. Very heartwarming, and usually I'm against sentimentalist stuff. Maybe its because I'm getting older that I find such films better.

@gravyluvr
I'm against such films when the mindbender thing has problems that seem to contradict scenes that were earlier in the film(Fight CLub and the scene in the car when they crash for example...) Nobody has explained that scene to me in to satisfaction.
Hell has frozen over...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Jun 2006, 05:21

Derek wrote: I'm against such films when the mindbender thing has problems that seem to contradict scenes that were earlier in the film(Fight CLub and the scene in the car when they crash for example...) Nobody has explained that scene to me in to satisfaction.
Really?I dont find something special in that scene.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 01 Jul 2006, 16:11

@Corribus
Pale Rider is an interesting film, that much I can say for certain. It really is a perfect example of ambiguousness and film and as to whether or not it detracts from the overall enjoyment of it. If you watch the film straight through there are many things that just are never told to you:

SPOILERS

Is Eastwood an angelic figure or not?
Why does the Richard Kiel character become his friend?
Is it possible that Eastwood is the husband that ran away earlier from Megan?
Did he have sex with Megan's mother?
What's his reltaionship with the Marshal and the six deputies?
The reoccurring idea if rape never seems to be fully panned out, what is the significance of it?

END SPOILERS

I'm drawn as to whether or not these questions detract from the film or not, but nevertheless I did find the film to be quite some fun(Ebert gives the film 4 stars, but I don't really agree with that). Next on the list of Spaghetti westerns is High Plains Drifter, should be fin.

@Caradoc
I just watched that movie last night, Once Upon a Time in the West.

Wow! :hoo:

Possibly the greatest score for any film ever. There was some dragging of feet in this film, but still it is quite a ride from start to finish. Henry Fonda is so perfect in this role... :devil:
Hell has frozen over...

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 02 Jul 2006, 21:28

In Pale Horse, the Eastwood character is a ghost, which answers most of the questions. Of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, it is Death that rides the pale horse.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 03 Jul 2006, 14:26

Caradoc wrote:In Pale Horse, the Eastwood character is a ghost, which answers most of the questions. Of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, it is Death that rides the pale horse.
I understand that about the Four Horseman, I am merely saying that assuming he is a ghost makes other questions come to light. For example, why help the people if he is one of the Four Horsemen? To exact revenge against that Marshal? How did he know that he'd show up?

Still, the rape subtones are not answered and that's what I'm giving some thought about regardless of the above.
Hell has frozen over...

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 04 Jul 2006, 05:28

I really don't remember any rape subtones. When he finally made love to Carrie Snodgrass at the end, he seemed almost reluctant, as if fulfilling some obligaton. What did I miss?

The girl was reading Revelation when he showed up. It's not that he was really a Horseman but that she was praying for death.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 05 Jul 2006, 14:29

Caradoc wrote:I really don't remember any rape subtones. When he finally made love to Carrie Snodgrass at the end, he seemed almost reluctant, as if fulfilling some obligaton. What did I miss?
The "rape subtone" scene that most sticks out is when the girl (can't remember the characters' names) rides to the mining camp alone and the miners start to tear her clothes off... but Pale Rider saves her.

Return to “Campfire”