Heroes of Might & Magic: Olden Era unveiled at Gamescon

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Noneofyourbusiness
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Heroes of Might & Magic: Olden Era unveiled at Gamescon

Unread postby Noneofyourbusiness » 17 Sep 2024, 14:38

Pol wrote: 02 Sep 2024, 15:58 New Hero Aeos has been introduced. It's not clear, if she's still human but she's The Saint.
Where did you find these Hero profiles?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Sep 2024, 16:09

Noneofyourbusiness wrote: 17 Sep 2024, 14:38 Where did you find these Hero profiles?
They release one teaser a day. Considering that game is having several hundreds element, that might go like for about a year or longer. Watch their discord. ;)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Sep 2024, 19:52

"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 24 Sep 2024, 22:33

Oh, I'm surprised. :)

Not actually going to play the game, but somehow 'pleased' that it has not quite died out yet, one can wonder how the franchise might yet evolve in days where games have been failing badly due agendas or by ignoring their fan base. As it seems, they're focusing on the older fans, which is rather impressive — IF done correctly. :rolleyes:

Plus, it brought some old times around here again, and it's nice to learn folks are still around. :hug:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » Yesterday, 15:13

Like famous gemini Castor and Pollux, there comes twins Zenith and Nadir.
alphyna wrote:"Zenith. I think, archetype-wise, whoever stayed in the womb longer would end up being the "darker" twin."

Skirmish Heroes:

Map Objects:

Animations:

"We made it!"

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » Yesterday, 15:21

Panda Tar wrote: 24 Sep 2024, 22:33 As it seems, they're focusing on the older fans
They seems to be focusing on all fans. Emphasis on fans. Hopefully times of Erwan La Breton are gonne, his vision faded and blurred. That's is, if you can "Attack now, think later!" consider for a vision, at any (weak) point.
"We made it!"

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » Yesterday, 17:07

Pol wrote: Yesterday, 15:21 They seems to be focusing on all fans. Emphasis on fans.
To me it seems that they focus on story. Want to tell everybody a story, which they themselves have fallen in love with. In these heroes we see that skirmish gameplay heroes are like they would be a part of the main campaign. Skirmish maps are the ones that mapmakers do, right?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » Yesterday, 17:14

Pitsu wrote: Yesterday, 17:07
Pol wrote: Yesterday, 15:21 They seems to be focusing on all fans. Emphasis on fans.
To me it seems that they focus on story. Want to tell everybody a story, which they themselves have fallen in love with. In these heroes we see that skirmish gameplay heroes are like they would be a part of the main campaign. Skirmish maps are the ones that mapmakers do, right?
There's so far only one "unification" campaign, which serves as introduction to all factions. I'm afraid that we can hardly talk about alluring homm fans to story, yet.

Thought, It might be their plans for later times. ;)

Skirmish heroes should serve for Duel mode. So, specific type of maps. But, how it will be done in editor and what will be possible combinations, ..endless possibilities right now. They need to release a "bit" more chunks of info, ..at least.
"We made it!"

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » Yesterday, 19:21

A bit more indepth modes explanation, stacking and strategies.
Devlog#2: Game Modes pt.1 : Classic and Single-Hero
"We made it!"

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » Today, 10:59

Pol wrote: Yesterday, 19:21 A bit more indepth modes explanation, stacking and strategies.
Devlog#2: Game Modes pt.1 : Classic and Single-Hero
That was much more inetersing than the hero bios. Good that they have recognized some key issues and gave a thought how to handle them. Fanbase will certainly be divided, and I am not sure that trying to please everyone by allowing different rules for different game modes does not end up in a total mess, but we can try.

Mastering troop transfers and stack splittings are certainly vital for competitive play. Hopefully they can also generalize that in turn based games the success comes down to details since without timeconstrains one can optimize a lot. Thus it is micromanagment in general that a) determines success b) consumes time. To make things worse micromanagment needs to be done at right moment. If you forget to split troops before battle, it is too late to do it in battle etc. Smoothness in troop/artefact buying, transfer, splitting and in all other micromanagment is something that can and should be improved a lot. Many fan-made mods of older HoMMs have also done excellent work.

The main hero and support hero concept is on the one hand right, but on the other hand one could ask should it be? To accept it as a "core principle" would leave out entire row of possibilities particularly for single player games. If we take HoMM3 inferno, it was, on larger maps, reasonable to have to main heroes - one with efretogeddon, and other with devils etc. If one had armageddon spell and access to fireimmune creatures, it made sense to not combine all best troops to a single hero. HoMM4 was unique because most heroes did not boost creatures with their primary stat values. Therefore splitting up armies did not weaken them and barbarian heroes were armies by themselves. Hence there could be towns were splitting armies up could be a viable strategy. Factions having different strategies is a desired feature, is it not? The entire main hero concept is something I would not artificially strengthen. It is somewhat inevitable, as someone has to take the lead and do the most difficult battles, but again it may reduce strategy in the end. On some reason it reminds me a PvP game from HoMM5 beta. I captured his castle and my main hero was defeated when his main hero retook his castle in a siege battle. It was like day 2 week 4, my secondary hero had 2 week growth units at my castle while he had less than a weeks worth creatures with his main hero. I thought I could still win, but since my main hero was defeated, the opponent declared himself a winner and refused to continue.

Return to “News”